Computer question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Computer question

Post by AJMD429 »

Operation sluggish, especially when using 'Windows Live Mail' and sometimes the computer will not shut down without pressing the 'on' button for three seconds or whatever.

So I checked the program for my router, and the computer is sending out 'packets' fast and furiously, even BEFORE I open Live Mail...

How do I determine WHAT PROGRAM is involved and sending out packets so furiously...?

I have to assume until I know otherwise that there is some rogue program, virus, or malfunction in an 'update' program that is messing with me.

Long ago with slower internet, I had a computer lock up due to a huge incoming email (photos) that never fully loaded before I shut things down after a couple hours, but I can't remember if there were OUTGOING packets as much as incoming ones; I assume each packet requires an acknowledgement of some sort verifying checksums, but don't know if that outgoing information constitutes a 'packet' for purposes of tallying on the modem monitor.

Did I mention I like guns better than computers - they don't do this kind of mind-of-their-own nonsense... :|

P.S. McAfee sees nothing going on that is suspicious, and I used CCleaner to clean up the registry, plus "repaired" all the Windows Live suite using the Windows Utility, to no avail.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Computer question

Post by Pitchy »

Sometimes i`ll run a system restore back a week or so too fix some junk that got in.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Tremendous amount of outbound sounds like it's been hijacked and is being used to send out spam, etc.

Options you cited were a start, but not enough.

Go to this site for an on-line scan/clean program: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I can't tell you which one to download (32 bit or 64 bit) since I don't know your operating system.

As a crosscheck, try this program http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/

If you are blocked from going to these sites (some malware will mess with your internet settings) your problems are deeper than what we can handle in on-line troubleshooting
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It can also help if you go looking for your cure (antivirus program) using a different browser than what you normally use. I use Firefox normally but have Chrome and IE as well.

It can also help if you run the virus scan while your computer is running in safe mode and off line.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

The technical way to do it is download a packet analyzer and let it tell you what ports and addresses are using the most traffic. Then do a netstat to see the process that is using that port.

However, a good spyware and virus scan is easier.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

DOC check your inbox....
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

packet sniffer to check traffic

the anti virus is probably updating the signatures when you boot up.
anti-virus progs are essentially viruses themselves, they have to hack you to save you, know what I mean? antivirus software is one of the biggest chokepoints in a box.

if you use msft op system then there is a ton of useless junk in tmp folders that slow down the box.

do you have any rss feed subscriptions? they connect as fast as your box boots.

do you have a facebook account or twitter or any other "social" networking accounts?

they call home every chance they get unless you block them

do you have automatic updates turned on for your browser and email client and operating system and all the rest of the junk on a machine? they call home every chance they get.

do you have automatic time synch? this connects a lot.

with a sniffer you can filter out the udp traffic, which is 'usually' benign, although I have seen msft use the udp protocol to call home when the tcp protocol was blocked by my firewall.

and with tcp protocol your machine sends ACK packets out to acknowledge successful arrival of sent traffic, so there is a constant dialog going on.

linux op sys with fire wall and no anti virus here, don't get viruses. but I also don't click every link I see either and I bind the little bugger pretty tight.

oh yeah, there are supercookies on your machine that are hard to find and hard to kill, you can search for info about dealing with them.

how many processes are running just at boot up before you open any software? on my windows boxes it runs between 10 and 15. on my wife's compluter it runs between 50 and 60. that's internal overhead before you do anything with it.

oh yeah, hp printers act like viruses too. try pulling the data plug on the printer and power it down, see if that makes a difference.

fun, eh?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

wecsoger wrote:Tremendous amount of outbound sounds like it's been hijacked and is being used to send out spam, etc.
Options you cited were a start, but not enough.
Go to this site for an on-line scan/clean program: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
I can't tell you which one to download (32 bit or 64 bit) since I don't know your operating system.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

All the complex solutions that download this and that come later.

1) Cntrl+Alt+Del... Start the Task Manager.
--If something actively stops you from doing this or the steps below, you have a virus, malware, etc. Safe mode is highly recommended at this point, see the paragraph after step #8.

2) Click the 'Processes' tab. Nearly everything that is running on your PC will be listed here.

3) Click the 'CPU' column.
--If something is blowing packets out of your computer, it's probably also a CPU hog as well. You can reorder that list by CPU usage and find out what is hogging all the system resources.

4) While you're there, always look at items without a description in the "Description" tab. Anything that looks like "ZZxx72.exe" or similarly nonsensical names should be immediately suspect.
--Almost any suspect process can be typed into google for instant identification, like "taskmgr.exe". If it's BS, you're probably not the first person to encounter it. If it's legit, you'll find that out too. Never End anything until you confirm what it is first.

5) If you find something that can be identified as suspect per above, the 'End Process' button can kill it.
--Usually. It may have been programmed to restart and will probably restart next boot. This is a temporary solution to at least regain a foothold on your PC.

6) Click the START button in the bottom left hand corner. Type in 'msconfig' and press enter. The System Configuration menu will appear.

7) Click the 'Startup' tab.
--This is another common area where BS is likely to occure. Most malicious programs insert themselves here to rerun each time you restart the computer. Uncheck anything that looks bad after confirming it through google in the same manner as step #4. Never prevent something from starting up until you confirm what it is.

8) Restart. Hopefully you've disabled enough pieces of whatever it is for antivirus to make a solid kill. That said, if it's lodged in the Registry and keeps coming back or prevents you from doing anything, you're going to have to keep going.

These are only temporary solutions to at least get you back to even. You might ultimately have to drop into Safe mode (or safemode w/networking) to prevent whatever it is from starting up, then attempt to kill it with the antivirus of your choice before booting it back up.

9) Optional: System Restore. If you haven't disabled it, Windows normally sets up restore points at major milestones within its operation. You can theoretically back track to a date where your computer was operating normally. Open the Start menu, type in 'System Restore' and press enter. Press next through the introduction window to get a date list of restore points, checking 'show more restore points' as needed.
--One issue you'll encounter here is that you need to know when your computer was operating normally last. If you don't remember, you might be better off using the above steps. Secondly, Restore backs out any changes you made after the restore point. While this normally include malicious programing, it includes any other program you've installed since then as well. You could be looking at a lot of pieces to put back into place. Media is generally unaffected, such as documents, pictures, etc.

Best of luck.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I learned more so far on this thread than in lots of 'help' sections on-line, that's for sure.

Thanks, esp to WCF3030, for all the information.

Hopefully I can wade through and get it back up to speed next weekend.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good stuff Panzer

another option and one of my favorites is to boot into linux from the optical drive after I ident the bad stuff per your list. then I can delete it and purge all the bad stuff I find. This is very useful strategy because it completely bypasses the virus and it's ability to mask itself and reinstall.

linux op systems can be downloaded for free and burned to disc. the boot menu in bios is set up to allow booting from cd/dvd and placed in the first boot spot. fedora 18 live is one that I have on disc for this purpose because it will run on 32 and 64 bit arch. there are others but this one is useful in its own right.

it will ask if you want to install it and you decline that. but your hard discs are available for any file operations you want and there is nothing a virus or hacker can do about that.

when I do this I pull the internet cable from the box or shut the router down so it won't connect, unless I want to use an online virus scanner.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Spy Bot & Search and Destroy...free, watched my IT guy use it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I forgot about those.

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.php

this one worked and solved a lot of problems. it has an autorun mode that seems efficient and effective.

I don't use windows much any more and don't have any boxes newer than WXP... but I've used this registry cleaner a lot when all my machines were windows and online.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

AJ,
+1 on panzercats post. Safe mode and system restore are great assets. McAfee is slow and consumes a lot of your system resources. I used it for 5 years, and it is outdated and outmoded. I am sending you a pm on what I now use.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

I've had better luck with malwarebytes then spy bot and lavasofts adaware combined. I'd run that after running ccleaner, since ccleaner seems to run a little faster it helps speed up the scan of malwarebytes.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-A ... 04572.html it's free of course

I'm surprised someone is still using mcafee anti virus, that and symantics norton anti virus. I used those for about 5 years each until I realized they slowed my system down by a large amount and still managed to get virus's.

Switched to AVG for a few years(2-3), was great then it got a little bloated and not running avast. Been using it for 4 or 5 years. very happy with it. always seems to be up to date and my system doesn't seem to be bogged down like it was in the past. These are both free mind you.

The trend micro site is a great tool also. Their anti virus is a system hog too, but it works great in keeping the virus's out. My computer goes mobile every other month so when I was younger keeping the virus's at bay was a big thing for me. :)
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

oops double post.
Last edited by bakamorgan on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A clean install of the operating system will do wonders. Yes, it takes an hour or so of screwing around, but you're gonna do that anyhow trying to track this down. The other suggestions are excellent, but sometimes a clean install is a good move. Give it some thought.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:A clean install of the operating system will do wonders. Yes, it takes an hour or so of screwing around, but you're gonna do that anyhow trying to track this down. The other suggestions are excellent, but sometimes a clean install is a good move. Give it some thought.
How can you reinstall the operating system if the computer has a 'proprietary' version of Windows...? Can you get it off the computer manufacturer's website? If so, would you just somehow burn it to a disk from another machine and that disk serve as a start-up disk?

I miss the days when you could copy operating-system-and-all with simple utilities.. :cry:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
olyinaz wrote:A clean install of the operating system will do wonders. Yes, it takes an hour or so of screwing around, but you're gonna do that anyhow trying to track this down. The other suggestions are excellent, but sometimes a clean install is a good move. Give it some thought.
How can you reinstall the operating system if the computer has a 'proprietary' version of Windows...? Can you get it off the computer manufacturer's website? If so, would you just somehow burn it to a disk from another machine and that disk serve as a start-up disk?

I miss the days when you could copy operating-system-and-all with simple utilities.. :cry:
Exactly what you are going through is the reason why Acronis should be used!---(and it is pretty cheap)
This combined with a Seagate GoFlex Desk External Drive(Sam's sometimes has deals on the 2TB for 1TB price)is the only true way I have found----COMPLETELY sanitizes a system.Modern viruses have become so advanced they will go into a sleep mode for a short period then resurface after you go through much heartburn thinking its fixed.

With the Acronis and your External Hard Drive-----which 99% of the time is put back in its box stuck in your desk drawer(until you need it)you can have your system truely back to (that time)when things worked (wonderfully/fast/and happy)

Down side--------you need to start with a (good working system/new system/etc.when things work wonderfully)
Then every so often if things are still working good----you update it. It partitions it so you can say go back to last period of time or back to whichever time period you did a backup.

Example my last backup was last month------if my system blows up/has a (mouse in the house)===bad virus=====I just pop out my External Hard Drive(do the Acronis)and its like the fire dept.showed up (with their hoses)and white washed the whole house to bare bones, totally flooding out that sneaky hidden mouse.(this has been the only true way I know to sanitize a system.

yep, I suspect a mouse----------------------------its white wash time! :D

ps-----and it keeps (everything) you had on the system up till that latest backup time and previous times.
Also the reason I (have it)(found out about it)was my brother----a Senior Electrical Eng(Penn State Grad) (a top Eng. in one of the US's top 10 Corporations.) he got tired of me calling him(for help)whenever I had a mouse in the house. :oops:
Oh-----also myself----------Metrologist are generally not real computer software savy anyhow ????????
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I miss the days when you could copy operating-system-and-all with simple utilities..
Hellooooo L I N U X

It is free

It is stable

It is secureable

There are free software suites that play nice with msft bloatware, most of the time.

There are a couple of reasons to use windows, but most people won't miss it.

Grizz
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

If someones not very computer savy, linux isn't the answer sorry grizz. If someone isnt' a big fan of pcs, theres no way you could expect them to relearn a new os. KISS is the answer and to do that might as well keep it on the platform they know.

To do a clean install of win, all you need is a windows cd that HOPEFULLY one came with the pc and the cd key off the windows sticker on the side/back of the pc. If theres no sticker then you would need to download the program called "the magic jellly bean" to get the windows key from your machine. it's free too. Then a couple hours of your time.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Actually there are a lot of linux op systems available that are at least as transparent and simple to operate as anything windows makes.

You do not have to be computer savvy to run Fedora or Knoppix or Ubuntu or Mint or a lot of others.

The poster was lamenting the days when you could do simple file copy paste operations with the OS. That's linux if you want it to be. The brands I mentioned have seamless updating and software download/install. They are rock solid stable and often run for months at a time without shutdown.

Anyone who can navigate the paperwork logistics of the medicinazis can certainly operate linux boxes.

Linux is much lighter on resources and old boxes that won't run any current window operating system will run spreadsheets, browsers, and word processors lightning fast.

the world renowned apple operating system is BSD Unix with a graphical dress-up gui on top, and no one complains about that one. much.
Unix_history-500px.png
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:

All you'll need is a Windows install disk, sourced from pretty much anywhere, but hopefully your system came with one. It needs to be the same version of Windows as your Windows key (there is usually a sticker on your box or laptop with your Windows key).

When you put in the Windows disk, make sure you tell it in the choices you'll be given that you want to do a full new install - NOT a "recovery". When the time comes just put in your key and it should work.

Regarding Linux, I've just completed a year long trial of Ubuntu Linux on several machines. It works just fine, the front end that you work with ( or "GUI") is much better than I had expected, but it's still not something for someone who is not interested in screwing around with computers (in my opinion).

What version of Windows are you looking for? I may have a disc for you.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I know Oly... but someone with the windows operating system is screwing around with his computer right now, I don't see the nuanced difference. everyone who is offering advice to help Doc has done a lot of screwing around with their computers and operating system to clean the registry, kill viruses and spy bots and super cookies and reinstall the operating system to 'clean things up'.

All the tablets and smart phones except maybe one are running linux. I know, right? android is linux. who knew? almost all home routers are running linux. some of them are hacked to be workstations. and many workstations are running linux router software. most if not all bridges are running linux or something like it. most of the servers in the www are running unix and many are running linux. it's not all that esoteric.

I run windows when I want to run my preferred accounting software, and of course photoshop. which can be run on apples. but then we are back to running unix....

I'm just super happy that your fly by wire boxes aren't using windows os....

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We are cruising at thirty nine thousand feet and the lights are going to go out while we defrag the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. We plan to have everything up and running with a clean install before we land. Trust me, nothing can possibly go wrong........ go wrong....... go wrong....... go......."

:lol: Grizz
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

well when it comes to virus's/malware you can look at it more like a bussiness model.

You want to get the most bang for your buck when trying to screw ppl out of them money.....attack windows since it has the largest user base. followed by apply then linux. Now that apple has about 10% didn't you notice they stopped spouting the "we dont' get virus's" bs line? Now apple is offering anti virus's and other things since at hacker conventions they are the laughing stock of the party.

Sure linux can be more secure then both of them but theres holes I'm sure no one really cares to exploit them.

There is virus and spam starting to crop on smart phones and so far the only ones I have heard about are the ones on the linux based ones and not the apple and the user based ones.

I'm sure I'm just pulling at straws here and getting a little off track but just my 2 cents.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

another bloody double post... ***.
Last edited by bakamorgan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

If you don't have it, I suggest you download the latest version of Avast antivirus, freeware. The reason is that it has a built in boot scan function that you can kick off manually.

When the system restarts, before most of the system apps and other software loads, Avast basically runs in a DOS environment and does a virus scan of the whole system. Takes a long time. But it can get rid of a lot of them because they haven't loaded and can just be deleted once they are recognized.

After the scan it boots and you have your computer back. It's boring to watch... Black screen with white text but you can see it find all the bad guys. I just have it set to delete them. It also warns you and in some cases wont let you access sites that are booby traps for malware.

It's a pretty good anti virus app and updates every time you open a web connection. I've run it for years and recommend it.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Update - sort of. Malwarebytes found some stuff and I deleted it, but had to run the program off a CD in 'MS-DOS prompt' mode (black screen with C:>).

Still the computer took FOREVER to load anything requiring a 'directory' read, like the "COMPUTER" tab, or even reading the directory of the CD in the drive. Would NOT shut down without Ctrl-Alt-Del even if you left it for an hour or so.

SO...... Not having time to have intercourse with it further, I stopped on the way home (had to go to daughter's fiancée's house to get fast-enough internet to download Malwarebyte) and dropped enough borrowed money for a Savage bolt action (probably with a medium-price scope), to replace the thing.

Setting it up now.

I will get IT going, then try a total-erase and re-do of the old one, hoping it isn't an actual hardware-problem (in which case I wasted lots of time and should have used a 275 grain bullet on the CPU and/or hard-drive in the first place). If the hardware is ok I'll find a use for the reincarnated machine (four kids in high school and college).

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

We just bought a new 'puter and its the last one I'm buying. From here on in, its going to be an Apple Tablet. They don't get virus's.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun wrote:We just bought a new 'puter and its the last one I'm buying. From here on in, its going to be an Apple Tablet. They don't get virus's.----------6
uh,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... -Macs.html

apples get viruses too

most of it has to do with browsers and email clients. almost exactly nothing is absolutely hack proof.

take your itab to a coffee shop where someone is running a man in the middle exploit and he might own your tablet, virtually speaking of course.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doc

Now that you have a project compluter you could try this. Go to http://fedoraproject.org/ and download Fedora 18. Then use your new fangled computer to burn the .iso file to a disc. Not copy, it's a different function. This will give you a bootable dvd. If your old machine doesn't have a dvd drive, but does have a cd drive, I can recommend a lighter version of linux for that. Then you boot your old computer and run antivirus from that operating system. This is a live operating system NOT installed to your hard drive, running in ram. It allows you to do things you can't easily do any other way.

You can install it to a hard drive if you want to, but the real value of the operating system on a disc is you can doctor any sick pc regardless of the os on the drive. I have fixed lots of machines this way and rescued lots of data. Which is something you might still want to do with the old box. Easy as can be with 'nix on a disc.

Fedora is a spin off of red hat, a very successful commercial grade enterprise operating system.

Another thing about operating systems on optical discs is that they cannot be hacked or altered by usage. They are perfect for online shopping and banking because the entire thing goes away when you shut down. You don't even need a hard drive for this to work. How cool is that?

Just a thought, or two.

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:Another thing about operating systems on optical discs is that they cannot be hacked or altered by usage. They are perfect for online shopping and banking because the entire thing goes away when you shut down. You don't even need a hard drive for this to work. How cool is that?
Reminds me of when I had my old 8088 machine, and it ALWAYS had to be booted-up with a 'boot-disk'. Not a bad thing, really.

At least I'm getting up and running again, but will have to install my software and stuff again... :|

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote:
Sixgun wrote:We just bought a new 'puter and its the last one I'm buying. From here on in, its going to be an Apple Tablet. They don't get virus's.----------6
uh,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... -Macs.html

apples get viruses too

most of it has to do with browsers and email clients. almost exactly nothing is absolutely hack proof.

take your itab to a coffee shop where someone is running a man in the middle exploit and he might own your tablet, virtually speaking of course.

Dang Grizz, I learn something' new everyday. Thanks! :D I got that info from other people who have them and they tell me, "no issues at all" and they go on to say, "once you have one of these, you will throw away your desktop"

Thanks,-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The expertise in ALL subjects available on this forum always amazes me. I guess 'levergunners' are truly a diverse group.

So.... I will wipe the drive and reinstall something on the old machine, and then hopefully get some more use from it. Still have to decide on the 'Linux' stuff, and would LOVE to be able to run something like my old Turbo Pascal compiler so I could show my kids how to 'program' (i.e. the 'algorithm' part - I obviously know NOTHING about the reality of the Windows environment or even the current generation of PC's or I'd not be having crashed computers). I have a Shareware version of Python that I think runs under Windows and would probably be at my remedial level for that. It would be good to be on its own computer so when I write some code that tries to use the system services area for a card-game or something that I don't kill my serious-use computer!

Anyway, I will keep checking on this thread, as I keep learning new stuff.

I have to decide if my Kaspersky is worth reinstalling. Everyone seems to agree to get rid of McAfee and and Norton whenever machines come with them (and I hate Norton because everything they have requires you to buy some OTHER software of theirs to work completely).

I have MalwareBytes installed but haven't taken off McAfee yet, and am so dumb about 'internet' stuff that I don't really know the difference between a "Firewall" and an "Antivirus" program, and which one(s) I have to have or which ones play well together.

Thanks for the help so far. My computer-IQ has risen into the two-digit realm, at least.

I'm hoping that this isn't a waste of Leverguns-bandwidth in that some other forum members are learning along with me. Like it or not, 'computers' are a technology we all have to deal with at some point. I guess part of the appeal of a 120-year-old levergun is that it most likely still works quite well if it has been taken care of; anyone want to bet on the likelihood of a computer remaining useful that long?

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:Update - sort of. Malwarebytes found some stuff and I deleted it, but had to run the program off a CD in 'MS-DOS prompt' mode (black screen with C:>).
Well, if you're back to using the command line prompt then I guess Grizz is right and you might as well switch to a Linux install!! :lol:

By the way, if you decide to swap to a new Apple machine you can run all three operating systems simultaneously on the machine using a program called Parallels and it's absolutely flawless and seamless. I'm amazed at how much faster Windows 7 boots on my solid state Macbook Pro, and it runs without a hiccup to boot (obviously I only use it when I need to run a Windows specific bit of software).

I was NOT an "Apple guy" at all. The new Macbook Pro with Retina display made me a believer. It's the finest computer I've ever used (and it should be for what it cost, but it's nice to see something live up to the hype for a change).

I use Avast! free antivirus as well. Has worked well for me for years and it seems to have a light footprint.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Doc,
The problem with the internet right now is that almost all web browsers allow any website you visit to send programs to your computer that will then run them. Add to that the internet criminals have started buying advertising on the internet and using that to exploit the previously mentioned back door to hijack the machines used by visitors to the website for any number of purposes. If not criminal purposes spamming purposes. As long as the banking industry keeps sticking it's head in the sand about the losses they are incurring due to these back doors we will continue to suffer problems such as you have encountered. To complicate things most website designers use these back doors for legitimate purposes.

From the sounds of it your ailing machine is almost certainly an infection problem not a hardware problem. If I was in the area it would be interesting to bring over a machine to see just what the infected one is sending out.

Alan Wood
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, just tried installing RCBS-load ballistics software, and it generates an error, so I suppose I'll have to see if there is an updated version for Windows-8, and if not, see if I can find a program I like as well. It had just the features I really liked, no more, no less.

I also have something called an 'evita' in my network showing up, that I have no idea what is - I recognize my router, modem, printer, and wife's computers there though. Maybe it is a ghost. Hope she's a pretty one.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun

you're welcome. doesn't mean they aren't good devices, it just means the hype is just hype.

a lot of safe computing has more to do with the operator than the software. the exploits just take advantage of people's assumptions and behavior. for example I never open forwarded emails regardless who sends them, my wife, brothers, sister, friends. it all gets dumped as spam because it is too easy to get exploited by forwarded data. I don't open emails if the sender is not in my address book. I don't click browser links until I look at them to see where they are coming from or what domain they lead to. When I am using search engines I am very very careful about which links I will open and which ones I pass by.

Doc,

a firewall is essential, but they are actually designed to protect servers, as when your machine is hosting your website. the good ones are built into routers. linux has a built in firewall as well, but those can be defeated by the junk that comes in with your permission, when you click a link in your browser. the sending and receiving machines get jiggy with each other and send data back and forth. it's normal and what makes internet traffic possible. otoh it's what makes hacking and cracking so pervasive. and actually not that hard.

linux isn't attack proof, and any operating system really, can get a rootkit. this is a hack that is almost impossible to detect if you are casual about it, and it gives absolute total control of your machine to someone in the cloud, without you knowing it. the only defense once it happens is to pull the cat5 cable out of the box. detecting and dealing with them is mostly an enterprise problem and enterprises hire experts at deterring and deflecting those kind of hacks. it's a full time job for teams of security experts at every college and bank and business in the world.

and getting a little bit geeky, I've thought it would be fun to build a brouter, which is a bridge+router device. The cool thing is that the bridge can be set up without a device IP while still feeding legitimate traffic thru. this means that the bridge is immune from external exploits because it cannot be addressed as a device, once it is set up. but it can function as a firewall by dropping into a black hole all unwanted and unsolicited packets regardless of their source. it's a whole 'nother country along the super highway. but I don't know when I am ever gonna get around to it. I mean, I still haven't run the 12ga stuff I put together this winter.

Hope some of this rambling is interesting or even useful to someone.

Good Night Men
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I'm with Grizz, the notion that linux is hard to install is easily a decade old.

You can download and burn a liveCD (or DVD) that allows you to try out the distribution without making permanent changes to your machine. There is an "install" icon on the desktop of the temporary linux system. It hasn't been any more difficult than re-installing Windows for as long as I've been using it.

I personally don't care for Ubuntu and derivatives of it like Mint and many others. They behave much more like Windows than the older linux flavors I was used to. But they sure are easy to set up.

Even running Windows, you can avoid a lot of problems by running as a limited user for day to day use. Then any and all damage done by the average, unsophisticated malware is limited to one login. Windows 7 is the first one I've used that did not default new logins to "administrator". If they had simply made that change 15 years ago, the security software scene would be very different now. The one time I ever had a malware problem on a Windows machine, I logged in as a different user (one with admin permissions) and simply deleted all files that were dated after the problem turned up. Lucky for me I was right there when the problem did appear, so I did know when it started. Didn't even fool around with the registry.
Last edited by 92&94 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:Update - sort of. Malwarebytes found some stuff and I deleted it, but had to run the program off a CD in 'MS-DOS prompt' mode (black screen with C:>).

Still the computer took FOREVER to load anything requiring a 'directory' read, like the "COMPUTER" tab, or even reading the directory of the CD in the drive. Would NOT shut down without Ctrl-Alt-Del even if you left it for an hour or so.

SO...... Not having time to have intercourse with it further, I stopped on the way home (had to go to daughter's fiancée's house to get fast-enough internet to download Malwarebyte) and dropped enough borrowed money for a Savage bolt action (probably with a medium-price scope), to replace the thing.

Setting it up now.

I will get IT going, then try a total-erase and re-do of the old one, hoping it isn't an actual hardware-problem (in which case I wasted lots of time and should have used a 275 grain bullet on the CPU and/or hard-drive in the first place). If the hardware is ok I'll find a use for the reincarnated machine (four kids in high school and college).

If you get a new computer------dude,telling ya get the Acronis/External Hard drive for sure.
See, lets say on your new computer you have painstakingly also installed for example---- (Microsoft Office Pro/many other software programs/files etc. so, you and your wife have put many various files in your Documents/Word etc.Your wife has eveen created a huge file of special cooking recipes etc and you have all your special gun loadings/data etc on this..
You have things relating to your business practice etc.You have finacial stuff on your system also.All your latest updates are also installed etc.(adobe/microsoft essentials/heck even all your various software for your variuos gamecams/security system etc.
Who wants to have to install------------------------ALL THAT STUFF-------------------????????????

Then your system-----starts acting WEIRD????(now you are into this kludged ???????????? mode)finally it still is kludged.
The WHOLE POINT of the wonder of Acronis is you say---------did it work ok last week when I did a backup update(if yes then BOOM in about 10-15 mins-----of Acronis doing its magic-----EVERYTHING you had prior(to it being bad)is right back online as if nothing ever happened.(EVERYTHING YOU HAD)If you say(ya,last week it was bad,but last month it was not,then you can go to last month status.(When I say it cleans the system to whatever point you choose)there is no way (the whatever infected issue)kludging up your system will be on there after(you do your thing)

Instead of doing this/that/this--------you hit------------------restore a backup(are you sure)?????if yes BOOM----it is back to that state with EVERYTHING kept intact (at that time)

That is what --------the beauty of it is about-----combined when you do a backup update it only has to take the time from last backup stuff to current today status----but you can start at any backup time you choose(of whatever backup session you wish)and its back to THERE!

Many of your top Military/highest level Defense Orgs----------Choose this application!(specifically) :wink:

Put it this way------if right now(my system starts acting like it is even going to try to tinkle on the floor) :D
yank out my HD----stick in my disk-------press------------------install backup--------BOOM----go have a coffee-----come back and its "back to the Past"---its last week-----this week isn't even here! :D
And I have everything(I had)done deal---right now! And what is that worth??????
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:Well, just tried installing RCBS-load ballistics software, and it generates an error, so I suppose I'll have to see if there is an updated version for Windows-8, and if not, see if I can find a program I like as well. It had just the features I really liked, no more, no less.

I also have something called an 'evita' in my network showing up, that I have no idea what is - I recognize my router, modem, printer, and wife's computers there though. Maybe it is a ghost. Hope she's a pretty one.
is the 'evita' you refer to evita.exe? there are suspicious looking websites that come up in the search windows and I won't click on them because I don't recognize the domains, and some of the domains look downright spooky. there may be a virus called evita. if you open task manager and look at the services tab you might find it there, although many viruses can now hide or masquarade when you're looking for them.

question, did you set up your computer with other computers networked to it? did you set it up while connected to the web?

and one other thing about w-8, it is possible that it can run your w-7 software if you tell it to. I completely forget how to do this, but I've seen it in the past, it may be called emulation mode. crs
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

Kaspersky isn't too bad never used it but I hear it gets great reviews. My father in law uses it for his bussiness and he has never had a problem with it.

Heres a link with a few of them under review if that helps

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Take them with a grain of salt, some times I find this mag to be a bit bias. Not to mention my free version of avast is doing way better then what most of the big names can do anyways. at least from my experience.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote: I got that info from other people who have them and they tell me, "no issues at all" and they go on to say, "once you have one of these, you will throw away your desktop"
They ARE wonderful for reading/viewing the web and other things. Not so great for typing anything in beyond a couple lines.

I love my iPad and wouldn't be without it, but unfortunately it's not a full-fledged computer replacement and I've tried to do it.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sounds like you got caught up in the Spam war that is-was going on. Sucks to find out your computer was compromised.
I am curious what you find what was taking over control of your machine.

Steve