Wild Hogs...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Wild Hogs...

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wild Hogs...

Post by Mescalero »

They are coming into our area, I know the rancher personally where they are located.
He does not have a problem with them being taken.
If I start taking them, and make meat available...... I will further the enterprise of people who are already scamming the system.
Not a pleasent prospect.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I keep heearing and seeing people gripe and moan about the pigs destroying their property but if you ask guides about hunting pigs(at least in the carolina's) $500-600 up for 3 days. Ya want them gone put out an ad that says come Choot' em. I guarantee you'll get rid of a bunch of pigs. But what do I know...I'm just a dumb nurse.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Mescalero wrote: If I start taking them, and make meat available...... I will further the enterprise of people who are already scamming the system.
Not a pleasent prospect.
Care to elaborate?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

fordwannabe wrote:I keep heearing and seeing people gripe and moan about the pigs destroying their property but if you ask guides about hunting pigs(at least in the carolina's) $500-600 up for 3 days. Ya want them gone put out an ad that says come Choot' em. I guarantee you'll get rid of a bunch of pigs. But what do I know...I'm just a dumb nurse.
I'd love to go hog hunting someday. I'm not interested in paying the going rate for a canned hunt in a fenced in enclosure like some offer. I'm still hoping for a local connection someday, somewhere, to help eliminate some of these beasts. We'll see.
My wife and I had a nervous encounter with a group of wild hogs on a hike last year in Florida. The hogs decided they didn't care to be around us and left, we went on with our hike. :wink:
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Last May I was asked by a friend to go on a wild hog hunt with him in Georgia. It would be $600+expenses. :shock: If hogs are that big a problem why am I not getting paid to rid them of the critters? I used to watch American Hoggers on the tube and wonder why people that owned hundreds, or thousands of acres, and have people working for them on their ranches, didn't just have their employees shoot them on sight. The ones that owned golf courses, or homes in gated communities, needed some help I guess. I am with fordwannabe on this being pretty much a scam.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We have some welfare/food stamp scammers in the community.
A few have asked me to shoot deer and wild hogs, process the meat and keep it in my freezer; and them make it available to them as needed.
A bit too much to ask from my standpoint.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Those hogs are starting to get a foot-hold (hoof-hold?) in NYS. I'm up in the Northern Adirondacks and a substantial number has established presence about 75 miles due East of my place. Certainly, they're headed my way. NYS considers them a nuisance; so, season open all year, no limit.

Bring 'em to me. The triple-four is on high idle. BTB .432"-330g pushed by a very stout load of H335. Somebody get the freezer door for me, will ya'?

Dan
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Mescalero said:
We have some welfare/food stamp scammers in the community.
A few have asked me to shoot deer and wild hogs, process the meat and keep it in my freezer; and them make it available to them as needed.
So, they want YOU to kill the hogs, then YOU drag the hog to YOUR truck, drive to YOUR house, then YOU get to butcher, wrap and freeze the hog in YOUR freezer until THEY decide they're hungry and show up on your doorstep, begging. Well, ya' know what? It might be worth doing all that work and then inviting everyone you've ever known and could, in any way, call a friend over for the biggest BBQ ever! Of course, you'd wait for a day when the wind is blowing THEIR way! Hell, call me! I'll provide security at the front door so's they never get more than a sniff!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You got it,
now you know why I don't want to do it.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Yeah, I understand Mescalero, but I still like the idea of the BBQ!!! :D :D :D

Not to hijack the thread, but, in another thread you commented that you were not in favor of variable scopes, why is that?
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Meatwad
Levergunner

Post by Meatwad »

I think I echo the sentiments of most on post. I am not willing to pay $600 to come to someone’s property and hunt pigs. Especially if you want them off because they are causing damage. I’m not against someone trying to make a buck, just not willing to fork over the case. Same thing with prairie dogs. A buddy of mine and I have been looking into doing this but all I find is people wanting to charge more money than I would spend.

I have heard of a pig population in Wisconsin that is getting established. That has been for a few years now.