Photobucket hate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Photobucket hate

Post by Panzercat »

While I wouldn't go so far as to say I despise photobucket with an unholy passion these days, the new update is a bit too overblown for me. I went searching for something else and found Dropbox. Heard good things about it so I thought I'd give it a try. It does require a hair more prep to setup, but it seems lightyears easier to use and manage.

To start, you will need to register. Duh.
More importantly, it will prompt you for a download you will need to install.
Why? You manage dropbox from your computer, which is mirrored on the internet Dropbox site.
Dropbox will install. It will ask you for a location to share. The default should be ok for most people.
Throw a photo into the folder. As long as dropbox is running on your PC, it automatically syncs the photo to their site.
Now you can either right-click on the photo, select dropbox and get the url to share or manage the photo from thier site.

I threw this one up in about five minutes aft installation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l914j56drgd9c0b/1911.jpg

PHPbb doesn't seem to like the link with img tags, however.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Photobucket hate

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Panzer, I opened an account at flickr for the same reasons. Among other major irritants, with the new Photobucket, when I upload a photo it doesn't go to the top, but seems to go just about anywhere that I am not looking for it.

GRRRRRRRR...

:evil: :evil: :evil:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Dropbox seems to be the new medium for sharing and uploading video and photos, I have been hearing about it for about a year now. Since I broke down and opened a Twitter acct, I might as well keep up with the program and get a Dropbox acct. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The Internet isn't free, the people who curse Photobucket are getting what they pay for. :lol:

While I have a bunch of websites on two different hosts, I still host photos on Image Event. Yes, it's a pay site, but to me it's well worth the $2 a month or whatever it costs me. No headaches, no bandwidth limits, no fuss.
Slow is just slow.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Anything that requires installation of proprietary software won't work for me - been running linux for years.

The trouble with photobucket is not that it's got a low end free service that people bitch about but still use, the problem is that they "improved" that service, trying to make it, for lack of a better word, more "facebook" -- adding "stories" to photos? give me a break....

One could of course argue that they are trying to make it more appealing, boost use, and thus ad revenue, so that it is all about the $$$....
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I ,for one, have no issues with Photo Bucket. It works good for me.
You can like or dislike anything you wish. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I finally switched over to the beta photobucket a week or so ago. Uploaded a couple pics to it and strange as it may seem they went straight to the top.
No problems.

However, I really do wish they'd quit FIXING it! :x

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

cas wrote:The Internet isn't free, the people who curse Photobucket are getting what they pay for. :lol:

While I have a bunch of websites on two different hosts, I still host photos on Image Event. Yes, it's a pay site, but to me it's well worth the $2 a month or whatever it costs me. No headaches, no bandwidth limits, no fuss.

Uh, no. People that pay for photobuckets premium services are just as mad about how they messed it up as the free users, if not more so. The help forum is chock full of extremely irritated premium users that feel they have been cheated out of a service they paid good money for, and now can't use as they intended and were used to doing. Many have mentioned it has seriously hurt their business because of how they changed the functions.

What most are mad about is that they took a service that worked fairly well and turned it into a service that doesnt work very well, is very annoying and slow to use, has a lot of bugs, and empty promises about fixing them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Panzercat,
Dropbox has been around for a few years and is widely used by many companies, individuals, and university students for file sharing.
My small company uses it for our business data files and I also use it for my personal file libraries.
When they began allowing collection of photos from cameras and smart phones, I began using it for that too.

Interestingly, it had not occurred to me to replace my Photobucket use with Dropbox where my pictures are already stored. Thanks for the idea.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Just installed dropbox on a second machine under the same account. Was worried about potential conflicts in folder structure, but dropbox replicated the same structure that was on my laptop and internet and automatically mirrored it to my desktop. Kinda liking this. To point, I took these on my laptop and uploaded them to the dropbox a couple days ago. I just installed DB on the desktop and voile, instant backup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76ffz0klpmacdpp/1911b.jpg
R200 w/JBP holster ($21.81 w/shipping!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqbmymottpyx4df/1911a.jpg
With 8 round mag and hex screws for the grip.

The only potential problem I see in that is if one computer or the other computer goes a while without an update and you build up a lot of media to mirror from one machine to the next. I don't anticipate it being a huge concern knowing my habits. Still annoyed that it won't show the image via /img tags however.

Test. Want to see if this works and for how long... About 6 hrs apparently
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
1894c

Re: Photo-bucket hate

Post by 1894c »

I say we get a posse together, load up, and ride hard and fast against "photo-bucket"...my Jeep is standing by... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Photo-bucket hate

Post by Griff »

30wcf wrote:I say we get a posse together, load up, and ride hard and fast against "photo-bucket"...my Jeep is standing by... :)

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that you can't automatically have all your pics open up in one window, without scrolling down while it slowly loads the photos.

You have to select an option when you upload pics to have them placed at the top, or default (bottom) of the album your uploading to.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

I've been using hunt101.com for years with no issue.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I am having no problem with PB. Works fine for me. I wonder why some are having such a problem - differing platforms? I run nothing but Apple.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I am having no problem with PB. Works fine for me. I wonder why some are having such a problem - differing platforms? I run nothing but Apple.
My experience with it is that it doesn't run well with some of my older OS's. I would assume that the problems are even worse with older Windows machines.

I'vefound no bugs using it with my newest linux installation, then its only the annoyance of how they've changed things like using a popup window for the photo links rather than the pull down menu that it used to use. Seems like they've made it less convenient to move stuff around as well, but that could be more a matter of un-familiarity with the newer version.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

92&94 wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:I am having no problem with PB. Works fine for me. I wonder why some are having such a problem - differing platforms? I run nothing but Apple.
My experience with it is that it doesn't run well with some of my older OS's. I would assume that the problems are even worse with older Windows machines.

I'vefound no bugs using it with my newest linux installation, then its only the annoyance of how they've changed things like using a popup window for the photo links rather than the pull down menu that it used to use. Seems like they've made it less convenient to move stuff around as well, but that could be more a matter of un-familiarity with the newer version.
I agree that some of their "tweaking" creates more cognitive turmoil than this old dog wants! :lol: Oh well, change keeps us sharp. :?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
92&94 wrote:

I agree that some of their "tweaking" creates more cognitive turmoil than this old dog wants! :lol: Oh well, change keeps us sharp. :?
I'm pretty much with you. This change wasn't nearly as irritating as the last one. Works fine for me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just updated my PhotoBucket and there doesn't seem to be any issue for me .

I'd like to get rid of th "Stories" thig in the library but other then that seems okay to me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !