A couple of Browning Lever Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

A couple of Browning Lever Guns

Post by vonfatman »

I've been a fan of pistol caliber lever guns for a long time. This winter I bought a M-92 in .357 Magnum. I was astounded at how much better this rifle cycled than my Marlin 1894. This Browning would eat any bullet style or OAL. My Marlin (it's factory stock w/no mods) is not so easy to shoot and I find myself reaching for the Browning.

At a Gunshow last weekend, I traded into another Browning M-92. This time it's a .44 Magnum. Just as I anticipated, this Browning was just as easy to shoot (regardless of bullet style etc.) as it's .357 Magnum cousin.

I am sold on these Brownings. I intend to have my 1894s "adjusted" at some time in the future to feed and function like the Brownings....but I gotta say its sure nice to take a gun shooting rather than to a Marlin gunsmith for "adjustments" before using it.

Glad I bought these lever-guns.

Bob

"Onward thru the Fog"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A couple of Browning Lever Guns

Post by Borregos »

Nice looking pair of levers there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Borregos wrote:Nice looking pair of levers there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+ 1... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The more I use it, the bigger fan I become of the Model 1892 action.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Thanks for the replies. Being a reloader, it's nice to have a rifle I can depend upon with various loads.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but the Browning 92's were the best of the Miroku's - present "Winchester 92's" included.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My browning 92 is also .44 mag. Also have a rossi puma in .357 mag.

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

vonfatman wrote:I've been a fan of pistol caliber lever guns for a long time. This winter I bought a M-92 in .357 Magnum. I was astounded at how much better this rifle cycled than my Marlin 1894. This Browning would eat any bullet style or OAL. My Marlin (it's factory stock w/no mods) is not so easy to shoot and I find myself reaching for the Browning.

At a Gunshow last weekend, I traded into another Browning M-92. This time it's a .44 Magnum. Just as I anticipated, this Browning was just as easy to shoot (regardless of bullet style etc.) as it's .357 Magnum cousin.

I am sold on these Brownings. I intend to have my 1894s "adjusted" at some time in the future to feed and function like the Brownings....but I gotta say its sure nice to take a gun shooting rather than to a Marlin gunsmith for "adjustments" before using it.

Glad I bought these lever-guns.

Bob

Oh, how I long for a Browning 1892 in .44 Magnum....lucky dog!
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

" A Pair To Draw To..." 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

:mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice

ollogger
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Booger Bill,
Nice rifles. I've heard a bunch of great comments on the Rossi. I have a couple Rossi revolvers and really like them.

Thanks a bunch. I am still pinching myself having drug a couple of these nice rifles home. They sure are smooth functioning. Never expected them to be so smooth after the feeding issues I'd had with my Marlins.

The only drawback (due to old eyes) are the buckhorn rear sights....I'd love peep sights...oh well.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They're just as easy to peep as Rossi 92's - if one has the stones. ;)

One 6-48 hole, D/T'd in the bolt's top c/l abaft of the locking lugs lets one mount a Skinner LoPro peep, which will zero using the issue front sight blades,

or,

One 6-48 hole can be D/T'd in the top/rear of each action sidewall, to mount either an XS peep or a Williams FP/5D-94AE peep (both meant for the Winchester 94 Angle Eject) - but a taller front sight will be needed to achieve zero.

Alternatively, a Lyman #2 or a Marbles tang peep sight's easy enough to install, also - just one hole D/T'd in the top tang for the fwd base screw.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That's a nice set! Congrats. Wish you continued success
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

JohnB wrote:
Oh, how I long for a Browning 1892 in .44 Magnum....lucky dog!
PM'ing you on a FSE (not mine).
+1 to what all have said. Gret guns, love mine.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:They're just as easy to peep as Rossi 92's - if one has the stones. ;)
One 6-48 hole, D/T'd in the bolt's top c/l abaft of the locking lugs lets one mount a Skinner LoPro peep, which will zero using the issue front sight blades,
or,
One 6-48 hole can be D/T'd in the top/rear of each action sidewall, to mount either an XS peep or a Williams FP/5D-94AE peep (both meant for the Winchester 94 Angle Eject) - but a taller front sight will be needed to achieve zero.
Alternatively, a Lyman #2 or a Marbles tang peep sight's easy enough to install, also - just one hole D/T'd in the top tang for the fwd base screw.
And this last retains the "period" look of the carbine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

A tang sight sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the information. I'd like to keep the guns looking like they are correct....as much as I can.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

real beauties - thanks for showing the photo
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Those are sweet rifles, I'd love to have one in 44 magnum (and an 1886 in 45-70 to go with it :mrgreen: )
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like the Lyman No 56 receiver sights. The No 66's are OK (the older steel ones being nicer if you can find one), but not as classy as the 56's. My Browning 92 had a tang sight, but I quickly found I didnt care for it being in the way of my hand, the theoretical advantages aside.

I haven't had to change front sights on any gun I used a Lyman receiver sight on. Changing the front sight on the Browning 92's isn't that simple in any event. The base is silver soldered to the barrel, and the blade is part of the base.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Swede71
Levergunner

Post by Swede71 »

Just love Them :P
Thanks for the pix :wink: