1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

1886 SRC

Post by tman »

I got a browning 86 SRC that I would like to have the barrell and mag tube cut to 20". Any suggestions for a gunsmith to do it ?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1886 SRC

Post by hfcable »

tman wrote:I got a browning 86 SRC that I would like to have the barrell and mag tube cut to 20". Any suggestions for a gunsmith to do it ?
i thought the carbine was already 20"?

i had the rifle with 26" barrel, and had rays gunsmithing in colorado springs, shorten it and turn it into a half round half octagon, etc
cable
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hmmmmmmm, McPherson, Clay, etc...

I don't quite understand the why of it other than you want to. I think for as large as the gun is overall the 22" is a perfect proportion. It certainly carries well and comfortably.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Hobie wrote:Hmmmmmmm, McPherson, Clay, etc...

I don't quite understand the why of it other than you want to. I think for as large as the gun is overall the 22" is a perfect proportion. It certainly carries well and comfortably.
I'm with Hobie on this one. Proportions of the 22" are about the same as for the smaller framed 92's and 94's standard 20" carbines. If I were to go to trouble of shortening, I'd perhaps shorten it further yet and make it a "trapper" to give it a more specific "mission" or purpose of shortening. Don't have a calculator handy but top of head calc for the same 20% reduction as the 16" 92/94 trappers represented would make that 17.5-18" or so for the '86?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I shortened mine to 20" and love it! It's the same length as a 94 carbine, fits the same scabbard/sheath, and carries great in hand in the thick stuff. I have no regrets whatsover about cutting it. I also put a good Lyman No 56 receiver sight on it, and mounted sling studs, the front one in the fore end band. I dont care for the mag tube type mounts, they just dont look quite right on old style guns. Inletting a knurled nut under the band for the stud gives a rock solid mounting thats easily removed when needed, and looks correct for older style guns.

Have a good smith do it. The magazine tube is threaded into the receiver, unlike the Browning 86 rifles, so the smith needs to know that when pricing the work, it isn't just a simple cut off from the back of the tube to shorten it. The mag tube needs to be bottomed out into the receiver before the magazine end cap screw is drilled into the barrel also.

Lyman No 56 sight,
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Malamute,
I remember when those Lyman 56's were common. Don't see 'em anymore. In my opinion, the classiest receiver sight ever made.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice carbine Malamute! A very well balanced and useful package. I agree that the 56 Lyman is probably the best looking sight for an old Winchester. I have scrounged all I can and put them on "special" rifles.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Thanks for all the replies. I need the shorter sight radius of 20" barrel. Since I was a kid, I shot better that way. Plus, I hunt in thick brush, so the shorter overall length and weight reduction is a big plus. Just looking for a good smith to do the job and not screw my baby up.