BPCR Silhouette Match #3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

BPCR Silhouette Match #3

Post by Marc »

I shot my third match Saturday with the Browning 40-65. Since I shot 28 last time I was hoping to break 30 this time. It was not to be-I finished with 22. The first problem was I forgot my notes with the sight settings. We also had a stiff erratic breeze to contend with and heavy mirage. That and the shooter wasn't at his best anyway. I still did better than the other guys.

The front that is giving us a little rain was moving in and there was probably some smoke from the 28,000 acre fire that was burning just south of us blowing in because it was hazy. I don't know but I think the haze makes the mirage worse. Anyway I got through chickens and pigs with 10, which was only one less than last month. The longer range targets just wouldn't hold still for me though. As the morning heated up my shots climbed and I had to crank the sights down because of the mirage. The wind also kept me adjusting the sight. And then I lost a few targets because I didn't have my sight settings.

Before next match I need to make an equipment checklist. There is a lot of gear to get together for the match.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BPCR Silhouette Match #3

Post by Mescalero »

That is why I never used a spotter, had too much to remember as it was.
I found it was just too distracting.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That game is a little more stressful than I would have thought. Lots to remember, and complete in a relatively short time. Well done.
Last edited by TedH on Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think that is what gets us hooked.
I never thought I was shooting against somone else.
I always shot against myself.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

TedH wrote:That game is a little more stressful than I would have thought. Lots to remember, and complete in a relatively short time. Well done.
It is competition! The mental part of the game is the hardest part. After shooting High Power Rifle silhouette for 22 years at our club I am finally getting a handle on it. You have to be willing to humiliate yourself in public and I also had trouble doing well and drawing the attention that goes with that. And then you can get on a run and start thinking it is easy. Bad idea! One of the better shooters we had at the club always said, "It's hard to shoot one handed".(when you are patting yourself on the back for being so good) Then some people get rattled when they miss and psyche themselves out. You have to accept the misses and the hits and just focus on the next shot. The only way to work through it all is to stick with it.

I am used to using a spotter and a good spotter is a big help. It is hard to find good spotters. I credit my best scores to having good spotters!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sounds awesome...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye, I think a good spotter is essential...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

In any of the silhouette games a good spotter is worth a few targets!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................