casting delema

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

casting delema

Post by n2t »

So casting is going well, got 3 moulds that drop great bullets as cast. I'm tumble lubing and not messing with resizing at all as my resizer is .358 and seems to be sizing a bit too much..my issue is, gas checks. I can shoot the bullets as cast, but I'm hand seating the checks at this point and they just don't seem as tight as I would like on my pistol rounds. On my rcbs 35-200 they fit firm, but on the pistol bullets they have some wiggle at times, anything I can do to fix this or is it a non issue?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: casting delema

Post by Shasta »

In my experience, gas checks should be crimped in place to fit the bullet securely. If they are not secured, you run the risk of a check separating from the bullet and possibly sticking in the gun's bore. Hornady gas checks have a definite flare that is swaged into the bullet during the sizing process, giving them a superior bond to the bullet. The older Lyman checks do not have this flare, and are prone to coming off the bullet rather easily.
Lyman makes a tool for use in a lubrisizer that seat gas checks. My own method is to set the check on the base of the bullet, then with the bullet nose resting on my work bench, I give the check a couple whacks with a very small hammer, making sure the check sits squarely on the bullet base. Then I run it through my RCBS Lubrisizer, which crimps the gas check onto the bullet as well as adding lube.
Tumble-lubed bullets are fine, but if you are running a gas check, you should still run the bullet into a properly fitted sizer die to crimp the gas check onto the bullet.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I seat gaschecks with my Lee push through sizers. Works well with tumble lube style bullets, as long as the check shank is right diameter to hold a check tight...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Yeah my issue is my sizer is .358 and my bullets are .360 and I think I want to keep them that way. so..that gives me two options, option 1, resize and relube them and try them (what I am doing today), or option two, open up my sizing die so it only seats the check and won't resize..that's what I will try if these bullets lead.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

~ or ~ buy a .360" sizing die. That would crimp the gas check and not size the bullet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Must be a special order item, I checked midway and a few other places and can't find a hornady .360 sizing die, am I missing something or is it the panic buying kicking in?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:~ or ~ buy a .360" sizing die. That would crimp the gas check and not size the bullet.
Joe
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

ty, but unfortunately I don't have the item that this fits. I use a lee sizer die that screws into the press I'm new to casting and just purchased the equipment and didn't know enough to buy any kind of lube/sizer, I'm hearing I should save up for one of the star sizers. But for now I have the lee, so I went to walmart, got a polishing kit and used the dremel to polish out a bit of my sizer, I am at about .359 right now so though I'm getting some sizing on my lead it's not overly bad. I may keep going to .360 but we'll see how .359 goes.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Lee used to would make a custom sized sizer on request for a little more money. They made a .428 for me.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

n2t wrote:ty, but unfortunately I don't have the item that this fits. I use a lee sizer die that screws into the press I'm new to casting and just purchased the equipment and didn't know enough to buy any kind of lube/sizer, I'm hearing I should save up for one of the star sizers. But for now I have the lee, so I went to walmart, got a polishing kit and used the dremel to polish out a bit of my sizer, I am at about .359 right now so though I'm getting some sizing on my lead it's not overly bad. I may keep going to .360 but we'll see how .359 goes.
good plan let us know how it works out. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"