Fun and games on a rainy day.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Fun and games on a rainy day.

Post by mergus »

On Friday, I whipped up a light load to fire in my 45-70 Marlin 1895. A buddy from work had given me a box of .457 round balls he gotten in trade for something else. I had some 45-70 brass kicking around, so I lubed and sized them and used a 2.1cc dipper to scoop of approx 9.9 grains of Trail Boss into them. I seated the ball in the case mouth so that the widest part of the ball was just inside the mouth.

I figured before I got too far along I would test fire a couple. Unfortunately for me, the wife had decided at the last moment to work from home that day. So, I had to wait till she was between conf calls in order to test fire them in my usual spot, off the back porch. They worked great! No kick, plenty of zip, and shot to point of aim at the customary backyard distance of 40 yards or so. Now these will become my standard loads to use as I practice my offhand shooting.

An unintended bonus was that the wife appreciates going to work a little more than she did. :)

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fun and games on a rainy day.

Post by Mescalero »

My girlfriend works from home, great pay, benefits, bonuses, raises.............
but she is ALWAYS around.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:My girlfriend works from home, great pay, benefits, bonuses, raises.............
There ya go.....You should never have to fetch your own beverages and snacks..... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Boy, are you in for an education!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Boy, are you in for an education!
Does the Lady read these? I'll prolly get to say hi someday and want to be safe.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

She could if she wanted, she just don't give a hoot what I do.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How do you keep the ball from getting pushed down into the case (and what would happen if it did...)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

"How do I keep the ball from getting pushed down the case?" Truthfully, that was a concern before I started. I adjusted the amount of flare on the case mouth so that there is very little flare, Then I use the bullet seating die, adjusted way out, to just barely push the ball into the case so that the widest part of the ball is just below the case mouth. When I shoot them, I load them individually. So far, so good.

What would happen, if they did go into the case? I don't know for sure, but my guess is that with using Trail Boss, that I could push the ball quite a ways into the case before pressure became an issue. Would the ball be loose inside the case if it went too far? Maybe. So far I haven't had that happen, and haven't had to deal with the consequences. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I make a similar load for my 38-55 with a .375 RB.
Even more fun is Two .375 round ball. Two legged critter load in my mind.
This load is in my Lyman 47th issue manual but not in my 49th. Makes me wonder why.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
lever- believer
Levergunner

Post by lever- believer »

for some reason when i read the title i wa thinking you were going to talk about cornholing. sorry, seems to be the rage in my parts these parts.
"The Anger of Man worketh not the Justice of God" - Book of James
"If you cant kill something with 6 or less shots then you shouldn't have P*ssed it off to begin with"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mergus wrote:Would the ball be loose inside the case if it went too far? Maybe. So far I haven't had that happen, and haven't had to deal with the consequences. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.
I guess it would be hard for it to get 'loose' in that case - would be kinda scary if it were a bottle-neck case like loading a .310" lead ball in a 30-06 case like a friend of mine does. At least like you, he single-loads them (in an Encore pistol, among other guns).
lever- believer wrote:for some reason when i read the title i wa thinking you were going to talk about cornholing. sorry, seems to be the rage in my parts these parts.
We love to play that, but our original set came with corn or beans or something 'organic' in the bags, and would NOT be good for a rainy-day; they even molded when up against a condensation-damp concrete wall in the hot humid weather. Gotta get new bags filled with pea gravel or plastic beads or something.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:My girlfriend works from home, great pay, benefits, bonuses, raises.............
There ya go.....You should never have to fetch your own beverages and snacks..... 8)
That right there gave me a good chuckle. :lol:
NRA Life Member