Insurance Rant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Insurance Rant

Post by TedH »

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my wife's accident, and we still don't have a settlement with the insurance company for the loss of her vehicle. The initial folks were great when I first filed the claim, and the adjuster got right on it and checked the car over. He was very thorough, making sure he got every option and every detail. The problem started when they offered a ridiculously low settlement for the car. I seriously thought they were joking at first, but they then explained how they arrived at that value. I promptly told them there was no way I would accept that, and turned the matter over to my attorney. My attorney had got them to come up a few hundred dollars, but they are at an impass now. They are no where near what it would take to replace the car with an identical model, much less retail price. They don't use NADA or KBB, they have their own convoluted method of coming up with a value. So I'm left with only two options, take them to court, or take their low ball offer, which won't even pay off what I still owe on the car. I've filed a complaint with the Missouri State Insurance Commission, but they have told me it could take 60 days to get anything done, even if they can. They know they have me over a barrel, and It just aggravates me to no end. I can't go after the other driver's insurance, because the property damage and personal injury/medical has to be claimed at once, and we're no where near done with the doctors and healing. So that trucker takes our car, nearly takes my wife's life, sticks us with a bill for a totaled car, and now I get to buy another car while still paying off the old one. Not to mention thousands of dollars in medical bills. The hospital called the DAY AFTER she got home wanting $3000 Copay! And none of this was due to any fault of our own! Sorry, but that just ain't right!

Oh, and my insurance company is Allstate. My former insurance company that is!
NRA Life Member
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Insurance Rant

Post by FatJackDurham »

get 'em. that ain't right.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Property damage and personal injusry have to be claimed
at the same time? Hmmm... Not in Maine.

I'd refer all hospital/doctor's calls to the other party's insurance company.

You have my sympathies. All the insurance company will try to do is
pay as little as possible. Stick to your guns. And sue 'em for pain and suffering -
you and your wife are surely in pain and suffering.

Good Luck!

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There should be some hungry young shark willing to take this on a contingency....Or, do they do that anymore? It's a rigged system designed only to fleece the consumer, and line the overlord's pockets... :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I haven't went near Allstate since they dropped me for being rear ended by an uninsured driver back in the 70s. They never did pay anything to fix that car and I had paid for full coverage.

I've had State Farm for years now and a few years back when my daughter took out the side of my truck on a Sonic menu, they fixed it and it didn't cost me a dime.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a precursor of the o'liar_tax

sorry for your woes, you don't deserve this
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've been an Allstate customer for over 20 years and never had a problem getting prompt or fair service whenever I opted to go through them versus the other guy's insurance company. Maybe it's just not my turn in the barrel yet.

Seems like every insurance company wants to low-ball the value of a vehicle. The only thing you can do if you don't want the value of your vehicle based on the information in their documentation is to provide your own documentation that demonstrates the condition, state of upkeep, maintenance, comparisons of cars on the market of the same year, same model, similar mileage, etc.

I've seen a few bumped up significantly. My brother had just totally rebuilt a full-size Wagoneer and his wifey totalled the thing running a red light. He was able to get compensated every cent because he saved his receipts and was able to prove the value and money that was in the vehicle. According to him, anyway.

Me, I'm kinda like you. Some clown wanted to beat me through an intersection and now I'm buying a new truck. But I I did get a fair comp on my old one. It was in great shape but to the insurance guys it was worth more in salvage parts than it would have cost to get it back on the road.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Is there some way you can tell them to just find you the same car in the same condition as the one that got totaled? I seem to recall a story about just that. Insurance company low-balling the car, so the guy said OK, just find me one JUST like it in the same condition. They couldn't, and paid what it took to replace it.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stretch wrote:I'd refer all hospital/doctor's calls to the other party's insurance company.
The hospitals have deeper pockets and I have no sympathy for them, but most doctors won't do that, because they know the insurance company will dilly-dally around and not pay them for six or eight months, if at all. They have businesses to run, payroll to meet, etc. If WE get upset at the insurance company for not paying, we have to pay some staff member $15/hour to sit on hold for an hour to get another 'promise' that won't be honored, and the insurance knows we have NO clout to use to get paid. At least an angry customer can create a big legal and news-media stink with some expectation of sympathy going up against the big bad insurance company. Doctors going up against insurance companies gets no media or legal sympathy. (I know that because for two years now I've been having to lie and bill for only half the time I actually spend with patients, just so our local Medicare carrier (a large and well-known insurance carrier) can maintain a good profit margin, even though doing so has contributed to a 50% income drop - when I complain about it to the various consultants we work with in the medical industry, they just say "that's the way it is - you can't fight 'em - you have to lie for 'em...")

I doubt any of the insurance companies are much better than others - the ones with the better reputations probably just haven't been caught doing as many bad things yet.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

jazman wrote:Is there some way you can tell them to just find you the same car in the same condition as the one that got totaled? I seem to recall a story about just that. Insurance company low-balling the car, so the guy said OK, just find me one JUST like it in the same condition. They couldn't, and paid what it took to replace it.
That was one of the first things I told them after the fight started. They said it wasn't their job to replace my car!
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just my opinion(am no lawyer)go by his advice.(your legal counsel)

What would I do--------------------------------TAKE EM TO COURT!------------------(hold your cards) :wink:

But be anal pushing system to stay on the ball!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Big Three, Allstate, State Farm and Nationwide all stink!
I've been in the "restoration" biz for a couple decades and while property damage
is a bit different than vehicle damage I hear the same snot about the same companies over and over.
Coming up in fourth place is Liberty Mutual.

Stick to the mid-size co's, Cincinnati, State Auto, Auto Owners, USAA. They'll take good care of you.
The ones you don't see on TV every 15 minutes.

just my experience.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I am not an attorney, lawyer etc, but have dealt with this scenario for close to 40 years now.
State laws will vary, but the basics are this, at least for california.
The other guys insurance are accepting liability, as they are offering settlement, and have agreed to increase their offer for the loss of the vehicle. To accelerate your claim and reimbursement for the damage to the vehicle, you should currently have a rental vehicle that is of similar utility to your damaged vehicle, and the other insurance company should be paying for it. This tends to push insurance companies as they dont like spending money.
Your damaged vehicle should be at the tow yard or repair facility incruing a daily storage charge, which is another thing insurance companies hate paying for, and can assist you in a faster claim settlement.
To determine the value of your vehicle Nada and KBB is not always a good or fair guide. Contact the repair shop and ask them what the value of your vehicle is. They can do that through a repair/estimator program such as mitchell or whatever they may use. You also need to check local news papers and dealers to find the local selling price of a similar vehicle to yours.
It is true, you may owe more than what the vehicle is worth due to depreciation .
Find out what the other guys insurance coverage is, there is generally a state mandated minimum for personal damage and property damage. I think california is 25,000 per each.
If your claim is above these amounts and thats all the other party has, you may have sue the other motorist, pay out of your own pocket, or claim off your own full coverage policy. You generally must have full coverage on a vehicle on finance.
If you have hade any work done on your vehicle...new tires, clutch new radio etc etc, make copies of your receipts and submit them with your claim to the other guys agent/asessor.
Keep making your monthly payment to the finance company to protect your credit.
Dont worry about the hospital bills. Keep all bills and send copies to your and the other guys insurance companies/agent.
Tell the hospital whats happening.
I cant say anything on the personal injury and clain as there are too many variables. Just go careful with attorneys, as they can end up getting a percentage of the settlement and leave you short on paying the ambulance and hospital. I have known this to happen.
It will all come out in the wash, I can only hope no one sustained any serious injury.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ted,

as an insurance claims professional (but largely on property homeowners loss side of things - hail , flood, hurricanes etc.)

I am saddened and a bit ashamed of my profession at times -- what a striking polarity it is to the homeowners side where we are instructed to "find coverage everywhere possible" in the course of a disaster, whether small or large -- and only deny or limit coverage after all efforts are exhausted to explore every option in the policy
-- That is what it means to have your insurance company working for you, due to the contract you signed with them for them to do just that
I have no affiliation with Allstate and have to admit I am not very familiar with auto or personal injury claims -- but I still would like to express my sympathies to your family in having to deal with this mess, not just as a leverguns board member but as a fellow human too ---
---- You and your family are in my thoughts this evening

God bless
----- Doug
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

While I hate to say it, I would sue 'em if it were me. Sounds like another arrogant insurance company. They don't use NADA? What a crock of feces. After this is all said and done, I'd drop them like a hot potato.
Hope the wife is doing ok.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I am surprised that your insurance company is even talking to you about replacement of your car if it was the truckers fault. Second you should have filed a claim with the truckers insurance but not closed or agreed to final pay out until all the rehab and care for your wife are completed. As stated before the truckers insurance should be providing you with a rental car, then if your going to retain legal help go after the trucking company.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If they towed the vehicle(say its totaled) to the place that holds it for whatever legal stuff (like the towing agency that towed it,their holding area)the normal going rate for that time around here----------$100 a day! :shock: Would think---------especially other persons insurance company would be moving pretty quickly.
I couldn't believe it but friend of my wife's is going through it right now!------told us the cost!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

time for a delayed personal injury claim - it takes awhile for them to show up, and women always win
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ted,
I can't help you with much except I was in the same boat about 25 years ago. I just paid off a Chrysler LeBaron and I dropped the collision insurance as I was trying to save bucks....kids growing up, mortgage, etc.......

Some low-life with no insurance and no job and obviously with no life to speak of, runs a stop sign and totals our car. The wife was OK.

I sold the car for parts.....about $500 and had to take out another loan to replace it. So I made payments for another 5 years when I thought I was not going to have to.

I'm well insured now and no more Mr. Nice Guy. I will drop an insurance company at the drop of a hat if I find a better deal. I also no longer have sympathy for some low life when he asks for change...I tell him to go get a fg job.

These aggravating things will pass...they always do. In time it will be a distant memory. Your wife is still with you, that is what is important.------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You have my sympathy. My daughter recently just had an accident in a car that I was providing her, a 06 Ford Taurus, which she totaled. My insurance company, USAA, had me paid by the end of the week and while it wasnt as much as I felt it was worth, I received more than the retail value IAW Kelly Blue Book for the vehicle.

I have no clue if you have been in the military, but if so, you may be elligable for USAA.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ted - I'm sorry to hear about your insurance headaches. Having had to deal with them many times in the past, I swear they just try to wear everyone down. The only thing worse is Workers Comp!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

horsesoldier03 wrote:You have my sympathy. My daughter recently just had an accident in a car that I was providing her, a 06 Ford Taurus, which she totaled. My insurance company, USAA, had me paid by the end of the week and while it wasnt as much as I felt it was worth, I received more than the retail value IAW Kelly Blue Book for the vehicle.

I have no clue if you have been in the military, but if so, you may be elligable for USAA.

USAA is the insurance company I am proud to represent daily -- glad it worked out ok for you. I have to admit, even with USAA, its not all smooth sailing, but they try. As mentioned earlier though, I stay out of auto claims entirely for reasons like this thread illustrates
----- Doug
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Dunno what they're doing in your neck o the woods, but last fall we had a near-head-on. I say near because the total damage to the Lincoln was - $550 fixed it up completely at the best body shop around.
So the progressive guy totals the car and writes a $9000 check! Four days later!
Now, KBB put the car loan value at $3100 excellent cond. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfect and nationwide-worthy Continental, and I kept the car of course, and the check. Still takes the highway as smooth and safe as if it were new.

Bu the story was that "the Chinese are buying cars by the scrap pound, so we don't fix 'em anymore, just truck 'em to the coast and stack 'em on a ship - and settle for three times the loan value of the wreck"!!!

Get the best insurance you can afford and get the policy details in hardcopy. Read them! And demand your agent people treat you as the customer. Progressive has treated us right more than once now, on premiums and on settlements.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Ted, you have my sympathy as well. I hate insurance companies for this reason. My company, Citizens has never failed to pay up but my premiums more than cover what I've have collected. I don't know how your state is but here in Michigan we have a no-fault law. So that you are suppose to be covered by your own insurance if the other guy doesn't have any. But my mother-in-law had to sue her own company to get compensation from a kid hitting her head on and he had no insurance. I hate getting lawyers involved but sometime we have no other choice. My wife and I have had a little bump in the road lately and I truly understand the frustration you feel. I hope that your wife makes a full recovery from her injuries. And I hope it will work out to your good in the end.