I love Utah Gun Mfgs...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

I love Utah Gun Mfgs...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Case #1:

About 15 years ago I bought my NAA Guardian .32ACP at a gun show for pocket change... because it was broken.

I took it home, boxed it up and shipped it to NAA. They fixed it, replaced most of the guts and sent it back.

Total Cost: Shipping.

Case #2:

I have this Cobra .38 Derringer with no leade - so it can't load CCI shot loads - and was considering a re-throat. BUT

I called Cobrapistols. For LESS THAN $60 they are going to ship me a "spare" barrel set cut to accept the CCI Shot Loads, AND IT WON'T VOID THE WARRANTY!...

Not only that, I'll have it by the end of the week.

Me Likey! 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I love Utah Gun Mfgs...

Post by 86er »

That's extremely good service right there ...
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They would have happily let me mail in my extant barrel for Warranty Approved reaming, but that would have been a 2 week turn around and 2 weeks of a useless gun.

$60 is CHEAP when you think about it.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Less than a weekend's beer ration................... :mrgreen:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You did good. :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought a 9mm barrel for my .38spl a couple years ago. Had to do a little file work on the locking lug to get the
lever to close but only took about 15 minutes.

Decent little pistols. Reminds me of the cap guns I used to buy all the time as a kid.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote:I bought a 9mm barrel for my .38spl a couple years ago. Had to do a little file work on the locking lug to get the
lever to close but only took about 15 minutes.
Yep. They told me up front I would need to do a little fitting on the new barrel. No biggie here.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Another fine American gun company. I reckon you came out good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That sounds like a good deal!!!!
How much for a new frame? might as well have 2 :idea:
hows the trigger on them now?

ollogger
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

ollogger wrote:That sounds like a good deal!!!!
How much for a new frame? might as well have 2 :idea:
hows the trigger on them now?

ollogger
Frames are NFA/4473 items.

The Barrels OTOH are mail-order ready...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Will be interesting to hear how it performs with shot loads. Love my Contender 45/410, but it to big/heavy to carry for just in case situations.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I gotta mention Match Grade Machine (MGM). Not a gun mfr. per se but a St George, Utah firm that makes TC single shots one heck of a lot more useful. They make custom barrels for TC break action single shots, both sizes, and both pistols and rifles.

And shotguns, as it happens, at least the used 28 guage barrel I have for my G2 carbine is marked "Match Grade Machine" on the ventilated rib. My (also used) .410 barrel was apparently made by the old TC "Custom Shop" and doesn't have the MGM marking.

They chamber for all appropriate ctgs. and all reasonable barrel lengths, including LOTS of levergun ctgs. from .22 short to 45-90, including Savage 99 calibers. So far all the bbls. I've got from them have been completely "drop in"--no fitting required.

I'm tempted to get an MGM .25-35 WCF rifle barrel for my G2. Always wanted to mess with that caliber but I don't like Win 94s much (Yeah, I know , HERESY!), can't afford a 99 in that caliber now, and REALLY can't afford to have C. Sharps make me a Hiwall in .25-35 (wish I could). But I could afford a new G2 barrel.

I have also found that customer service at MGM is friendly and--imagine this--know their products and what TC shooters want. And, no, I'm not a stockholder, although if they did a public offering like Ruger did, , I probably WOULD be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OI - don't you just love companies that stand behind their products AND want to make their customers happy at every opportunity? Thank you for letting us know about two more such firms.

BTW, is the Cobra the old "Davis Derringer" company, or two entirely different companies? I have a Davis Derringer in .38 Special. It does handle Speer shotshell loads, but I'm interested in perhaps getting a spare barrel or two, and changing out the grips.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike Armstrong wrote:
I gotta mention Match Grade Machine (MGM). Not a gun mfr. per se but a St George, Utah firm that makes TC single shots one heck of a lot more useful. They make custom barrels for TC break action single shots, both sizes, and both pistols and rifles.

And shotguns, as it happens, at least the used 28 guage barrel I have for my G2 carbine is marked "Match Grade Machine" on the ventilated rib.

They chamber for all appropriate ctgs. and all reasonable barrel lengths, including LOTS of levergun ctgs. from .22 short to 45-90, including Savage 99 calibers. So far all the bbls. I've got from them have been completely "drop in"--no fitting required.

I'm tempted to get an MGM .25-35 WCF rifle barrel for my G2.

I have also found that customer service at MGM is friendly
Good to know, Mike - Thanks for posting the reference.

I'd sorta like to have a .30-30 Contender Carbine........... :roll:

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

they do have a tough tradition to uphold

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

You worked that out very nicely.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pete44ru wrote:
Mike Armstrong wrote:

And shotguns, as it happens, at least the used 28 guage barrel I have for my G2 carbine is marked "Match Grade Machine" on the ventilated rib.

I'm tempted to get an MGM .25-35 WCF rifle barrel for my G2.

I have also found that customer service at MGM is friendly
Good to know, Mike - Thanks for posting the reference.

I'd sorta like to have a .30-30 Contender Carbine........... :roll:

Mike; Ed's TCs has a 25/35 barrel listed for $275 NIB. I have bought 5 barrels from him, nice guy but hard to get a hold of sometimes. MGM is a great to talk to they will "throat" a barrel for you in whatever way you want. When T/C Custom shop was still open they were a pleasure to talk and deal with. Ordered 3 barrels from them in 05 and 06.

Pete44; Ed's also has 24" taper and 21" 30/30 barrels listed. Even have a stainless one I think.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Turtle, I got my 28-bore used from Ed's. Good people. I'll check on his .25-35 to see if it's what I'm looking for--since I've waited a while for this, I'm gonna be picky, picky....right profile, right length, right twist, TIGHT chamber, yadda, yadda, yadda.

One thing I liked about MGM was that I was vacillating between ordering a .308 bore .32-20 barrel and a .312 bore. They understood my dilemma and were ready to make either one! Or both.

For those of you who DON'T suffer from our California Condor plague, you may not understand how serious a mess it causes for shooters of traditional calibers. But trust me, it requires some figuring and finagling. Nothin' a serious rifle loony can't handle, so far, tho.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Cobra is the old Davis.
Denis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ain't you glad you came here and got such good advice? :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!