Be Thankful if you are enjoying good times...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Be Thankful if you are enjoying good times...

Post by AJMD429 »

While out spending borrowed-money to replace our water heater(s) - one leaked and the other is the same age, so the other 'old' one will become a spare, since to replace either one I have to pull out the washer and dryer and so on, and I don't want to do this again in six months - I was bumming because
  • - I would rather be reading, or shooting, or reloading
    - I also have had to spend another surprise $500 on vehicle repairs
    - I also continue to have to lie and say I do less than I do when I see Medicare patients
    - I need to spend some time doing business 'strategizing' to deal with Obummercare
    - I really HATE 'plumbing' more than anything other than hanging wall-paper
    (I'd rather check ten fat-guy's prostates than replace a water-heater)
So, while on the way home with my 20 year old daughter, who I hope to teach some home-repair lessons, we decide we're hungry, and 'deserve' some Wendy's or Dairy Queen - but wait, between us we have three dollars cash, and I don't want to use a credit-card at the drive-thru - so we go to Kroger and buy 'real' food. While my daughter stays with the truck and water-heaters so nobody swipes them, I go in to purchase another $30 worth of food on 'borrowed money' via credit-card. I feel irritated that I have to use my credit-card for the 'office' to buy groceries, but have to since I made a mere $1,500 last month, which didn't even cover our basic family expenses.

When I get to the truck, my daughter says some 'guy' spied our two new water-heaters in the back of the truck, and approached her to ask:
  • - do you want any help installing those...?
    - do you want me to haul away the old ones, since I can get money for 'scrap metal'...?
    - any other recycling or labor or whatever I can do for you...?
She's a cute twenty year old, and her concern was "is this guy going to swipe our $700 worth of water-heaters" or "is this guy a pervert who is after me", but when I talked to him, he was a genuinely NICE guy, caring for a genuinely disabled wife, who was in a position where he had no fancy-schmancy 'education' like I do, nor was he a member of a politically-connected 'union' who could work 2 hours and get paid for ten, or a member of a 'protected class' of 'minorities' or whatever who could just suck off 'welfare'.

I will keep the second of our 'functional' water heaters for a spare, in the barn ready for an emergency replacement for our house or our rental-house, and the one which leaks will likely become range-fodder at the fifty-yard line. We don't need (nor can really afford right now) any 'help' installing them. So, I took the guys phone number and will sincerely try to pile him up a bunch of our 'scrap metal' over the next few months.

Anyway, I know this is a rambling post, but I feel more connected to guys like this, even though our approach to life is so different (me with 13 years post-high-school education, over-educated but thereby able to get lots of 'good' job offers, and him with likely no diploma, or poor grades, but a CLEAR WORK ETHIC, and willing to do what it takes to get bread on the table), we have FAR more in common than I do with the average spoiled-brad 'yuppie' type who run most of the corporations or policital machines these days. My most recent medical student plans on becoming an interventional radiologist, and is headed so far from my value-system and income-strata, that I feel far more in common with this probable-high-school-dropout than I do a fellow 'physician'.

I returned home to deal with several hours of 'plumbing' hassle, THANKFUL that I have an education, and prayerful that this guy gets some scrap metal or work he can do to keep on keeping-on.

I also pray to God that our 'government' quits screwing both him and myself, in favor of the wealthy that Obama likes or the lazy-poor that Obama exploits for votes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Be Thankful if you are enjoying good times...

Post by Blaine »

I think most of us have to "make" our own good times....There are many things worse than living way UNDER your means :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I feel for you AJ,
I spent 30 years in corporate America before I retired.
I can honestly say I felt no " kinship " with my peers in all that time.
When I walked out, I never went back ,I did not even go to my retirement party; and that was a big tradition there.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thats a lot of the problem today. The decent, hard-working people with a good idea of right and wrong, who were raised to believe these qualities made a difference, feel more and more isolated and alone. I'm glad there are places like here. It does help.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sorry Doc for Your problems. Wish I was closer (a lot closer) that was one of My 3 trades since 1976, Handy Man, Drywall and Melon Packer.
This actually ties in with My post on j45guns Thread. here I go again. Yesterday My Wife and I went to Urgent care for Colds,Flu or whatever and both given scrips for antibiotics. I didn't bother to ask how much they would be. She has Drug coverage , I dont. Same drug- Hers $28, Mine $65. Now I know the ins didn't pay $37 of Hers. again sorry, maybe I should go lie down and quit reading.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Be thankful if you are up, functional and not in pain.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote:Sorry Doc for Your problems.
I guess I didn't express it very well, but what I was trying to say is how THANKFUL I AM that I am 'enjoying good times'. Sure, I would rather be doing other stuff, and I really didn't have the money this month to be dealing with water heater stuff (or car repairs), BUT MY POINT WAS THAT I STARTED THE DAY OUT FEELING BUMMED FOR MYSELF, and here I meet a guy whose rusted-out-truck is probably worth less than the 400 rounds of 45 ACP ammo I just got from SportsmansGuide, and who would be willing to put in a couple hours work salvaging the metal from a hot-water heater for what couldn't be more than ten bucks or so worth of metal.

I don't have "problems" - the other guy does. Yet there he is, out looking for work, trying to get by, when there are too many people out there unwilling to work who just want welfare, or who are 'educated' like me, but paid ten times what they're worth, and enjoy taxing the rest of us so they can feel 'good about themselves' passing out welfare to the ones who don't want to work.

Prayers up for that dude that he finds some metal to recycle, work to do, and keeps on being a good husband; a far better role model than those our society typically worships.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have those moments too, I'm sure a lot of us do. I think i'm having a bad day and then I see
one of the hospital's choppers buzz down the shore or some poor bugger riding a bike to work in the rain because he's got no wheels and I realize that my problems are not so big.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
If this is any help, its gets worse as you get older. You begin by saying "Oh screw it, I'll fix that next week" or "Ahhhh, the Jeep will run another 5 years" etc, etc, etc. Thats all I wanna do anymore is shoot, reload, cast bullets and hang out in the gunroom. Why? Well, I've been working since I was about 12 (46 years?) and I'm just tired of always being "Mr. Responsible"

But.............the guy I am and the guy YOU are, as with the guys here on the board, we will continue to do the "right thing" and do our part for society and our families. Its who we are................get over it and put that heater in! Now!!! Then chop the firewood, change the oil in the truck, pay your bills, pick up the mail, and most of all, get back to the office------------THERE'S MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS DEPENDING ON YOUR HARD EARNED INCOME!!!

Now.............Who's the dummies?

We are a dying breed my man. Be glad we were born when we were. I feel sorry for the young-uns. If I get to reach old age, I'll (and we) will be able to tell our grandkids, "I remember when the country was free and thats all we had to do was work.-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep it's going to get better, Thanks 6. :wink: . fourty years ago My Grandfather told us all that the Unions would Die........and then start all over again when People Got tired of getting it from "the back end". :o ....... When the wage earners refuse to work for "nothing" in the rest of the world then the Jobs may come back to the U.S.A.........not to worry our President has it all covered.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

32 years of VODOO ECONOMICS. How's that working for us? :cry:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, you're a good man. If I were closer, I would find some scrap to spare or some work that needed doing. A man taking care of a disabled wife has my heartfelt sympathy. My father took care of my mother with Alzheimers for 12 years, hand-feeding her for the last six or seven. God could have asked no more of him.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most of you know that I got laid off last summer. At first I was all panicked, then, after a couple weeks I realized that, as I round the turn into age 62, this was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can save up for a thing or three if I need to, but, I'd never have gotten all this time back if I had kept working. I'm free at last, free at last...Thank God, I'm free at last :idea: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:Most of you know that I got laid off last summer. At first I was all panicked, then, after a couple weeks I realized that, as I round the turn into age 62, this was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can save up for a thing or three if I need to, but, I'd never have gotten all this time back if I had kept working. I'm free at last, free at last...Thank God, I'm free at last :idea: :lol:
My Dad retired at 62, Got on his boat and sailed from Lake Erie all the way to Trinidad and back.
I just turned 45 and hope I can retire at the same age, however I have no such desires to sail the Caribbean. I want to sit on a hillside out West and hunt until I can't walk anymore. That's my idea of retirement!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I walked out, I knew I had set myself free.
Best feeling in the world.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

I use to pee and moan about the shape I'm in. Terminal heart issue, blown back and so forth. Should have already bit the dust from what the doc says. But ya know what, I still wake up every morning, still have a loving wife and two kids and getting ready for my 1st grandchild. You gotta look at the bright side and theres always one there, just hunt for it. 13 yrs ago I could hike for miles, throw a punch with the best of them and love my woman all night, now can't do 90% of what I use too. But I can still throw a line in the water, plink a few rounds and kiss my wife goodnight.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I could still do roofing and cement work, but not at the pace I once did.
So I guess I do not have room to comment beyond that.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

There's the old saying of "when we complain of our feet hurting, remember the guy that has no feet", it's easy to lose sight of what we have. I got caught up, for a time, in the griping of miniscule things with co-workers, until my wife and I has some heart to heart talks. She set me straight, and I have said often, the last 5 years I worked were the most fun for me of the near 27 years I was a controller.

When I took stock of my overall work experience and conditions, I had NOTHING to complain about.

I wonder often about folks out of work, and when I hear stories like I did last night. A young man in his early 20's is a construction worker. He is not a skilled worker, in that he isn't a journeyman carpenter, or cement worker or bricklayer, but is just a step above a laborer, yet when he is working a "union" job, he gets paid $40 per hour. :o :o He does the foundations and trenching for plumbing/electrical, etc. He is a good and honest hard working man but is not skilled enough to earn $40 an hr. Sorry.

Now I am all for a man getting high wages, when he is qualified for it, but come on $40 an hour for sub journeyman labor? Half that would seem appropriate to me, and you could hire two people. Not to mention it drives the cost to build through the roof.

I watched the union for air traffic controllers (NATCA) browbeat the FAA to higher and higher wages, and I told our local union president that he was headed in the wrong direction and the FAA budget would not support it. He disagreed and kept pushing for higher and refused to give in or compromise in any way. Well the FAA broke them using the regulations against them. The result?

They forced a new contract, that cut new hires pay to almost half what it currently was and capped them well below (40% below) the then current cap. It's moves like that that left a sour taste in my mouth for unions and caused a huge rift between controllers and the support personnel (that didn't get the previous raises) and ended up causing greater and greater work related griping.

It also, for a time, caused the FAA to STOP all hiring of new controllers, because they could not afford more. Hiring resumed when the new contract was put in place. Guys like the one in the parking lot, would have been happy to have earned $20 an hour as a laborer.

For the OP, since I retired and moved to the central coast region here, I have left all kinds of stuff in the back of my truck, sometimes for hours, and have had NOTHING taken. I see work trucks with all sorts of power tools gas cans, you name it, left in the back of the trucks ,and no one bothers it. What a switch from where we moved from. No way would I have left tools in the back of my truck there. I have driven here for 2-3 weeks with full cans of gas in the back of the truck and never had one bothered. VERY blessed to be where I am, and blessed to live how I do.

I do feel that sometimes we make our own "good fortune" but it's nice when God makes it obvious His hand is in it as well.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

"- I really HATE 'plumbing' more than anything other than hanging wall-paper"

AJ, I take it you're not an urologist?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Doc , you are no different than that young fellow, you do what takes to take care of your family. In your case putting in your own hot water heater. Young or old that mentality still exists. As far as playing more , who doesn't want to do that. The only reason I work is to make money to take care of my family and do the things I like to do. But I must admit ,the older I get , work just isn't as fun as it use to be. But I am a curmudgeon in training.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

tman wrote:32 years of VODOO ECONOMICS. How's that working for us? :cry:
I've made a good living these last 32 years, so I say good. There is no master plan to accomidate equality for 300 million people in this country. You can make a go of it , but nobody says it's easy.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

2ndovc wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Most of you know that I got laid off last summer. At first I was all panicked, then, after a couple weeks I realized that, as I round the turn into age 62, this was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can save up for a thing or three if I need to, but, I'd never have gotten all this time back if I had kept working. I'm free at last, free at last...Thank God, I'm free at last :idea: :lol:
My Dad retired at 62, Got on his boat and sailed from Lake Erie all the way to Trinidad and back.
I just turned 45 and hope I can retire at the same age, however I have no such desires to sail the Caribbean. I want to sit on a hillside out West and hunt until I can't walk anymore. That's my idea of retirement!

jb 8)
I agree with your idea of retirement! Unfortunately, thanks to my first wife, I'll have to work longer than 62. I need to go to 66 to make my finances work out the way that I want them to. Luckily, I really like my job and at 59, I am not really ready to retire.

However, I could be coaxed into spending the majority of my remaining days sitting on that western hillside.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:While out spending borrowed-money to replace our water heater(s) - one leaked and the other is the same age, so the other 'old' one will become a spare, since to replace either one I have to pull out the washer and dryer and so on, and I don't want to do this again in six months - I was bumming because
  • - I would rather be reading, or shooting, or reloading
    - I also have had to spend another surprise $500 on vehicle repairs
    - I also continue to have to lie and say I do less than I do when I see Medicare patients
    - I need to spend some time doing business 'strategizing' to deal with Obummercare
    - I really HATE 'plumbing' more than anything other than hanging wall-paper
    (I'd rather check ten fat-guy's prostates than replace a water-heater)
So, while on the way home with my 20 year old daughter, who I hope to teach some home-repair lessons, we decide we're hungry, and 'deserve' some Wendy's or Dairy Queen - but wait, between us we have three dollars cash, and I don't want to use a credit-card at the drive-thru - so we go to Kroger and buy 'real' food. While my daughter stays with the truck and water-heaters so nobody swipes them, I go in to purchase another $30 worth of food on 'borrowed money' via credit-card. I feel irritated that I have to use my credit-card for the 'office' to buy groceries, but have to since I made a mere $1,500 last month, which didn't even cover our basic family expenses.

When I get to the truck, my daughter says some 'guy' spied our two new water-heaters in the back of the truck, and approached her to ask:
  • - do you want any help installing those...?
    - do you want me to haul away the old ones, since I can get money for 'scrap metal'...?
    - any other recycling or labor or whatever I can do for you...?
She's a cute twenty year old, and her concern was "is this guy going to swipe our $700 worth of water-heaters" or "is this guy a pervert who is after me", but when I talked to him, he was a genuinely NICE guy, caring for a genuinely disabled wife, who was in a position where he had no fancy-schmancy 'education' like I do, nor was he a member of a politically-connected 'union' who could work 2 hours and get paid for ten, or a member of a 'protected class' of 'minorities' or whatever who could just suck off 'welfare'.

I will keep the second of our 'functional' water heaters for a spare, in the barn ready for an emergency replacement for our house or our rental-house, and the one which leaks will likely become range-fodder at the fifty-yard line. We don't need (nor can really afford right now) any 'help' installing them. So, I took the guys phone number and will sincerely try to pile him up a bunch of our 'scrap metal' over the next few months.

Anyway, I know this is a rambling post, but I feel more connected to guys like this, even though our approach to life is so different (me with 13 years post-high-school education, over-educated but thereby able to get lots of 'good' job offers, and him with likely no diploma, or poor grades, but a CLEAR WORK ETHIC, and willing to do what it takes to get bread on the table), we have FAR more in common than I do with the average spoiled-brad 'yuppie' type who run most of the corporations or policital machines these days. My most recent medical student plans on becoming an interventional radiologist, and is headed so far from my value-system and income-strata, that I feel far more in common with this probable-high-school-dropout than I do a fellow 'physician'.

I returned home to deal with several hours of 'plumbing' hassle, THANKFUL that I have an education, and prayerful that this guy gets some scrap metal or work he can do to keep on keeping-on.

I also pray to God that our 'government' quits screwing both him and myself, in favor of the wealthy that Obama likes or the lazy-poor that Obama exploits for votes.

Feel for ya Doc--------------prayers up things get better and you recoup some of your expenses.
I try to explain to my wife-------that its that bad that a Doctor can (have it fairly tough)
Doc--------------I think she thinks you are not a real Doc :lol:

Cause she wants to know how a Doctor is only making(after costs,like $20 @ hour or I think it was close to that ???

Bottom line----she thinks--(I think)-------------------------can't be??? I tell her-----you are real! :wink: (a real Doc)

But-----I hope nothing breaks on you and this year----(you make some big $$$ and you/family stay healthy)

ps----last week my water heater(was sick,only warm water)I played Doc -----it was the top element(corroded and split)bottom working but really correded.
Cleaned tank/cleaned bottom element/replaced top element($18)installed new PRV($11) for good measure.
Hot water------flowing! :wink:

Also----for anyone reading this with (a clothes washer) if you don't shut off your shutoff valve(water supply to washer)when not in use always,or have the type valve with has the pressure sensor built in valve----------------------at a minimum-------------use braided Stainless hoses.(no rubber---when they go/they go)
If you have never seen a burst washer water line with water not shut off and it probably being when you are gone or asleep or not right where the washer is at that time)-----you don't want to :shock:
What I have found----The wife will probably at some point not shut off valve each time(most don't have the sensor ones installed)make it a rule of thumb(use SS braided lines)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gosh, I remember when I could pee freely.

:P :oops:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Gosh, I remember when I could pee freely.

Bill, You just need to decide which is more important; freely or often.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Damien, lately it has been often, danged swollen prostate.

:oops: :lol:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

AJMD429. I havent read this entire thread but have read many of your posts in the past. You have continualy shot down all my pre conceived pictures of doctors! You sure must be a honest one and I would use you were you in my area. I had thought all doctors are rich and none would be on a internet chat site as they must be looseing a $1,000s a hour by talking to us! Thanks!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

madman4570 wrote:[
Also----for anyone reading this with (a clothes washer) if you don't shut off your shutoff valve(water supply to washer)when not in use always,or have the type valve with has the pressure sensor built in valve----------------------at a minimum-------------use braided Stainless hoses.(no rubber---when they go/they go)
If you have never seen a burst washer water line with water not shut off and it probably being when you are gone or asleep or not right where the washer is at that time)-----you don't want to :shock:
What I have found----The wife will probably at some point not shut off valve each time(most don't have the sensor ones installed)make it a rule of thumb(use SS braided lines)
Your a smart man we think alike :wink:

I took it a step farther when I built this house ,it has a crawl space foundation so i installed drains under the washer and hot water heater for extra peace of mind.

When ever both of us are going to be away for any length of time I have a main water valve in the Hot water closet that I close before walking out the door.

AS far as being thankful, I give thanks many times a day for the friends I have and life's pleasures that I am able to enjoy.

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J35nut wrote:
madman4570 wrote:[
Your a smart man we think alike :wink:

I took it a step farther when I built this house ,it has a crawl space foundation so i installed drains under the washer and hot water heater for extra peace of mind.

When ever both of us are going to be away for any length of time I have a main water valve in the Hot water closet that I close before walking out the door.

AS far as being thankful, I give thanks many times a day for the friends I have and life's pleasures that I am able to enjoy.

--J
Smart thinking----- :mrgreen:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I had a high stress, high responsibilty job.
The ones that went before me are drugged out, alkyed out or have commited suicide.
I think I did good.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J35nut wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Also----for anyone reading this with (a clothes washer) if you don't shut off your shutoff valve(water supply to washer)when not in use always,or have the type valve with has the pressure sensor built in valve----------------------at a minimum-------------use braided Stainless hoses.(no rubber---when they go/they go) If you have never seen a burst washer water line with water not shut off and it probably being when you are gone or asleep or not right where the washer is at that time)-----you don't want to :shock: What I have found----The wife will probably at some point not shut off valve each time(most don't have the sensor ones installed)make it a rule of thumb(use SS braided lines)
Your a smart man we think alike :wink: I took it a step farther when I built this house ,it has a crawl space foundation so i installed drains under the washer and hot water heater for extra peace of mind. When ever both of us are going to be away for any length of time I have a main water valve in the Hot water closet that I close before walking out the door.
I put a solenoid-controlled water valve in the main incoming line that is hooked to the burglar alarm - when the alarm is ON, the water pressure in the house if OFF; we'd have some leakage, but just enough to de-pressurize, if on the second floor. If on the first, all the plumbing is in rooms with tile or concrete floors that are at least 1-1/2" lower than the other floors and the thresholds are caulked. Two floor drains also.

However, You may need to 'flush' the floor drains now and again to keep them going ok; one of ours slowed down recently and backs up after about five gallons.

By the way, I had three different building-supply stores tell me "they don't make anything like that" when I asked for an electrically-controlled valve capable of 100 PSK and ok for potable water. Yeah - this in a huge city renowned for its manufacturing and chemical industries. :roll: I'm sure none of the starch-plants or liquid-gas companies or Eli Lilly have any such valves in their plants. Grainger has everything, though... :wink:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
J35nut wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Also----for anyone reading this with (a clothes washer) if you don't shut off your shutoff valve(water supply to washer)when not in use always,or have the type valve with has the pressure sensor built in valve----------------------at a minimum-------------use braided Stainless hoses.(no rubber---when they go/they go) If you have never seen a burst washer water line with water not shut off and it probably being when you are gone or asleep or not right where the washer is at that time)-----you don't want to :shock: What I have found----The wife will probably at some point not shut off valve each time(most don't have the sensor ones installed)make it a rule of thumb(use SS braided lines)
Your a smart man we think alike :wink: I took it a step farther when I built this house ,it has a crawl space foundation so i installed drains under the washer and hot water heater for extra peace of mind. When ever both of us are going to be away for any length of time I have a main water valve in the Hot water closet that I close before walking out the door.
I put a solenoid-controlled water valve in the main incoming line that is hooked to the burglar alarm - when the alarm is ON, the water pressure in the house if OFF; we'd have some leakage, but just enough to de-pressurize, if on the second floor. If on the first, all the plumbing is in rooms with tile or concrete floors that are at least 1-1/2" lower than the other floors and the thresholds are caulked. Two floor drains also.

However, You may need to 'flush' the floor drains now and again to keep them going ok; one of ours slowed down recently and backs up after about five gallons.

By the way, I had three different building-supply stores tell me "they don't make anything like that" when I asked for an electrically-controlled valve capable of 100 PSK and ok for potable water. Yeah - this in a huge city renowned for its manufacturing and chemical industries. :roll: I'm sure none of the starch-plants or liquid-gas companies or Eli Lilly have any such valves in their plants. Grainger has everything, though... :wink:

Decent units-------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otj568xY7Cs

But I think the best setup(HD Stainless Steel hoses combined with these shut off's below)

http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-conten ... -valve.jpg
Then put up a big bright sign "shut off valves after each use" and insist everytime wahing done its done.
I think that is better than even the above Floodchk units.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm an old man with a lifetime of experience. I, and my relatives built this house and the one before it so I can, and do, fix whatever goes wrong. What I wonder about; how do people who have no skills to do these things manage to get by? If I had to pay someone to change out a commode or put brake pads on my wife's car I just couldn't afford it. I'll be 74 next week and can no longer get down on the floor on a creeper to change a starter. I still have a couple of sons to help and a Grandson coming along to help soon if I can just teach him enough before I croak. Doc, I'm truly happy for you being blessed with the ability to take care of these things.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Count your blessings, both my grandfathers were dead before I came along.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What I don't get is WHY water heaters eventually have to leak; it seems like they could be made of stainless steel or some other material that simply would NOT corrode like that. I can see the heating elements deteriorating, but the TANK...????

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The age old mystery is no mystery,
parent material
heat
electrolysis
water wih minerals
treatment of water
hot /cold cycle
lot of stuff going on
I have had good luck with installing a ? ( forgot now ) micron filter on the input side of the heater.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Gosh, I remember when I could pee freely.

Try those cranberry caplets, I think it helps.

I'm in my best time, I think I was just due. I have everything I want, and some things I don't. I'm old enough to be caught up financially and young enough to still enjoy certain activities. I'm starting to appreciate naps more, though. Guess that's the future. I hope I will have a five-year window before things change, and that I'll be prepared when they do.

When I was younger I felt buffeted by the winds of circumstance, and spent a good amount of time spinning my wheels. So even though I was conscientious and hard-working, my youth was misspent. I finally got lucky with a decent job and have stuck with it for 11 years so far. So I'm thankful.

Obama's re-election was a wake-up call for me that tough times might be closer than I thought - not sure what health care will do but it looks like it will take most of my disposable income. So it may be back to hard times. Well let's all have a good year.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:What I don't get is WHY water heaters eventually have to leak; it seems like they could be made of stainless steel or some other material that simply would NOT corrode like that. I can see the heating elements deteriorating, but the TANK...????
Where was leak coming from?

Many times it is a tiny leak from loose stem on drain valve(that from just looking at it(appears to be the tank)
Sometimes your PRV will expel some water because of a pressure surge running down outside of tank appearing to make it leak or condensation on tank can make it drip.

Often times those living outside city limits having there own well system,many systems have higher than normal sediment which builds up faster in tanks bottom causing premature corrosion(rust-out)! If you got 12years out of tank------(you did ok)???????
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Often times those living outside city limits having there own well system,many systems have higher than normal sediment which builds up faster in tanks bottom causing premature corrosion(rust-out)! If you got 12years out of tank------(you did ok)???????
Not a valve, and the pressure-valve goes into a drain, so I think it is the tank. Plan to take it apart enough to see this weekend (and salvage it if it IS just a fitting or something), but I think it is the tank itself, because it is not the upper or lower heating element, the pressure relief valve, the drain valve, or the input or output connections.

It seems like a bunch of lime or sediment still shouldn't make the thing corrode... :(

Then again, I think CARS should be made of all stainless steel and plastic, too... :|

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

damienph wrote:
2ndovc wrote:

jb 8)
I agree with your idea of retirement! Unfortunately, thanks to my first wife, I'll have to work longer than 62. I need to go to 66 to make my finances work out the way that I want them to. Luckily, I really like my job and at 59, I am not really ready to retire.

However, I could be coaxed into spending the majority of my remaining days sitting on that western hillside.
Almost verbatim, you must have been researching my life.

Only difference...getting burned out fast, harder and harder to motivate myself. The lust seems to have faded for my profession (power semi conductor biz).