the levergun trilogy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

the levergun trilogy

Post by new pig hunter »

at the range the other day with 3 leverguns .....

Winchester BigBore94 in .375 Winchester
It is embarrassing to say, but I've owned this one for nearly 10 years and haven't had it out much at all. I used it as my ".38-55" rifle for most of those years. But I recently put a better scope on it (my eyesight requires a scope, I use a Burris FFII 2-7x35) and decided to use .375Win since I have lots of it.
-- Well, I was more than happy. I got the scoped nicely adjusted at 50 yards, then also at 100 yards. Very accurate, nice groups, I give lots of credit for that to the rifle itself and the ammo reloaded personally for me by Ten-X ammo (the ammo is likewise very accurate in my Marlin 375). I put 4 boxes downrange and enjoyed every shot.
-- One very important difference between this Winchester and my Marlin 375: getting the cartridge into the chamber. The Winchester has super smooth and flawless loading, the cartridge movement is without problem. The Marlin is not smooth, you often have to "mess" with the lever a little bit to jiggle things around to get the cartridge into the chamber, no matter if you cycle gently or with authority.

Marlin in .444 Marlin
This one is becoming a favorite, with Burris FFII 2-7x35 scope. The feeding on this one is effortless, the cartridge moves smoothly from magazine to chamber. Not a lot to say about this rifle other than consistent and fun to shoot.
-- I put 3 boxes of Wisconsin Cartridge 240-gr ammo downrange. Great ammo, very accurate & good groups in this rifle.

Winchester Trapper in .45LC
This one is equipped with a Burris FFII 3-9x40 scope, a bit large in physical size but it was the only one in my scope locker when I bought the rifle 10+ years ago. Maybe one of these days I'll put a smaller-size on it.
-- This rifle is most-definite favorite. With the target at 100 yards, no problem putting shot after shot into the bullseye. The scope is nicely sighted-in at 100 yards and the ammo is fantastic.
-- 2 boxes of Underwood 250-gr +P sent downrange. I will put in yet another shameless plug for this ammo, it is incredibly accurate and consistent. A couple of years ago I sent to Underwood all my brass, he reloaded it. And I have been overjoyed with how well it performs in my Trapper.
-- Way out at 220 yards some fellow had put a box of clay pigeons on the berm and once I figured out the holdover, I actually hit a few !!

Oh, and I found time to shoot 10 clips out of my M1 Garand. It ain't no levergun, but "the ping" makes it worth the effort. I found an S&K scope mount a couple of weeks ago and got the scope sighted-in.

Cheers,

Carl
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: the levergun trilogy

Post by C. Cash »

You have your bases well covered New Pig Hunter. Love them Big Bores and Trappers! The BB's have always seemed a cut above, at least among post 94's. Here is my Big Bore with my son's Marlin 336 "Texan" in 44 Mag. Image
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

No mystery, that trilogy - just neat fun. BUT........WHERE'S THE PIC'S ! ! . :mrgreen:

Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Here's my usual lever gun center fire range trilogy, with my 9422 thrown in to boot.

1978 Winchester Big Bore 94 in .375 Win
2012 Rossi 92 20" carbine in .45 Colt
1973 Winchester 94 in .30-30
2000 Winchester 9422 Trapper

I have a Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .45 Colt, but I really prefer the Model 92.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

I have a pair of Winchester 94s chosen from the two best eras of Winchester manufacturing.......pre-64 and post-2010 (the Miroku of Japan built 94s).
I call them "Grandpa" & "The Kid".
I never had any interest in the press stamped pot-metal contraptions Winchester made after 1964.
"Grandpa" is a beautiful old 1955 American built pre-64 Winchester model 1894 chambered in 30 WCF........20% of the bluing has gone to patina and the stock is a bit patchy but it is still without a speck of rust or pitting, glass smooth cycling and pin point accurate.
"The Kid" is a Winchester model 94 Trails End in 450 Marlin with take-down capability made in the Miroku gun factory in Japan and is a beautifully slick and accurate firearm weighing in at only 6 3/4 pounds.
I stood in front of a 2" diameter black circle target placed at 25 yards with the Winchester 94TE in 450 marlin this afternoon at the range and not a single bullet of a ten shot volley landed outside the 2" circle. The gun kicks about like my Ruger M77 in 300 Winchester Magnum which is a 7 pound gun. Noticeable but manageable.
Not bad for iron sights and these 6 decade old eyes of mine.
Nice to have 2 very fine Winchester 94s from the 2 vintage generations.......pre-64 & post 2010.
I don't own a single 94 from the Winchester "lost generation" 1964 - 2006) and am not interested in acquiring any.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER