Audiophiles.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Audiophiles.....

Post by Eye-Bite! »

There was a post the other day that said something to the effect that while out hunting that person didn't hear the rifle report. I have been saying that for years too. When I go to the range or just plain plinking, I always use hearing protection. Now, while hunting, it's a different story. I don't use protection like most hunters.

I guess my question is... Is there an explanation for not hearing a rifle report while hunting?

Thanks... Big John.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Audiophiles.....

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't know about everyone else, but I have heard the report when I have fired at a game animal. Just doesn't seem as loud though
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Thunder50 wrote:Don't know about everyone else, but I have heard the report when I have fired at a game animal. Just doesn't seem as loud though
I hear it also, just not the Ear ringing penetration part we all know to protect ourselves from.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Look up Auditory Exclusion. It does not protect your cilia from permanent damage.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a few years I used to hunt deer from the range-house since it was on our property and the range had a nice cloverfield that attracted deer from the surrounding woods. THOSE shots were loud. Shots from the tree stand I later used were quieter.

So in my case at least it was NOT auditory exclusion, but rather this fact that when you are in the woods there isn't much close to you in the way of flat surfaces to bounce sound back at you.

And it is TRUE that while 'auditory exclusion' makes sounds seem less loud, that doesn't make them any less damaging to your inner ear. That false sense of safety is why lots of guys need hearing aids after years of shooting.

So to the extent shots seem quieter when hunting, it does NOT protect your hearing. However to some extent shots are quieter. The question is, how much...?

Rather than guess I spent a few bucks on Howard Leight electronic muffs; now I can hear better than before, when I crank up the amplification. I hear deer footsteps I'd never have heard before.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671923 ... 2-db-green

At $56.99 they are not unreasonable to pay to protect your hearing (cheaper than a $4,000 hearing-aid later), and seem to do everything the Peltor's and ProEars do for $150 less. Plus...my ears stay warm in cold weather and don't get skeeter-bit in warm weather. 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:Look up Auditory Exclusion. It does not protect your cilia from permanent damage.
This. Same same for Artillery Fire BTW...

Now ask me about permenant Tinnitus.

Now, there IS an additional "reason" the ringing might not be as bad in the field as on the range...

It's called Concrete & a Roof.

Since most non-casual Ranges have a concrete shooting platform and a tin roof (& sometimes trajectory baffles,) the noise at a Range is actually AMPLIFIED for the Range Shooter.

Still, a noise cancelling earplug like Game Ear or some such is a good idea for the field if you can afford it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

there's a lot going on for the hunter at the moment of the shot, they may just miss the noise while concentrating on other things.

I have a little ringing on one side, because I fired when I was in a stone canyon. Even though I was "outside", I might as well have been in a small room as far as that ear was concerned.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I heard the bells of St Mary's for days after touching my 45-70 Guide Gun off at a BlackTail...But, my ears have been on the cuff of totally T.U. for a couple decades......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV