357 mag Low wall

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

357 mag Low wall

Post by barbarossa »

What would be your opinion of a low wall in 357mag with a 26inch barrel for Deer hunting?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 357 mag Low wall

Post by FWiedner »

I've killed several whitetails inside 100yds using a .357Mag carbine pushing a 158gr JSP at 1800fps from an 18" barrel.

I think your set-up sounds great, but I say that without knowing what species of deer you're hunting, what range you're considering hunting at, or what load you're planning to use in your longish barrel.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree with FWiedner. We need a little more information before we can give you a good opinion. The low wall should handle enough pressure to get everything the .357 is capable of out of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

an advantage to a single shot is you can load 180-gr .35 spitzers to 1800 fps
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... dID=HO3505
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've killed over fifty deer with a 357 mag and some were well past a hundred yards. Bullet expansion is greatly reduced beyond seventy-five yards so bullet placement is critical. I have recovered quite a few bullets out of the deer and have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Unless you can place your shot well and with regularity, I'd suggest keeping the distance below one hundred yards. Bullet expansion is not reliable with the heaviest bullets and the lighter ones don't penetrate as well. I've had my best results with 158grain bullets at all distances. I think in a rifle expansion might be acceptable with a 180 grain if the muzzle velocity is pushed up. The Low Wall should be able to do this. What brand of rifle is this? I've been looking for an 1885 in this caliber for quite a while but they rarely ever show up for sale.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I'm on the single-shot 357 Maximum bandwagon....at least I will be as soon as I can find some 357 Max brass. Would reaming the Low Wall to 357 max be an option?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

barbarossa wrote:What would be your opinion of a low wall in 357mag with a 26inch barrel for Deer hunting?
Very high, out to 100yds, or so.

Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I know Mike Bellm cuts chambers for Max in Contender and H&R barrels, but has to charge extra for the H&R due to difficulty of setup in his lathe. At some point I'd like a Max carbine barrel to go with my 10". Glad now I bought that extra bag of brass back in the day.

Read what he has to say about Max chambers before you let just anyone ream yours: http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=120

Post by Twodot »

barbarossa wrote:What would be your opinion of a low wall in 357mag with a 26inch barrel for Deer hunting?
An even better idea would be for you to send this rifle to me for "testing" :wink:
Sounds like a sweet outfit to me :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Probably be every bit as effective as my .45Colt Lo-Wall.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Easy to rechamber an NEF barrel. I just put the barrel, vertically, in the vise (padded jaws) put the reamer in a tap holder, lube it and turned it by hand. The chamber is mostly cut being 357 mag already. I didin't find any need to chuck it in the lathe.

Took about 5 min. carefully checking to make sure I didn't cut the rim recess any deeper. Did my Ruger #1 that way also. Piece of cake.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Contender with a 14" Hunter barrel reamed to 357 Max & throated for spitzers. Great for a treestand or swampbucks.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein