Just a stroll before the rain came.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Just a stroll before the rain came.

Post by Nath »

Only went for a stroll to look for a rabbit n' squirrel but bumped into this young fox hunting.

I sneaked in and she came my way some.

Twenty yard shot through sticks.

Here is the round.
Less than 5grn of Greendot and a 158fmj reversed bullet, sounds like a 2" .410!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Just a stroll before the rain came.

Post by AJMD429 »

What is the advantage of the reversed bullet vs. just the same one forward...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool Nath, yep i`m wondering about the bullet too.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They do a little more damage backwards!

It's a boatailed flatpointed wide hollowpoint :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Nath, I almost feel sorry for any fox that lives near you... :D

I used to reverse airgun pellets when I was a kid to see if they hit any harder, I couldn't say if it worked or not but I see your reasoning with the .357 bullets. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Wondering what the Paper Punch would look like on a target, considering it's aerodynamically flying backwards against the engineering.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Another fine hunt, Nath, and thank you for sharing. I just had friends from Cambridgeshire visit and they were explaining just how much hunting opportunity there still is in many parts of England. They also told me there is a serious problem with over-abundant deer. Do you ever get to hunt them Nath?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Another fine hunt, Nath, and thank you for sharing. I just had friends from Cambridgeshire visit and they were explaining just how much hunting opportunity there still is in many parts of England. They also told me there is a serious problem with over-abundant deer. Do you ever get to hunt them Nath?
Bill, I live in a tiny spot of England that has very few deer! They are all around me but not on me!
They are slowly moving in though and I leave them alone, I want a surplus to establish first. Trouble is no one else thinks like that!
I use to travel to Scotland alot to hunt deer, had my fair share, actually I was there all but a year ago and got a roe buck but I don't find it all that exciting anymore.
Eye-Bite! wrote:Wondering what the Paper Punch would look like on a target, considering it's aerodynamically flying backwards against the engineering.
All I know is they are pretty good to 50yds or so and after 80 they start to drop fast and they don't bounce far!
Thinking about it, just how is it against the engineering?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

no more so than a wadcutter - no reason to blame the engineers.

That's a very effective small-game-stopping round and won't wake the neighbors.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Nath wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote:Another fine hunt, Nath, and thank you for sharing. I just had friends from Cambridgeshire visit and they were explaining just how much hunting opportunity there still is in many parts of England. They also told me there is a serious problem with over-abundant deer. Do you ever get to hunt them Nath?
Bill, I live in a tiny spot of England that has very few deer! They are all around me but not on me!
They are slowly moving in though and I leave them alone, I want a surplus to establish first. Trouble is no one else thinks like that!
I use to travel to Scotland alot to hunt deer, had my fair share, actually I was there all but a year ago and got a roe buck but I don't find it all that exciting anymore.
Eye-Bite! wrote:Wondering what the Paper Punch would look like on a target, considering it's aerodynamically flying backwards against the engineering.
All I know is they are pretty good to 50yds or so and after 80 they start to drop fast and they don't bounce far!
Thinking about it, just how is it against the engineering?

In general terms, Most if not all bullets have a (shaped ?) point or leading front edge for some sort of efficiency of movement through the air on flight. The back side is either flat or (Indented?) such as yours. That would help the gas push the bullet rather than a Pointed bullet channeling the gases towards the rifling in the barrel and not building up to push the bullet forward in an efficient manor. Just a guess on that only. If the Indented bottom of the bullet is going through the air first, one would think it would catch the air rather than spiral through it efficiently. Those are my thoughts of why a Paper Punch on a paper target may give a good indication of or if anything.

N.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

I would guess all those photos are made by manufactured bullets with the engineering to go in a forward direction and that they are engineered to go that way with the sole intention of that. In your case.... it's just the opposite. Just my Opinion.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

And when folk reverse thier car your opinion is?

And when folk swage bullet jackets from spent 22 cases is that also all wrong?

And when a patched ball rifle happens to shoot well sprue down is that all wrong too?

N. :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Nath, I'm surprised there are any fox left in your neck of the woods and fields of England! You sure have good hunting there!!! Thanks, as always, for sharing your successful hunts and your rifles and beautiful Tia with us.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nath wrote:They do a little more damage backwards!

Hits like Thor's hammer I bet! Accuracy?
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

mod71alaska wrote:Nath, I'm surprised there are any fox left in your neck of the woods and fields of England! You sure have good hunting there!!! Thanks, as always, for sharing your successful hunts and your rifles and beautiful Tia with us.
the quality of his hunting opportunity always amazes me.

if you're going to engineer it, you must do the math. Otherwise it is just an unqualified opinion.
Very effective round, Nath. It does exactly what you want it to do.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thank's Nath. for a look into Huntin in England. That turning the bullet around Idea is top's kinda opens the door of thought for me. I have a few hundred 168 grn. FMJ's in .308 that can be used in my 30-30 backward's and can be loaded in the magazine ,because of the hollow base as a tip will not harm the primer on the next round. Also think it will Knock the Waddin out of whatever it hit's . Gonna give it a try and report back,Thank's Amigo.........Dusty Texian
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

olyinaz wrote:

Accuracy!

Not shot any at paper,,,,just rocks! Noted the impact and called any bad shot etc.

I have five ready to test with just a tenth more Greendot!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Dusty Texian wrote:Thank's Nath. for a look into Huntin in England. That turning the bullet around Idea is top's kinda opens the door of thought for me. I have a few hundred 168 grn. FMJ's in .308 that can be used in my 30-30 backward's and can be loaded in the magazine ,because of the hollow base as a tip will not harm the primer on the next round. Also think it will Knock the Waddin out of whatever it hit's . Gonna give it a try and report back,Thank's Amigo.........Dusty Texian
Yeah, I meant to try that in my 30/30 but never did, bet it works though and you/we won't be the first to as well!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Nath wrote:And when folk reverse thier car your opinion is?

And when folk swage bullet jackets from spent 22 cases is that also all wrong?

And when a patched ball rifle happens to shoot well sprue down is that all wrong too?

N. :wink:
When folks reverse their car.... It's because it's designed for that activity.
Never seen a swage bullet jackets from spent .22...
Shoot well spruce down? Must be an English thing? Never heard of it.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

olyinaz wrote:

Do a little more damage backwards! Can't afford the appropriate bullets? Wad cutters are an excellent choice for this instead of a possible safety risk. I bet you can't find one bullet manufacturer that will come out and openly say that loading their bullets backwards is totally acceptable practice. Then again, I'm surprised the moderators of this forum allows you to post potential unsafe practice posts here that put the thoughts of ammunition miss-use as an acceptable practice to duplicate and use as normal.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

1930 Vs 2013... Not relevant.
You Tube. Please read the Disclaimer on the video itself from the maker. Video is irrelevant also.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It does however point out that this has been done numerous times and published on the web and as far as I know(please correct me) no one has died or recieved a serious injury.

I think we are all in more danger driving to the range than this. Or hunters getting snow in their muzzle.
To think this easy to do abnormal thing can be so dangerous and there is no bold print warnings on box's of bullets is amazing!

Suppose some folk just like their opinions so so much that all sense leaves them.

Nevermind :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Nath wrote:It does however point out that this has been done numerous times and published on the web and as far as I know(please correct me) no one has died or recieved a serious injury.

I think we are all in more danger driving to the range than this. Or hunters getting snow in their muzzle.
To think this easy to do abnormal thing can be so dangerous and there is no bold print warnings on box's of bullets is amazing!

Suppose some folk just like their opinions so so much that all sense leaves them.

Nevermind :)

N.
I agree with your pretty much so etc. Diesel fuel is made for a single purpose but, used in a different manor than designed can be hazardous. That also goes for butter knives. (Most probably a poor analogy there). Should you do what you do is what you do etc. I never heard of anyone being hurt by it also. I have talked with maybe? 4-5 people who do it and it was or seems to me as an issue that why they do it is because they want to be perceived as being the go to person that is in the know or the forefront of Firearms knowledge or it's just plain cool and have no actual answer. After a few questions that started with the word "Why" the subject quickly changed or their Ignorance of the subject matter quickly diminished to dirt. Although I will always promote safety.... I will always respect the opinions of others... to each his own so to speak. Big John
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Nice shooting Nath. Thanks for sharing.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Eye-Bite said;

I agree with your pretty much so etc. Diesel fuel is made for a single purpose but, used in a different manor than designed can be hazardous. That also goes for butter knives. (Most probably a poor analogy there). Should you do what you do is what you do etc. I never heard of anyone being hurt by it also. I have talked with maybe? 4-5 people who do it and it was or seems to me as an issue that why they do it is because they want to be perceived as being the go to person that is in the know or the forefront of Firearms knowledge or it's just plain cool and have no actual answer. After a few questions that started with the word "Why" the subject quickly changed or their Ignorance of the subject matter quickly diminished to dirt. Although I will always promote safety.... I will always respect the opinions of others... to each his own so to speak. Big John

Thats just fine sir.

My reasons are not born from ignorance or ego issues, I just think it is handy that when out with my 94 I have the facility to take small game cheaply and efficiently period.

Nite nite.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Touche!