Marlin 1894 prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 1894 prices

Post by cas »

Have people lost their minds?

(Deleted a very long post/semi rant under this) :wink:
Slow is just slow.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 prices

Post by nemhed »

Since they made pistol caliber carbines (within certain perimeters) legal for deer hunting here in Indiana, the Marlin 1894 has commanded something of a premium here when compared to other parts of the country. The local want ads that I peruse typically have several WTB ads and very few actual "for sale" ads for these guns. I saw an ad the other day for an 1894 in 44 mag, said to be LNIB for $1000.:o I thought that was a little extreme, I have no idea what the guy actually got for it. I bought my 1894 in .357 about 8 years ago and my .44 mag about 5 years ago, and in both cases they were kind of hard to come by, let's just say they didn't sit in the racks at the stores very long. I have really no idea what they are going for new now or what the availability is like. I'm also not really interested in anything made by Remington with the Marlin name on it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:Since they made pistol caliber carbines (within certain perimeters) legal for deer hunting here in Indiana, the Marlin 1894 has commanded something of a premium here when compared to other parts of the country.
Yep. Funniest part was when dudes who usually hunted with the 7mm Remington Magnum (illegal deer gun in Indiana) and were thinking about 'going legal', sauntered into the gun stores to look for legal deer rifles. The clerk's would show them Rossi and Marlin 357's, 44's, and 45 Colt's, and the dudes would immediately dismiss the 45 Colt as 'not something to count on for dropping a deer', then go on to say 'and the 357 wouldn't be much better', but they'd fondle a 44 Mag for a minute. Then they'd ask "Don't you have anything with a bit more 'punch'?" at which point the clerk would say the only other cartridges legal here that they had guns for were 454 Casull and 500 S&W Magnum. The 7mm-deer-dudes would never have heard of the 454 Casull, but they all had heard of the 500 S&W MAGNUM, and would ask to see a 500 S&W Mag rifle. Of course none of the dealers had a Bighorn levergun, or Ruger No.1 handy, so would show them a Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W. Then the dudes would say "It's only a breakopen - what about if you need more than one shot...?"

I watched many gunshop counter-men and women bite their lips talking to these dudes; don't know if it was to keep from laughing, or to keep from telling them what they thought about their 'hunting' ethics and skills... :D

If you look around you'll find Marlin 1894's priced more reasonably. Part of it is also the transition to Remington, and supply and quality issues both at issue.

I would definitely consider buying a "RemLin" but like all modern-production firearms, I'd want to handle the specific firearm before finalizing the purchase. Some on-line sellers WILL ship to your FFL and still allow full refund within 30 days if the gun is unfired, and $10 worth of 'action proving dummies' will tell you alot about a gun, in addition to just handling it and working the action. Most of the problems (not all) are cosmetic, minor, and something a bit of time with fine-grit sandpaper will fix easily.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Used $350 guns selling for… or for sale for $850-$900
New ones at a $1k - $1200. I know things have been crazy since the looming threat of the lever action ban came about :roll: , but that's crazy even for crazy.
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cas wrote:Used $350 guns selling for… or for sale for $850-$900.
Then some really nice $1,000-when-new gun will not draw even $350 on the used market because it has some stock-dings. . . go figure... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

AJMD429 wrote:
cas wrote:Used $350 guns selling for… or for sale for $850-$900.
Then some really nice $1,000-when-new gun will not draw even $350 on the used market because it has some stock-dings. . . go figure... :roll:
As they say in real estate, "condition, condition, condition".