JOHN DEERE D105

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

JOHN DEERE D105

Post by 4t5 »

lawn tractor , thinking of buying one, anybody here have one,like or dislike? Thanks.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: JOHN DEERE D105

Post by AJMD429 »

Our old model 201 or whatever (1970's vintage) is one tough beast and well designed and built. The new ones look slicker and better-featured, but my concern would be if they are just 'pretty' and slipping in the durability/practicality department. HOWEVER our 26 hp 'utility tractor' with front end loader, drive-on underdeck mower, tiller, and so on is VERY solid, with no wimpy or shoddy parts, PLUS also looks really nice and 'slick'.

So I'm betting that the newer Deere lawn tractors are darned good investments.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

I got a John Deer L108.

It's loaded with safety interlocks.
You can't back it up without pushing a back up button first.
It won't start unless you are sitting in the seat, have the blade disengaged, and foot on the brake.
The engine will stop if you stand up or lean over too far, relieving the safety button in the seat.
I believe the "L" in L108 means light duty.
The headlights quit working the first season.
The canopy over the engine is hung on "light duty brackets", easily bent and difficult to straighten back.

I believe I could have got as much machine for less money, if I had gone to a lesser known brand.

I hear these companies make a commercial grade and a homeowners grade, with the commercial grade being a thousand dollars more.
If you can afford it, go commercial.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for the reply's
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hmmmm..... sounds like GUNS - either buy one that's "basic", but OLD, or if you have to buy "modern" get ready to spend money for the 'better grade' version.

I'd be tempted to buy an old one if I knew enough about engines to keep one running and/or swap one out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have 20 year old John Deere Sabre sold by Sears. I replaced the fuel pump and starter solonoid several years ago. Just last year the drivebelt broke so while I was at it I put new blades on it too. Iam well pleased with the service it has given Me but that is not to say the new ones are as good. Mine is a 20 horse.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Once you try one of these------------------you will say-------what JD???????????
And I have a nice JD too (D140):lol:
That would be--------minimum(get it from Dealer-----not chain store too)
Stay away from the CVT stuff----------at least get (Hydro)
Tried my neighbors Cub shown below (on my place to fairly compare)-----------------and I was stunned!
One might be in the future someday-------------for wife! :lol:
The steering wheel on that type of machine (w/4 wheel steering)is brilliant!
It did my steep banks-----------------with ease!

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubca ... rs/rzts-42

ps------------now, want to see a "real" lawn/garden tractor ????-----I have a new done Wheel Horse GT14(had in family for 40years)
Weighs aprox. 900 lbs/ Sundstrand hydro tranny and is built beyond belief. One of those in good shape------will last you about forever!
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractor ... hotos.html

What do I mow my large yard usually with--------------???
A "non self propelled" Lawn Boy (Silver Edition)series push mower---(the 2 stroke/aluminum/ staggered deck one)when they made them.
People say I am nuts when riders are just sitting in the barn-----------------me,I like the exercise!(that and my FS85 Stihl brushcutter/trimmer)--- :wink:
They both use------------------extremely little fuel too! :wink: :D (and light as feathers)with power to spare.
nothinglikealever
Levergunner

Post by nothinglikealever »

the way i look at it, if it has a briggs and stratton engine instead of a kohler or tecumseh, why spend the big bucks for the name.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

4t5--------------------Honestly these cheaper riders---------???????? unless you are a good mechanic.

For around $399 at a Honda Dealer if I was mowing 1 acre or less---------------------would consider getting a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koUfrACQaKc

If or when something does ever go south--------(kinda nice to just pick it up,put it the vehicle and run er down to the dealer.
Honda Dealership will many times also have a loaner to use while they are doing whatever goes south on that rare occasion!

It has an excellent drive system(blade can be stopped while mower still running)and has Honda reputation!

And when the neighbors see ya out there mowing they will think---(yep that guy has a quality mower) instead with the cheapy D105----them thinking yep,------------he thinks its a JD but really its a wanna be JD :wink:

One month of use with the D105 (its resale will drop more than the Honda costs new)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rule of thumb for today. If buying a small tractor, forget John Deere. The bigger ones like Doc has are still good and retain the JD quality.

I used the same JD 400 for 35 years cutting 4 acres. When it went for the second time several years ago, (rebuilt it once) I did my research and bought a 7800 Kubota.

Don't let those TV commercials showing off those pretty green and yellow toys fool 'ya------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:Rule of thumb for today. If buying a small tractor, forget John Deere. The bigger ones like Doc has are still good and retain the JD quality.

I used the same JD 400 for 35 years cutting 4 acres. When it went for the second time several years ago, (rebuilt it once) I did my research and bought a 7800 Kubota.

Don't let those TV commercials showing off those pretty green and yellow toys fool 'ya------------6

Bragger------------------------------------ :lol: :oops: :lol: :D

Good Golly--------------- I love those 7800's :mrgreen:
Got to play with one all summer one year(had the bucket/mower deck/4WD)-------What a machine!
Top shelf all the way------------------------------------must be nice-------------6
Probably nicest machine I have ever been on!---------it hardly used any fuel------was unreal!
ya, I am calling you a bragger-------------------------cause I am extremely (JEALOUS!) :cry:
What a summer-----baby sit this guys secluded domain -------find every use in the world to use and (play)with that orange wonder machine.-----he said---------------treat it/home/pond/place------------like yours??????????????
Drink his beer-------and shoot 100's of little frogs on this huge steep banked pond with my Air gun.
Gone there so much--------------Wife thought ----------------------I had another gal ??????????????????????? :shock: :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Madman,
I punch a clock for a livin'. Faaaaarrrr from wealthy. The reason I had the old JD for so long was because ...well...there was no money for a new one so I maintained it the best I could so it would last and last it did. I drove the same 1978 Ford pick-up from '78 to 96 when I took over my son's 89 Jeep. I never had a new vehicle since '78 and the next one came in '05. I built the house back in 75 when things were cheap. (38K in '75 and it took me 20 years to pay that off. People spend that much money on cars today :D ) You got to be rich to live around here now so there is no way I could afford to move into this area. All farmland back in 75 but then the yuppies moved in and made me real estate--wealthy. You can't touch nothin' around here for less than 400K but NOT when I came here. Married the farmer's daughter in '72 and my FIL donated the 4 acres 3 years later. I promised him I'd work hard, keep my nose to the grindstone and be true to his girl. I kept my promise and it all paid off.

Then....drum roll.....the kids got older and moved out and now this is MY time!

I always was gun-smart, especially the old leverguns and single actions, so I bought what I could since I was 18 and parlayed that into what I have today.

Never used a credit card in my life. Never went on no fancy vacations. Never paid anybody to do what I can do myself and if I can't do it, I'll buy a book and learn how to. I swapped out my own engines in cars, trucks, tractors, whatever. My life has always been my family and my guns and I'm really not sure what has always come first. (that's a joke :D )

You boys never knew me during those days. Was not easy.

In other words, I worked like a dog 'till I was 45 or 50 and now I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor. That's why I have no use for todays generation...they want it all NOW.----------------------Sixgun

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:Madman,
I punch a clock for a livin'. Faaaaarrrr from wealthy. The reason I had the old JD for so long was because ...well...there was no money for a new one so I maintained it the best I could so it would last and last it did. I drove the same 1978 Ford pick-up from '78 to 96 when I took over my son's 89 Jeep. I never had a new vehicle since '78 and the next one came in '05. I built the house back in 75 when things were cheap. (38K in '75 and it took me 20 years to pay that off. People spend that much money on cars today :D ) You got to be rich to live around here now so there is no way I could afford to move into this area. All farmland back in 75 but then the yuppies moved in and made me real estate--wealthy. You can't touch nothin' around here for less than 400K but NOT when I came here. Married the farmer's daughter in '72 and my FIL donated the 4 acres 3 years later. I promised him I'd work hard, keep my nose to the grindstone and be true to his girl. I kept my promise and it all paid off.

Then....drum roll.....the kids got older and moved out and now this is MY time!

I always was gun-smart, especially the old leverguns and single actions, so I bought what I could since I was 18 and parlayed that into what I have today.

Never used a credit card in my life. Never went on no fancy vacations. Never paid anybody to do what I can do myself and if I can't do it, I'll buy a book and learn how to. I swapped out my own engines in cars, trucks, tractors, whatever. My life has always been my family and my guns and I'm really not sure what has always come first. (that's a joke :D )

You boys never knew me during those days. Was not easy.

In other words, I worked like a dog 'till I was 45 or 50 and now I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor. That's why I have no use for todays generation...they want it all NOW.----------------------Sixgun

You know what ?????????/
Sounds like you are one dude----------------who--------------has his act together!
Ya done good bro!
I like the way you think and I like you!

But----------------------you just had to show that pic and get me all worked up again-------(wishing and wanting) :cry:
Ah heck-----------sun's a setting ---------------will be dark soon-----I'm just going to climb on my dull painted red WheelHorse(14hp)
and pretend I got one like yours(in the dark)---oh sh##--------I can't I ain't got no headlights.
Honey, where is my LED brim hat ?????????????????

6---------------------------you rock!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Madman.............I know my tractors and a Wheel Horse is no junk. A buddy of mine used one for pushing 30 years. IIRC, they used Onan engines. :D -----stay cool bro-----------------6

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I was the service manager for the local Deere dealer for 8 years. At one point we were top in sales west of the Mississippi. About 20 years ago they started to build entry level lawn tractors to try to compete with Sears and MTD (Modern Tool and Die)for the entry level sales.. These mowers will have briggs or bottom end Kohlers in them to cut cost ( Tecumseh has been out of production for several years now).
The top end mowers have Kawasaki engines and their Compact utility tractors have Yanmar diesels
(oldest and largest diesel engine manufacturer on earth).
You get what you pay for. My JD SP14 walk behind mower is 19+ years old and still running on it`s second spark plug. These Kawasaki engines are bullet proof and in the spring it starts in 3-5 pulls and 1-2 pulls the rest of the season. I have replaced ZERO parts on it for all those years of mowing. You only hear from those who have problems and never from those who don`t. Just like leverguns, happy people don`t complain. :wink:

Kubota and Honda make quality equipment but in my area Kubota has rather poor dealer support and the Deer dealer is also the Honda dealer. I retired and work part time next door to the Deer dealership and we are the Toro dealer.
Toro no longer makes a tractor style rider and the ones they and Home Depot and Lows sell are MTD and just licensed to use the Toro name. Bottom end stuff for sure. :(
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Bought a JD D130 with a V twin engine (22 HP) a few weeks back for the grandson to use in the yard and so far, it is great. It is far easier to drive than my old Murray mower, and faster also. It makes quick work of our 2 acre yard, but does not go out in the horse pasture where the black locust and Bois d'arc(bodark) spines puncture lawn tractor tires PDQ. That mowing is done with a JD 650 with a 60 inch finish mower. Our 9 year old Murray gets the call for pasture finish work along the fence lines, ditches, and roadside where there are plenty of things to puncture the tires which are full of stop leak.
It is small enough that I can wrestle it out of holes and such without too much effort.
Smaller yard areas are touched up with a JD self propelled walk behind mower which as good as any such mower I have ever owned. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/