Barking a Squill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Barking a Squill

Post by 3leggedturtle »

MrMurphy posted a reply that said if you hit a squirrel with a 150gr SP from a 30/30 you wouldn't need a 2nd shot. My question is, Has anyone tried barking a squill? I never have, never really thought about it till now. Any experience doing this? 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Barking a Squill

Post by Rusty »

I've heard of it just about all my life but never did it myself. As I understand it the idea is to hit the tree limb under a squirrel's head thus showering him with bark, causing a head injury and stunning them to knock them out of the tree. It is usually done with a .22 rifle or a muzzleloading rifle. All my people were shotgun hunters.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I did it once with a .22 using LR solids. The shot was a miss that worked out for the better.One of my brothers was there to see it and still talks about it today-that was in 1964 give or take a year.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

My Dad once tried it with a .270 on a porcupine, probably before I was even born. Always told me that the splinters made a mess out of the poor critter's entire underside and it needed to be shot again to be put out of it's misery.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I tried it once, with my .36 underhammer muzzleloader - just because............... :roll:

The Squill jumped a mile and then flipped me what looked suspiciously like one digit of his paw, before making hisself scarce. ;)

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP, BARKED A SQUIRREL WITH 44SPL LOADS FROM A SUPER'HAWK SIXGUN OUT OF THE BIGGEST OAK TREE IN THAT SECTION OF LAND. IT LIFTED HIM RIGHT UP AND AWAY FROM THE TREE AND HE LANDED, DEADER THAN CANNED TUNA, AT LEAST 30' BEHIND ME. HE WAS ONE HUGE FOX SQUIRREL TOO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I shot a squirrel once with a 30-30 with 150 grain. My plan was to bark him but I ended up taking his head completely off. My guess is I missed the bark and took the head.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Terry Murbach wrote:YEP, BARKED A SQUIRREL WITH 44SPL LOADS FROM A SUPER'HAWK SIXGUN OUT OF THE BIGGEST OAK TREE IN THAT SECTION OF LAND. IT LIFTED HIM RIGHT UP AND AWAY FROM THE TREE AND HE LANDED, DEADER THAN CANNED TUNA, AT LEAST 30' BEHIND ME. HE WAS ONE HUGE FOX SQUIRREL TOO.
:lol: Wish I'd been there to see that. Quite a sight barking a squirrel with that .429 slug. Bet you had a big ol' grin on your face after all the commotion ended.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I whacked one with a 444 marlin once. Didn't need a follow up shot.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

wolfdog wrote:I whacked one with a 444 marlin once. Didn't need a follow up shot.
I've said that about moose and a 444!!!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have read that they had hunting contests back in Colonial times where a critter that was dead but had no bullet holes was worth more points than one with a hole in it.

That said, I have done it when varmint hunting gray diggers (sage rats) with a .22-250 and they can end up several feet from where they were and without a drop of blood showing. A 40 gr. bullet at 4,000
+ fps has done it without problem for me. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, never barked a squirrel, but one afternoon, this fellow decided that we couldn't continue to occupy the same general area. Missed him clean, but a rock splinter "rocked" him quite dead. Same principal, and mighty glad it works.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Not too long after I bought new one the H&R "shikari" 45-70's, went walking in the woods with the little brother and came upon a squirrel long ways up in a oak tree(note--no one around for miles and trunk was behind the limb) Hit the limb(big limb, about a foot it dia. Big tree) on the first shot and it seemed like the squirrel went about 5' in the air , then made an arc and fell about 50 ft and hit the leaf covered ground. We were laughing so hard, when the squirrel got up and staggered around a bit, we just let him go run off.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I have not barked a squirrel, but I shot one that was jumping from tree to tree by me while deer hunting one winter. Pieces of tree rat everywhere!!
He quit barking.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When meat was scarce & Balls Large (.58 cal +... get yor mind outta da gutter...) hitting a squirrel with a ball would gut & fillet it... not so good for the stew pot.

OTOH, you could sure stun (and sometimes kill) a squirrel by hitting the branch right below where it was laughing /barking at you.

A good dog would be right there to pick it up & finish it if necessary.

Made for good Sport later on when meat wasn't as scarce.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!