How does this forum work?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeAuge
Levergunner

How does this forum work?

Post by MikeAuge »

I have no idea how this whole thing (forum) works, but figured I better jump in and find out. I have a Smith & Wesson Military & Police Model 10 .38 that I bought in 1968 or so when I was in the Marine Corps. I am retired now and like to shoot most anything I can afford to shoot. I was looking for a lever action rifle that shoots .38 special so I could use the same ammo in both firearms. That is how I found this forum, but have no idea how it works. After making a post on where to find a rifle that shoots .38 special, I found a place in Wisconsin that had the rifle I wanted / could afford. It would have been nice to buy the Henry Big Boy, but I guess that will have to wait until I win the Lottery of someone leaves me a lot of money. So I bought a Rossi M 92 with the octagonal 22 inch barrel. It shoots just fine and I guess I'll have to take it to the range to figure out about the rear ramp sight. I am a volunteer (and Range Safety Officer) at the Missouri Dept of Conservation / Andy B. Dalton shooting Range near Ash Grove Missouri, and know about a lot of firearms, just not this Rossi. By the way, the manual (if you can call it that) is lacking in every way possible. While we have lots of firearms for our public classes at the range, we do not have any lever rifles, so I am on my own to learn how to shoot this rifle. I read several reviews about this Rossi and how some tend to be stiff in the lever movement. One gun shop said to put some gritty wax car polish in the locking lugs and work it for a while then clean it. Hmmmmm..... Maybe I'll just shoot it for a few years and see if it gets smoother. It does work just fine, just a little stiff. We used something in the Marine Corps (1968 - 1980) that came in a small tube, was black and I believe it was called "lubri-plate" - it's been a while. Are there any Rossi owners who care to comment? By the way, I don't like the little safety on top of the rifle.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How does this forum work?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard. The way this forumn works is this. If need want advice on if you should buy something, we will ENABLE and tell you to buy/get it :D Any question you have, someone will be able to help, answer and solve it. Again welcome to the best site on the "NET" Thank You for your service. Todd/3leg

I got lucky my Puma 357 will chamber everything, including empty 38Spec cases with complete reliability, just start shooting it and go from there. Our resident Nate Kiowa Jones is the propietar of StevesGunz. Lots of wealth and info there.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mike-- welcome :)

I cant say that I have a lot of experience with the Rossi platform personally, but I am about to find out -- as my local gun enabling emporium has a Ranch Hand in 45colt that I almost have to try - :lol: -- so I will learn from other's experiences for sure -- with those weird little guns, I am not expecting much going in, but Steve has made some cool ones for sure

Steves Gunz posts here regularly under his SASS name "NateKiowaJones:" -- he has some videos for sale that show how to slick up those rifles a bit that even a casual enthusiast can follow

Welcome!
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It works like you say any old thing that comes to mind.....someone will no doubt chime in.....political? has it's own forum...Welcome to the fire 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Welcome Mike.
Here's the link to the pro on Rossi's. They also have a peep sight to replace the ugly safety on top. Those leverguns are addicting. I came on here years ago like you. Now I have 5 leverguns from a .22 to 45-70.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wecome to the fire.. :D
How does this forum work? simple, you tell us what you want and we tell you to go out and buy it... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

game keeper wrote:Wecome to the fire.. :D
How does this forum work? simple, you tell us what you want and we tell you to go out and buy it... :wink:
+1 and then some GK :mrgreen: best bunch enablers on the web :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Likely you'll want to replace the sights...

Here's an old post of mine showing lots of sight options - > Thread on Sight Options

And here's one on installing a Williams FP on the Rossi > Thread on Williams FP
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome to the forum! Great group of guys and gals here. The overall knowledge base and respectfulness are not found on any other gun forum.

Regarding the stiff action: The Winchester 1892 is one of John Moses Browning's best, smoothest, strongest actions ever made. It did require the gunmaker to hand-fit a couple of the parts. Due to cost-cutting measures, the reproduction guns are not hand-fitted and they used a couple of heavier springs to overcome the poor fit. This causes the stiff action. NOTE: The locking lugs are NOT the cause of that last catch as the bolt closes. It is caused by the heavy ejector spring. A properly fitted ejector and spring will drop the spent brass in a neat pile off by your right foot rather than chucking them all over like an autoloader.

As was noted above, www.stevesgunz.com is the place to go to for things 92. Steve has been tapped by the manufacturers for his expertise on the 92. He can slick up your gun for you or, if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude, you can buy his DVD, ejector spring and magazine follower and do it yourself. The machines are not that complicated and the fitting not extensive.

The result will be the slickest, most fun gun in your stable.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Welcome! Somewhere in the rules it says we "talk about most anything" as long as we're civil to one another. You're in the right place to find out whatever you need regarding leverguns and others too. My boys started out with a Rossi (Puma) shooting 38 SPL. It was slick as can be and never malfunctioned. Later, we loaded some 347 Mag until we created a loading that would shoot a 3" or less group at 100 yards. That's with two 5 year olds shooting it. My oldest boy took his first deer at 82 yards with that Rossi and a 357 158gr Speer FP @ 1730 fps. Plenty of latitude in loads which equals versatility. Steve is the go-to guy for anything '92! Good luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the forum! No need to repeat anything, as it has been covered well. I have a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt that Steve slicked up years ago, and as Tycer noted, it is the smoothest and most fun gun I own.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

um, it works best with photos

.357 baby rolling block
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Oh-Yez ! Pics are mandatory for new board members. ;)

(Welcome to our little corner of the www, BTW :mrgreen: )

IMHO, Model 92's work best with a peep sight ILO the rear bbl open/iron sight.(Although YMMV, of course)

Steve (http://www.stevesgunz.com) sells a "drop-in" bolt peep sight that's a direct (5 mins) replacement for that bolttop lawyer safety - just open the bolt & drift out the little crosspin in the bolt's lug recess to release the safety body, then carefully remove it upward, taking care not to lose the little safety detent ball & spring (it's not used for the bolt peep).
The safety's retention crosspin will be used to retain the bolt peep sight.
(I used a toothpick to scratch out the colored paint from the "F" & "S" on the bolt top)

My .357/.38 Rossi M92 zeroed in 5 shots using the issue front sight with a similar bolt peep (I made my own from a Skinner LoPro), because those peeps mount right at the bore C/L.
Any windage adjustments needed with the bolt peep will be negligible, and easily handled by moving the front sight (usually less than 1/8").

If you decide to mount a peep, don't forget to remove/lose the rear bbl sight for a clean sight picture.

A commercial dovetail slot filler ($6) can be had, or one can be easily filed up from the dovetail portion of an old longleaf rear sight.

If you like a Williams receiver/peep sight ( I used a top-mount 5D-94AE ILO AJ's side-mount FP-94 on one of my M92's), the safety can be trimmed (ground/cold-blued) down so it won't interfere with the peep sight bar.

FWIW : With any lever action, when cycling one, don't "baby" it - work the lever like it owes you money......... 8)

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Welcome. I have an older Interarms Rossi 92 in 38/357, and it's a blast to shoot, although mine has accuracy issues. Others dont seem to have my issues, though. Check the forum for a recent post about an Englishman nailing a hare at 179 paces....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_big- ... C_1873.htm

here is a nice Chuck Hawks article comparing three common 38/357 rifles. Post pictures when you get one!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Welcome! There's about 2.5 thousand years of experience in most all shooting related subjects, and most is worthwhile :lol: All forums have a "personality" of their own and this forum is just like sitting in the general store around the pot bellied stove, swappin' info (and some tall tales). Not too many "know it alls" that put down new member's questions, just honest, gentlemanly talk....

I have a Rossi Puma Mod. 92 in .44 magnum. Not being used to a slick lever action, I don't remember if the action was stiff or not but I've shot it enough to loosen it up to where now it's smooth working the lever. I don't think I'd put any abrasive on the locking lugs though...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...yes, pictures make this forum work better :wink: :

Henry H001L; Browning B-92; EMF/ Rossi 92; Winchester 94

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

we're having fun now

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:No need to repeat anything. . .
Now was that a dig at 86er for his double-post...??? :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! I used valve grinding compound (machine) on my 1st one. But, I took it easy and slow. Then took it apart and stoned the mating surfaces. Then buffed 'em with a polishing wheel on the dremel. Again, slowly and not a lot. I got lucky because it still works, is slicker'n snot on a Louisiana swamp. But I've seen others that were OVER done.

The next two, I skipped that 1st step and had a LOT more control of the finished product. The Rossi 1892 clone, like other leverguns is cartridge length sensitive. Some'll feed anything, some won't. Trying out different cartridges will tell the tale on yours. The 1892 has a few quirks, but nothing that can't be adjusted or a "work-around" can't be found.

Many folks give both Steve's gunsmithin' & DVD high marks. Another source for the DIY'r is Maurder's Tune-up Tips. My 2nd .38Spl/.357M and my .45 Colt Rossis were done using my own slight variation to the methods detailed there and work well. Both of the .38 Rossis were used by my wife and son in CAS and have racked up several championships in the early 1990s when they were competing.

Trust me, you're not going to find an issue that hasn't cropped up before. :P :lol:

No need to baby that lil' carbine Once you get it lined out; it'll probably run fast enough that some folks'll wonder if it ain't an autoloader! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And THAT's how this forum works!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome!! And yes, Rossi operator manuals are just about worthless. I can find more useful information on a roll of toilet paper. They need a new translator or something.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Welcome!! And yes, Rossi operator manuals are just about worthless. I can find more useful information on a roll of toilet paper. They need a new translator or something.
They are now writing assembly instructions for Ikea..... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV