Brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Brass

Post by RustyJr »

I was wondering if there is any difference between the Winchester or Remington brass as far as longevity or not stretching. I'm mainly thinking in terms of 270 Winchester as that is the main rifle cartridge that I plan on loading for.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Brass

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have used every common brand of commercial brass and find very little difference between them for hunting type loads. That said if you desire the utmost in precision you should try Lapua brass.
Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Star-line and Norma are all brands of rifle brass that I regularly load for hunting rifles and pistols. For rifle match ammo, I prefer Lapua.
Today one has to get by with whatever he can find.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have found that some Remington brass seems to have a thicker rim than other brands. This is not scientific or measured by any means. Some Remington brass is a tight fit in my shellholder and requires a little extra push to get it in and out. Other brands slide right into the shellholder and back out. In spite of the slight differences I haven't noticed any Remington brass that is hard to fit under an extractor or otherwise exhibts any signs of being a tight fit in a firearms. Among many other brands including some US and foreign military brass in various calibers only the Remington brand ever fits tightly in my shellholder. This is merely and observation for your information but nothing to be fret about. I happen to like Remington brass overall.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a bunch of factory loads with non-linear cracking down the sides, but can't remember whether they were Winchester or Remington right now. I felt the issue was more an 'unusually bad case/lot' vs. reflective of what other brass I'd encountered of either brand.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I know that in 44-40 Remington brass is slightly thicker than Winchester or Starline. Doesn't seem to matter in the 92 or 73 but Colt SAAs won't allow chambering a Remington case loaded with a dia. .429 bullet. I know, I should probably just buy a .427 sizer and then brand of cases wouldn't matter. As it is, I use the .44 mag expander inside my Dillon powder die, (RL 550 press) in order to get the proper bullet "pull". It's .002 bigger than the one for 44-40.
Personally I am very un-fond of the 270. Had a couple of really bad bullet performance failures that put me off of it. I'm guessing that some Nosler partition bullets would have solved the problem. Premium quality bullets are just mandatory for hunting bug game. Or the soft cast bullets (30:1) I use in 45-70 or -90.
I really like Starline brass.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

The Wolf book on loading the 45-70 round for the Trapdoor Springfield specifies some measurements. It identifies R-P Remington brass and Starline as similar in dimensions and thicker and heavier than Winchester.

I seem to have better results with Remington and Starline loads than with Winchester. I use the Winchester in my Marlin, and R-P and Starline for my Trapdoor. I plan to use R-P for my Rollers. Of course, a lot of my Winchester brass was used and has the odd crimp mark here and there, so that could be the issue.

But, I can confim through my own measurements that R-P and Starline are heavier in weight and wall thickness than Winchester. I havent had cracks in either yet, and had headspace case separation in the Starline with I tried in my roller, but that had nothing to do with the brass. I also use low rounds.

Now. being thinner, might make annealing and resizing less brutal, I dont know.