Little project I have been working on. Update Pg. 3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Little project I have been working on. Update Pg. 3

Post by JReed »

Now keep in mind I am not finished yet but getting close. For those that are facebook friends you have been following along with this already but I now think I am at a point that I can bring the rest of you all up to speed.

I have talked on here in the past of building a boat well the hardest part of that undertaking is picking out a design. For any who have looked into it there are thousands of designs out there on the web. So it had taken me several years to narrow it down to one boat to be my first build.
Here is the link to the one I chose
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/m ... /index.htm

So now for the next obstacle convincing the wife that this is a good idea :lol: . While building your own boat can be cheaper then buying one it is still a chunk of funds invested. With that out of the way I ordered the plans last august.

Due to a shoulder surgury last May I wasnt able to get to work on it right away. Then deer season hit and the holidays and honey does but I was finnaly able to put in some real time the past few weeks.

So on to the pics :D

Splicing the side pannels together

Attatching the sides to the temp frames and the stem.

Installing permanent bulkheads (Look ma a boat shaped mess :lol: )

Here is where we really get down to buisness. Bending on the chine logs (rails running along the bottom) and the gunwales (rails running along the top). These are 1 1/2" x 1/2" x 16' long pine. In the pics you can see the complex curve they have to conform to. I used only brute force to bend them on no steam and used screws to clamp them in place while the glue dryed. after this the hull shape really fairs out and the 1/4" ply sides gain some much needed rigidity.
I like a nice butt 8)

Now that those are on its time to trim up the top and bottom edges. Here is the first time she has seen the bright light of day since she was just a stack of lumber :D .

Now back in to start cutting out the bottom panels. These are 1/2" ACX Fir very solid stuff compaired to the sides.

Now that those are cut and fit good enough for Government work its time to glue them up.

Those dried over night so on to the permanent instalation. The edges are ring nailed down as well as being glued the weights you see are providing clamping force where the bottom contacts the bulk heads.
All so got the rudder parts cut out and the lee board ruffed out and laminated.

Now time for her to get a tan while I do some sanding.

Last Saturday I placed my order for the epoxy and fiberglass needed to finish the hull. Unfortunatly there was a packaging mix up and all I have recieved is the epoxy the company has done right by me in the past and has assured me that the problem will be fixed monday morning so until the rest of my suplies show up I am stuck in a holding pattern. I do have a the endges trimed up now and sanded flush, all the screw holes are filled and sanded, and any gaps in the pannels on the out side have been filled and sanded smooth.

So there she is at ths point. I will update as get her finished up.
Last edited by JReed on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little project I have been working on ( warning pic heav

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty Cool!

I've been fixing and rebuilding boats since I was a kid but I've never built one from scratch.

That one is just screaming for a little inboard diesel motor! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

She isnt built stong enough to handle a motor. Once I get the hull done I can get to work on the sail rigging. I have the mast glued up just need to do the final shaping then have to laminate the spars and sew up the sail.

Here is a cool article on the same boat as I am building. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/pro ... index.html
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Who did you have to con for use of the shop?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Its my shop. Its good to be the Gunny :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Nice work. Looks like you will be underway in no time. I have been really wanting to build a strip canoe for years, but every time I get the room to work in my garage, something else comes up that crowds me out. I am looking forward to seeing your boat completed.

I love small boats and canoes! Thanks for posting.

Kevin
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh,
That explains it.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Kevin have you thought about a Skin On Frame? They require the same build space but due to the speed that one can be built you can get it out of the garage in a 1/4 of the time.

Mescalero
:D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JReed wrote:She isnt built stong enough to handle a motor. Once I get the hull done I can get to work on the sail rigging. I have the mast glued up just need to do the final shaping then have to laminate the spars and sew up the sail.

Here is a cool article on the same boat as I am building. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/pro ... index.html
I know,
just a lame attempt at humor!
:D

jb 8)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The designer does have plans for some power skiffs of the same size that would make great lake runners.
Jason I saw the humor but my reply came across harsher then I had intended :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Always wanted to build something like the WWII Navy Whale Boats. About half scale with a little inboard thumper
and tiller at the stern. Though that make a killer river / shoreline cruiser.
About the size of the African Queen but with out the steamer. :D

Man now ya got me thinking about another boat! :shock:

jb 8)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I bet there are plans out there for something similar. Remember google is your friend :lol: And yes I am an enabler :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Jeremy that is very impressive and a lot of work i`m sure. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jeremy, if you haven't found it already there is a forum at www.southernpaddler.com

that you'll find interesting. A lot of folks there start with a pirouge (pee-row) as their first home made boat.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL !! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks like a great project ! I'm sure you will get lots of fun out sailing that little beauty... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rusty I will give them a look.

Pitchy I have about 50 hours into it so far and maybe about another 30 or so to go. Starting to get impatient to get her done so I can enjoy it before Uncle Sam sends me off on my next deployment.

Game keeper
I plan it I live on the banks of the widest river in the country so lots of water to play on. On top of that there is lots of National forest with beach access to pull up and camp on. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jeremy, that's a great pick for a project. You're gonna love that boat too. It's very capable. Hunting and fishing and snoozing in the evening sun. You might want a set of oars to Jim's plans for aux power.

Grizz
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The plans included a set of drawings and measurements for a set of oars :D they are also on the long list of things that still need to be completed :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Jeremy,

I have looked at and pondered many different build types. Being a carpenter, the strip build really appeals to me. I want to build one as much for the challenge as for the end product. I have followed builds of strip boats on another forum and I really have my heart set. I could easily take up a 50'x50' or bigger pole barn with boats and other projects. To bad I have neither the space to build such a barn or the finances.
The boat will happen, though, sooner or later. Keep us updated on yours.

Kevin
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Will do. Strip built sure does make a pretty boat. Maybe after a few more builds I will have picked up enough tools and skills to try one my self :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now that's a project! Very cool!!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

If anyone is interested in building a boat but not sure about starting from scratch the way Jeremy did, you can get complete kits. I built a cradle boat from this site: http://www.clcboats.com/

Their stuff is very good, well designed, thoroughly tested and reliable as to performance claims, and covers a large range of options, including strip built boats delivered with the strips already coved and ready to glue up. And it's not too very expensive if you consider all the costs of aquiring the necessary components and doing the layout and factoring in the waste of the mistakes and the time spent running stuff down. Getting a boat in a box and following the directions is the quickest way to the goal line at reasonable cost.

OTOH Jeremy's build is first class and illustrates how the technique has taken a lot of uncertainty out of the process. Good on ya, I can't wait for the "range test".
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Very nice job! My Dad built a boat when I was 13. Here's hoping your hives you as much enjoyment as we got from ours. Thanks for the pics and build story. Can't wait to see her afloat.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks a LOT like the little boats I learned to sail in back in Long Beach, CA when I was a kid. Rudder amidships on transom and a "daggerboard". Think I was about 8yo. Even used in racing back then. Never was good enough to really compete... but it was sponsored by the city, and great fun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very cool!
My dad and I built a bunch of boats when I was growing up ranging from a 7' Optimist pram to a 38' Bristol Channel Cutter (28' over the deck + 10' of bowsprit and boomkin). It's one of those things that gets under your skin.
One trick for gluing a flat sheet of plywood onto a curved surface (like on a bottom) is using a couple sheets of drywall as a clamp, follows the curve perfectly and is heavy enough to work just fine with epoxy.
Here's a picture of my folks sailing the Bristol the summer it was completed.
This is the current project, a little lapstrake tender.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice goin'.........

The pics remind me of the first boat I built, along with two friends, back when we were all about 13 y.o.

Because we were kids, we used what was free & available - scrap lumber, calking the joints with roofing tar. . :roll:

IIRC, our "boat", which we built in a playground about 200yds from a creek, turned out about 4' wide x 9' long - a real scow.

Because my pals & I couldn't budge it, we enlisted several adults/Dad's/etc, from the neighboorhood - who were probably more eager than us to get the darn thing out of the playground (It had been several weeks in building).

The crowning glory was when we launched it down the bank of the creek - It promptly sank :shock: , also sinking our/my boat-building plans for over 15 years. . :oops:

Good luck with YOUR much better designed project ! . :mrgreen:

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wow!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks all.

As Grizz said the easy way to build a boat is a kit like the CLC kits. They have some beauties on their web site and have spent much time drooling over their stuff.

Like a lot of you it seems I grew up sailing prams then Lidos then 28' Hunters and 36' Catalinas. Haven't hoisted sail in a long time and was looking for an affordable way to relearn and get my boys some tiller time as well. So hit up the great google search and found a wealth of plans and forums. The hardest part was making up my mind on which one to lay my money down on. Its alot like buying a gun just when you have your mind made up you read a review on another :lol: .

So how much $ are we talking about? So far I have about $600 in to it with about another $100 left to go. All the wood came from Lowe's and our local hardware store. The glue used is Titebond lll reinforced with stainless steel ring nails. Lots of sanding disks and a bunch of dust masks. The next step includes 3gal of epoxy, 50 yards of 3" fiberglass tape, 5 yards of fiberglass cloth and a pound or so of thickeners. The fiberglass kit was the big ticket item at about $280.

Did find out some good news today. The mix up with my fiberglass got fixed and it should arrive via big brown truck this Wednesday :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Looking great so far, JReed. Cant wait to see how its rigged. I'm getting set up to turn my Grumman canoe into a rowing/sailing rig to take on the Wabash this Spring.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That should be a fun boat. What type sail plan are you thinkin?

This will be sporting a 74ft2 balanced lug. The sail plan shows one reef point I will be putting in a second for safe measure. The winds here can go from a 5 knot breeze in the morning to 30 knot small craft advisory conditions by late afternoon. So need lots of flexibility in how much sail is flying as conditions change.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

yooper2 wrote:Very cool!
My dad and I built a bunch of boats when I was growing up ranging from a 7' Optimist pram to a 38' Bristol Channel Cutter (28' over the deck + 10' of bowsprit and boomkin). It's one of those things that gets under your skin.
One trick for gluing a flat sheet of plywood onto a curved surface (like on a bottom) is using a couple sheets of drywall as a clamp, follows the curve perfectly and is heavy enough to work just fine with epoxy.
Here's a picture of my folks sailing the Bristol the summer it was completed.
This is the current project, a little lapstrake tender.
That Bristol is beautiful. :D :mrgreen:
Not ready for that sort of project yet but I bet she sails like a dream.

Here is what I am thinking as builds for the boys.
http://www.kudzucraft.com/designs/ravenswood/index.php
And the next build for myself :D
http://kudzucraft.com/designs/longshot/index.php
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Those should be fun builds and that looks like a grand design for kids, stable enough to stay out of trouble. Never built a kayak but I have considered it on occasion. It'd be awful to fun for poking around the shoreline. I got some plans for a canoe that I was going to build over the winter but the money for that project ended up getting spent on a 375 Ruger.
These are the plans I have, ran about $60. Figuring on starting on it next month.
http://www.wooden-canoes.com/canoes/morris.htm
It seems like you're hooked!

Eric
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have looked at those they slick boats :D

Yea hooked for sure :lol: much to the wife's dismay :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,

Very interesting, I enjoyed the story and the pics of your work in progress.
I'm looking forward to the finished boat.

Now I have a couple questions for you.

You gonna paint it battle ship grey or camo?
And
Are you gonna mount a little cannon on the bow? :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,

Are you going to make the sail(s) yourself or buy it premade?
If your going to do them yourself, do you have a source for the canvas?

My wife has a link to a place called Top Value Fabrics.
{ http://www.topvaluefabrics.com/ }
They sell all sorts of fabrics including a variety of canvas.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:lol: Joe think I am going to use more traditional yachting colors :D

Believ it or not I will be using poly tarp for the sail. It is gaining a lot of popularity in the small boat world and is easy on the pocket book.
But I will save that to my favorites may come in handy when it comes to the kayak builds. Havent made up my mind on a salute gun yet but I do have a Jolly Roger to run up the mast :D

The big brown truck should be here tomorrow :D so I will be able to get back to work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

"Poly tarp". I didn't even know they made sails from that. Shows what I (don't) know, doesn't it.

Joe
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Way cool!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Got some more work done yesterday and this evening will put up some more pics tomorrow. Yesterday I epoxied the fiberglass cloth onto the bottom then spent all night stressing out praying I didnt screw it up :shock: . Went int to work this morning to find that all was right with the world :D . The epoxy cured fine and only had a couple small bubbles under the glass that I was able to fix easy. Spent my lunch sanding (the never ending chore :() and getting rid of all the ripples in the epoxy coat. This evening I went back in and rolled on a second coat of epoxy over the glass. I all so rolled a coat of epoxy on the sides.

Tomorrow I will do some more sanding and flip the hull right side up do anothe coat on the sides and start fiberglassing the interior seams.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little project I have been working on. Update!!

Post by JReed »

Ok got some more work done. I recieved the fiberglass on Wednesday so was able to get back at it.
The bottom is skinned with 6oz. fiberglass cloth. This will add some much needed protection for the bottom as the bottom conditions here run from oyster reefs, submerged logs, and sand.

Here it is with the glass relaxing to shape.

Then on to epoxy work. It took me about 2 hours to wet out the glass with epoxy.

After leaving overnight to cure I trimed the excess and took it out side so I could spend my lunch doing my favorite thing SANDING! :evil: :lol:

Dont have pics for the next step but once sanded I took it back inside to roll a second coat of epoxy on the bottom and to roll a first coat on to the side.

With that done time to flip her right side up and start filliting the inside joints with thickend epoxy.

Then on to laying the fiberglass on all the interior joints.
I also sanded the sides and rolled a second coat of epoxy on the sides.

Well since I am headed out of town for a few weeks this Tues. I needed to get her home so she wasnt taking up shop space with no work being done. One of the things that dictated the size boat I was looking at was my ability to transport it to water around the house. I dont have a trailor and dont want to by one so it needed to be no more then 48" wide so it could fit in the back of my covered truck (i.e. minivan :lol: )

Bow is pushed thru the front seats. So glad the other seats fold flat down into the floor.

Here is her resting place for the next few weeks while I am gone. All tucked in and put to bed.

Here is some pics of her home waters taken from the house. This is the Neuse River in North Carolina just upriver from the Pamlico Sound.
nice calm day

Today not so nice.

Here is a short clip of the water this afternoon.
http://s47.photobucket.com/user/saloons ... d.mp4.html
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little project I have been working on. Update Pg. 3

Post by Grizz »

Outstanding Jeremy

Love the boat. Really I do. I want to go for a ride.

May I ? Huh ? Please ? :D

You are doing a great job and you and your family are going to have SO MUCH fun !!!

There are no safe fishys or crocs now.

Be safe out there.

Grizz
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little project I have been working on. Update Pg. 3

Post by JReed »

Come on down round the end of May after I get back should have the sailing bits done then :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis