OT--What's to like about guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--What's to like about guns?

Post by getitdone1 »

As I've mentioned here before: I've had a lot of guns. What's to like about'em--what's the fascination?

1. Power--power that can be used to protect yourself and family or to provide food.

2. History--so many guns have a lot of history and owning such guns allows one to kind of relive that history. Same for many cartridges.

3. Craftsmanship--the better guns have good metal to wood fit and are reliable. They are truly a work of art. They are reliable. Pride of ownership.

4. The challenge of accuracy. Directing power, very quickly, to the target.

5. They serve as a reminder of great times in the wilds and of such times yet to come.

Maybe I've left something out but these are most of the reasons so many of us like and enjoy guns.

Don McCullough
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes sir, I agree with that and I would add having the freedom to own and use them.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'd have to say 3, 4, then 2. But I don't tell many people that.

I was at a cocktail party (in Los Angeles) and I slipped and told a woman my hobby is handguns. Well, she acted shocked and proceeded to tell me I was a sexual divient, one huge sick-o! She went on to tell me how the long hard barrel made up for my own short comings, and that the firing of the gun symbolized the potency that I fantisized about (!). Man I'm glad she told me that! I didn't know I am that sick (even though I've been on the same job for 22 years, been married for 14 years, have three pretty good children, was on the board of my church of 20+ years, haven't killed more than a piece of paper in the last 10 years, haven't been arrested in more than 40 years (got drunk in high school), and I think my neighbors like and respect me).

I wonder just who is the sick one? :?:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

I dunno, why do you like (insert favorite color here)?
I just do, and that's reason enough :)
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

I always figured, Whats not to like?
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

mikld wrote:I'd have to say 3, 4, then 2. But I don't tell many people that.

I was at a cocktail party (in Los Angeles) and I slipped and told a woman my hobby is handguns. Well, she acted shocked and proceeded to tell me I was a sexual divient, one huge sick-o! She went on to tell me how the long hard barrel made up for my own short comings, and that the firing of the gun symbolized the potency that I fantisized about (!). Man I'm glad she told me that! I didn't know I am that sick (even though I've been on the same job for 22 years, been married for 14 years, have three pretty good children, was on the board of my church of 20+ years, haven't killed more than a piece of paper in the last 10 years, haven't been arrested in more than 40 years (got drunk in high school), and I think my neighbors like and respect me).

I wonder just who is the sick one? :?:

You should have told her that she is thinking derringer,and you are Magnum!

Bob
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

What a crock of stuff. I always love to hear the litany. Then I offer to take them shooting.
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

What I like about guns aka Shooting Sports is:

1. It's the only sport that doesn't discriminate. Old, young, fat, slim, weak, strong, tall, short, male, female, race, religion, ... doesn't matter.

2. Shooting well requires a great deal of discipline, and in my book discipline along with honesty and forgiveness are the three keys to happiness.

3. What other sport can the average Joe compete on the national/international level.

4. It's an Olympic Sport.

5. It's extremely challenging.

6. It makes me feel really good. When people shoot they smile.

7. It gives me a true feeling of self reliance as well as confidence.

8. The comradery at the range is enormous.

9. It connects me directly with History.

10. Puts food on the my table, as well as, feeding some less fortunates.

and so on
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Because an armed person is a free citizen. An unarmed person is a serf, subject to the will of the state and those stronger than they are with no recourse but to bend over, grab their ankles, and take it.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

All the other points are fine, good, and valid - and I share in those reasons. But the ultimate reason is that above - the preservation of my liberty, my family's liberty, and our society's liberty.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

some of the earliest gun control laws were enacted in west virginia in the 1890s. only colt pistoles and winchester rifles were legal. the striking miners were poor and couldn't afford quality guns. in 1892 striking steelworker gunned downed and captured the pinkerton goons who were shooting the striking workers. corporations at that time, had a very powerful grip on the nation. it wasn't until teddy roosevelt got elected and started breaking the grip that corporate america had on the people. gun laws don't protect people, they protect corrupt governments from the people. politiciations read history and realize this. they know when conditions get bad enough, an armed populace will rise up against them. look at the current debate on the second ammendment going on in washington. our pro gun president is siding with the ANTI-gun croowd. makes you wonder whats coming next
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

They make a lot of noise, they kick, and they smell good.

Plus all that stuff you guys said.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

You should take her shooting.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Why do I like food? Water? Air? God and His Son? Why do I like the ability to protect myself in the face of the criminally insane (elected and otherwise?)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

I like them because I can harvest critters for food and shoot targets for my own entertainment. That's about it for me.

Jay
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We
are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
Semper Fi
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

For me it's hitting the target, not the gun so much. I don't collect them for replicas or anything like that.

Why do I want to hit targets? For me it's not power exactly, it's competence. Having a skill that used to be essential, and might be again. I'm big on personal improvement, if I think of something I want to do and can't do it, I get in there and try it. If I like it, I stick with it for a while.

I was working on sight settings today, and by the time I was done, I was knocking down 200 meter rams diagonally across the range. It was quite satisfying. Because of the distance, it's shoot, wait a second, see it start to fall, then you hear the clank.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If it's not accurate, or a historical piece, it doesn' have much interest to me. I appreciate ALL guns for what they are, but if they're put together cheaply, orpoorly, they just don't interest me as much.
I love looking at a nice old gun and seeing the craftsmanship that used to be put into them. (all by hand!) It amazes me that those guys could do so much in a day, and have it all turn out with such fine fit and finish!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Lots of reasons I guess. Time spent with Dad, Uncle and Grandfather growing up. It was a way to get together, communicate, and not kill each other in the process(guys need stuff to bring them together correct?). The connection to people is what makes Guns so enjoyable. The connection to history and ones past are extremely important too.

Protection of family has always been a big one for me. Been around a good amount of violence in my life and I'm naturally protective of family. By no choice of my own, I was put in that role since early childhood as adult/protector of house. Violent men bent on doing no good become very docile when there is a good 12 gauge present.

Guns also give a boy or man something to do to keep his hands busy during down time, and they give you visable results to your efforts. Sometimes very frustrating but usually you can overcome challenges and reloading/shooting becomes very rewarding. Which leads to the last thing I can think of....stress relief!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I dunno - somehow I forced myself to save these little uglies from the discard pile -

and - last but not least -

Honest - they just followed me home!

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Beautiful weapons Doc!! :D
Semper Fi