Update on Tula Mag Large Pistol Primers (In first post)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Update on Tula Mag Large Pistol Primers (In first post)

Post by don Tomás »

Update 5-26-13: Got in my Tula Magnum Large Pistol Primers. Turns out the Tula Factory manufactures Wolf, PMC, and other brands of ammo & components at plants located in Russia, Canada, North & South America. Internet consensus is that misfires are mostly due to primers not being fully seated. I use the Lee Auto-Prime system and every primer get a thumb run over it, so seating is not a problem for me.

I made up some .45 Colt rounds to give these primers a test drive. 250gn LRN & 8gn Unique (safe in my gun, careful what you use in your gun - never trust internet reloading data - even though they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true!) was the recipe over these Ruski primers. Well, 50 rounds was the test run. All rounds touched off just fine just like normal. No signs of pressure or other problems with the "Mag" primers that I could see. Only difference I did notice was that my fired cases seemed to be a lot cleaner, even though I'm using the "newer cleaner" remake of Unique (never did notice any difference from the "older dirtier" Unique).

So, Tula primers - a "nyet" (het) or "da" (Да)? A big DA for me! I would rather buy 'merican, but like Ysabel Kid said, "...primers that are available beat primers that aren't any day of the week!" Well said, Kid...

Oh, my only regret? - that I didn't order twice the amount that I bought...

Tom

Yeah yeah - I know I'm like your brother-in-law Ed who only shows up when he needs something...

Natchez Shooters Supplies has Magnum Large Pistol primers in supply ($21.49 K). I load .45 Colt & .45 ACP and have only used Standard Large Pistol Primers which have been impossible to find as of late (thanks Hobie, they're probably all sitting in your ammo bunker! :) ). All the research I've done sez I shouldn't notice any appreciable difference as my loading is more middle of the charts. Problems might be incurred when loading max loads, which I stay away from. Any ideas out there pro or con? Tula - Russian manufacture? Anyone used the brand? Only Russian stuff I've dealt with has been Wolf ammo: rock hard primers which required me to swap out the hammer spring in my Mini 30.

Thanks everybody! :wink:
Last edited by don Tomás on Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Tula Mag Large Pistol Primers?

Post by piller »

I don't know about their primers, but the little TulAmmo stuff I have shot is certainly not close to top of the velocity range ammo.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow, these don't show up in their Primers section. I wonder if they will be listing them there anytime soon.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Rimfire McNutjob,

Those primers were there, last night. They are sold out, now. They still have Tula 209 primers, though, for $29.99, per 500:

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... Title=Tula Ammo 209 ShotShell Non-Corrosive Boxer Primer 500/Box

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Last week I was at a silhouette match and the fellow I teamed up with was using "Russian" primers. Minimum of two primer hits for each shot he fired. That's enough to tell me that I don't ever want any of those.

I don't think he had any failures, just took up to three hits to fire. Also, when we tallied our scores, he beat me by one!
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I ended up buying some since I couldn't get anything else. I'm glad I did. They work great in my guns and I've had no failures to fire. I expected something to happen with the accuracy but it's unchanged in either large pistol or small. Best part, they're cheap. Who'd of thought?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I purchased some Mag Tech LR primers a couple years ago. I found they are mid way in height between American LP and LR primers. So if you seat them to the same depth you seat normal LR primers they were not bottomed out.
I suspect, can't prove it yet, but suspect, that the Russian primers are the same.

I base this on some Yugoslavian 303 Brit ammo I bought years ago. The primer pockets are shallow. I'd bet the Mag Tech primers would fit them perfectly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

They shoot very well in most guns, but the "magnum" primers tend to have heavier cups. They are of similar power to most standard primers. Im using them in 45 Colt max loads, 10 mm max loads and 45ACP.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, primers that are available beat primers that aren't any day of the week! At that price, it wouldn't hurt to give them a whirl! :D
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Update on Tula Mag Large Pistol Primers (In first post)

Post by don Tomás »

Bump to the top...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

rogn wrote:They shoot very well in most guns, but the "magnum" primers tend to have heavier cups. They are of similar power to most standard primers. Im using them in 45 Colt max loads, 10 mm max loads and 45ACP.

According to Wideners, for the SR Wolf primers, the magnum primers have the same amount of propellant, but a harder cup to prevent slam fires in semi auto's like the AR. I'm wondering if that isn't the issue steelbangers partner was having. I've had the same issue with military type primers in other guns too. Those hard primer cups require the firing pin hitting it like you mean it. I've got a small supply of wolf primers in various types but have not used them yet. Plan is to use them for plinking loads, and keep the CCI's for the good stuff.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I shoot the Wolf srm primers in my 223 bolt gun. Better groups than Rem 7 1/2. Not by much, but still there. Got some Wolf LR now and will try those in my '06
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

One thing of note, I have shot a lot of Wolf and Tula ammo in various chamberings and so have friends and I've never experienced or heard of a misfire which makes me think those primers are pretty consistent.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30