wood Laminated Stocks ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

wood Laminated Stocks ?

Post by cshold »

It could just be me not looking in the right places.
It sure seems like wood laminated gun stocks are all but nonexistent.
I just looked through the latest copy of American Hunter, I don't
think I saw one rifle with a laminated stock. What I'm seeing is all old school
wood stocks or the plastic / synthetic stocks. Anyone else notice this?
Did problems develop with the laminated stocks over the years?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: wood Laminated Stocks ?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have 2 guns that wear laminated furniture, one is from the early 90's and has been to there and back a couple different times. I've never experienced or heard of wholesale issues with laminated stocks.

I can only hazard to guess about why you aren't seeing them as much anymore but 7 times outta 10 it's gonna be cost, 2 outta 10 it's gonna be demand. That only leaves 1 outta 10 for other reasons. Plastic is cheap and "foreign" hardwoods are readily available and cheap. Demand may be down and all that leaves very few reasons to manufacture their own wood like product.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They have zero problems other than being heavy.
You can always get one here to replace that plastic piece of junk offered on many of the rifles today.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/?utm_sour ... dium=email
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Thank heaven people finally came to their senses. Plywood stocks are about the ugliest thing that has ever been attached to a well machined hunk of steel. I know they were used on military weapons when the need for stocks outstripped the available real wood for stocks, but why would anyone want to use plywood when they don't have too?

Oh wait, this is sure to get me flamed (has every other time I've stated my dislike for plywood), but I'm a big boy and can take it. Besides, I might just still have a 40 year old suit of silvers around here some place. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

jeepnik wrote:Thank heaven people finally came to their senses. Plywood stocks are about the ugliest thing that has ever been attached to a well machined hunk of steel. I know they were used on military weapons when the need for stocks outstripped the available real wood for stocks, but why would anyone want to use plywood when they don't have too?

Oh wait, this is sure to get me flamed (has every other time I've stated my dislike for plywood), but I'm a big boy and can take it. Besides, I might just still have a 40 year old suit of silvers around here some place. :twisted:
Jeepnick I tend to agree, especially the ones with orange or green layers. I passed on buying a Marlin XLR because I wanted to see if it was going to come out in a walnut stock.

I eventually bought a Savage that is laminated, but all the layers are the same color so it's not too garish. And it's a great rifle otherwise. It might be getting hard for manufacturers to find pieces of wood that are large enough for certain designs. Plywood solves that.

Perhaps the market has shifted to black rifles for non-traditional people, and old style walnut for the old fogies, leaving no one interested in laminates.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago I had a WWII era German K-43 that had a laminated beech or birch stock I forget which it was. I always thought they were a little heavy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, their extra weight, extra cost, and less than traditional look have pretty much relegated lamo stocks to the aftermarket and/or some custom rifle makers.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I was looking at WW2 Mauser 98 the other day, the laminated stock seemed to be holding up pretty well after all these years.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Laminated stocks don't warp.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Laminated wood can present some interesting designs, and I hear that they are good stocks, tough, no warping, etc.

I'd probably own one if I had a gun that was just sitting around to be 'pretty' and look at, like maybe a functioning wall hanger, if you will, or something that I never had to lift or camoflauge to go hunting, something colorful for prairie dogs or bait to entice the wife to spend some time at the range.

I dunno. I can't place the utility, but I think some of them look pretty cool.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Each to his own. They don`t excite me the way a piece of fancy American,English or French walnut do. Oh by the way, have you priced any of those extra fancy Walnut blanks lately? A block of wood large enough to make a stock out of can bring the price of TWO very nice new factory hunting rifles.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Laminated stocks don't warp.

Uhh, they're still wood. And wood, even plywood will warp under some circumstances. They may be less prone to shrinkage and warping, but they will do both to some degree or another. Personally, I can take good enough care of a good old hunk of solid wood not to worry about warping.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess I'm different than most then, I happen to like the laminated stocks. Yes, they are heavy, but for certain rifles that's not a bad thing. Solid, easy to bed, and some of them I think are down right nice looking. I love this Boyd's stock on my 22-250 Mauser.

NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.30-30 WinTuff Model 94AE

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't really 'mind' laminate, but i'd prefer synthetic for a rifle i'm actually going to use.

Either that or i'll go with original wood and be very, very careful with it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Except in bench rest competition I see no advantage to laminated stocks. The stock themselves, when made properly, are well suited to their purpose, stable and strong. But, far heavier than they need to be, except in that recoil handling department... there, they may well be better than the solid wood or plastic alternatives. They are VERY stable shape-wise, hench their applicability to target type rifles, but that heaviness is a minus when it comes to what you're willing to hump thru the woods. Just how many folks like carrying an 1886 26" octagon barrel come woods hunting time? Especially when you have something smaller and lighter that will bag game just as well?

I'm just kinda surprised that it took so long for their novelty and uniqueness to wear off! I'm with ya Jeepnik, no flames from this corner! Except for that rifle that carried from the vehicle to the firing line for a benchrest match... I'd have NO use for one. Oh, wait, I don't do "bench rest"... so I have no need of one... clearly demonstrated by the fact that I don't HAVE one!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is walnut and steel for me if that is possible.

However I would choose laminate over plastic anyday. The only plastic in my safe is a 22 Hornet Handi. I have no laminates. Plastic is not as poor as I expected but a replacement might be in its future. It sure feels cheap and Mattel like though. The rifle is a dandy with a quick twist barrel for a Hornet and real affordable (cheap price and QC).

I also am not fond of stainless but if I needed a real tough canoe rifle I would be tempted with a stainless Marlin with the black and grey laminate with a few coats of extra finish inside or out.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Like most I prefer good 'ol walnut but I will say while hunting in thick timber and climbing around hills, I tore up a wood stock pretty good, (not scratches, just scars 8) ) . I have a Marlin 45-70 XLR with the grey laminate and I like it's looks. It was a little heavy but not bad. I shaved off a lot of weight by cutting the barrel down to 18" from 24". The balance makes it easy to lug around. The biggest advantage is it's extremely durable. I've fell on it, slid down hillsides on my back while it was slung, dropped it, etc...not a noticeable scratch on it. I'm working up the courage to take my '61 Win 94 this year because of a shoulder surgery. It is in great shape and I really don't want to tear it up but I suppose it was made to hunt.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Would some of you guys that compain about how heavy laminated gun stocks are please weigh your wood stocks and let me know how much they weigh.
My laminated gun stocks from Boyds weigh in at 2.1 pounds, after piller bedding the actions
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Quality laminate stock wood is kiln dried to start with, then after the laminations are cut from it synthetic resins are forced under pressure into the laminate to moisture proof and strengthen .... then the laminations are oriented according to their grain structure in directions that will offset shrinkage, if any, then bonded under pressure & heat with special adhesives ... All the gluing and resin treating is what makes the product heavy, but bench rest shooters back in the day didn't mind the extra weight... They wanted and got a rigid strong and warp free stock,however some producers of laminate stocks do cut corners....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY