Universal Shotgun sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Universal Shotgun sight

Post by vancelw »

Anybody here have any real-life experience with Universal Shotgun sights like the ones made by TruGlo or Williams?
TRG960.jpg
Williams.jpg
I'm thinking of buying a set to play with shooting slugs out of my 20ga Springfield 511. I tried with the bead and it was not pretty.
I figure a set of these is cheaper than buying a Baikal or Sabatti double rifle and then getting bored with it :D

If I get decent results I may buy some brass and load my own, with help and guidance of those who have done it before me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Universal Shotgun sight

Post by Pete44ru »

Every one I've seen & used needed a VR for attachment, since that's how they clamp under the rib - IDK if a 511 has a VR or a solid rib.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've used the bead type that snap to the barrel, not the rib version, but the fiberoptics work well except in total darkness. Very quick.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Every one I've seen & used needed a VR for attachment, since that's how they clamp under the rib - IDK if a 511 has a VR or a solid rib.

That's one of the things I was wondering. 511 has solid rib that seems to be 3/8" I haven't put the calipers on it yet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a set on a ribbed Remington 870 barrel with screw in chokes - rifled choke installed. I use the "ghost ring" rear sight that comes with it. With Winchester Super X 1oz bulk pack slugs I get 2" groups at 50-75 yards. The Remington Buckhammer 1.25 oz slugs group 3 - 3.5" at the same range. This is less than half the group size I got without the rifled choke tube. It is also an inch or so smaller groups than I got with the plain open rear sight. They are on tight and haven't move a bit. I do think the front sight could be knocked off or damaged if you whack it on something hard enough, but mine has held up. If you want to see or try them just call me and come on over.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

86er wrote:.... If you want to see or try them just call me and come on over.
I may holler at you sometime when I'm coming through. Tnx.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I got my calipers out and the rib on my ca. 1975 Springfield 511 starts at the breech end at ~3.45" and at the muzzle it's ~2.45"

That could cause me difficulty in fitting a universal sight. I'll have to get my hands on some and see how they mount. The rib is solid and not vented. My 16 ga ca. 1965 Rem 870 has a vent rib and I have slugs for it (and about 50 boxes of shells-think that's enough?)