Forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Forum

Post by Barcelona Rick »

It has been awhile since I posted and I know that I have not been missed but thought I might share an opinion from an "outsider"...I really enjoyed the old Marlin Talk Forum but over the last several months of it's existence the member began to "destroy themselves" and thence the forum. IMO this has been going on here for awhile. It seems that some "respected" members can do no wrong...the newbies ask a question that has been covered earlier and an "old-timer" lets the world know that the question is somehow insulting because it has already been asked/answered. If you beat on the keyboard in caps then you are viewed as all knowing...perhaps you are but the newbie feels the sting and bails...good riddance to some...a loss to others...

We seem to have forgotten the openness/kindness that we once shared...after all we are suppose to be at least partially like minded members of a forum that enjoys the subject of lever guns...I will never achieve the 10,000 post count...I doubt I will ever make the 750 mark and I will never be a "clique member" but it does trouble me to see in-fighting and self destruction...

Only my two cents worth and not really worth that...

rick
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Forum

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I read on here several times everyday.. This is my favorite generally guns forum on the net.. I have not yet seen any bad behavior from anybody. .. I have swapped messages with quite a few members.. Just an excellent forum. I wouldn't change a thing.

Does disappoint me a bit that the pictures that bothered somebody were removed before I got to see them. Can somebody PM them to me ? Nothing bothers me :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like this forum, warts and all, I don't agree with everything said here but I accept that everyone has a point of view and is entitled respectively to air it. Why, some folks here even like Marlins! but I don't get upset... :lol: :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

It's been a while since I've read any instances like the OP states. Not that it doesn't happen, but it seems to happen rarely (never compared to other forums where confrontation is the norm)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I haven't been on a forum yet that didn't have a smart a..s...s of some sort and in some instances it may have even been me !

H...e...l...l off the top of my head I can think of several folks on here that I usually care not in the least to read what they write . Hence they've been ignored !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but I think that some have forgotten (or never read/espoused) this forum's mantra: " This is a high-class place so act respectable."

So, I too totally ignore posts, or threads started by, some folks - just as I believe that some folks surely do the same for me/mine.

MY $0.02: anyone online should have broad shoulders, yet not infringe upon the freedom of, or try to intimidate, others.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's the same phenomenon that TURNS OFF lots of prospective gun owners in gun stores.

If we want to bring others into the interesting area of leverguns, we need to be nice to them, even if they ask 'stupid' questions.

Now at least face-to-face, there is body-language, a wink or nod, deference or smiles or behavior from other bystanders, or some other way to indicate that "I'm just funnin' with you young'un - don't take no offense..." but on a forum the words aren't gentle.

That's one BIG reason that women I talk to don't like 'guns' - it's not necessarily the noise and smoke and dangerous nature of them as everyone tends to assume - many women are turned off by the sarcastic and condescending attitude of many male gun owners. (More turned off by that, I'll bet, than by the occasional 'sexist' joke or risqué calendar on the wall they may encounter...)

Like Pete44ru said, we should ALL "act respectable", meaning to me several things:
  • 1. Make newbies feel welcome, even if they are asking annoying or silly questions.

2. When we do get into politics and so on, attack ideas and concepts - not individuals.

3. Respect the fact that some folks might fine something 'perfectly appropriate for wife and kids' so may post something you find offensive; unless you ARE the owner/host/moderator, try to keep from getting too bent out of shape over such things, and trying to get other users 'in trouble' unless a post is truly threatening or offensive.
If you ARE the owner/host/moderator, and something is offensive, let us know; that leads to
  • 4. Respect the desire of the forum owners/hosts/moderators to refrain from swearing or excessively risqué posts, and try to abide by their definitions of same, even if you disagree.
It ain't rocket science...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That's one BIG reason that women I talk to don't like 'guns' - it's not necessarily the noise and smoke and dangerous nature of them as everyone tends to assume - many women are turned off by the sarcastic and condescending attitude of many male gun owners. (More turned off by that, I'll bet, than by the occasional 'sexist' joke or risqué calendar on the wall they may encounter...)
That was my full intention of the picture, :lol:

Rudeness and insults are what shouldn`t be allowed on boards, plain and simple. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

This forum is no different than others in this respect: Someone will get a new-to-him pride and joy firearm and post it here, within 3 or 4 replies someone will be sure to tell him he vastly overpaid for the piece of junk, and why didn't he buy a ::::::: instead, what a dummy. Same with someone posting a nice group or score, wont be long until someone replies that HIS :::::: rifle will do that all day long in a howling wind.

Sad. :(
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

People take this medium way too seriously.

Nobody here pointing a gun at anyone else.

You don't like it, go on to the next thread, or get up and get a drink of water or something.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I can see the OP's point of view. I still come around to see if there's anything new to learn and occasionally it happens, but I figured out a while back that if you're not part of the clique, then you're pretty much ignored here. Unless you ask a "dumb" question. And you still won't get your answer.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Rudeness and insults are what shouldn`t be allowed on boards, plain and simple.
Not a bad way to go through LIFE, Pitchy - let alone message boards.

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

stretch wrote:
Rudeness and insults are what shouldn`t be allowed on boards, plain and simple.
Not a bad way to go through LIFE, Pitchy - let alone message boards.

-Stretch
I'll drink to that... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

44-40 Willy wrote:
I can see the OP's point of view. I still come around to see if there's anything new to learn and occasionally it happens, but I figured out a while back that if you're not part of the clique, then you're pretty much ignored here. Unless you ask a "dumb" question. And you still won't get your answer.

I, for one, am sorry you feel that way.........

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

44-40 Willy wrote:I still come around to see if there's anything new to learn and occasionally it happens, but I figured out a while back that if you're not part of the clique, then you're pretty much ignored here. Unless you ask a "dumb" question. And you still won't get your answer.
I think it is true that if you ask ANY question, that even if there are some snotty answers from a few, you WILL get some very kind and serious answers from the rest of us eventually, if it is something we actually know.

Don't let the gruff ones or folks who got up on the wrong side of the bed turn you off on the forum.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

I haven't been on here long but I've been on enough others over the years to know that most come from a completely different background and geographical location. You're going to get mixed responses and comments-that's just the way it is. When I was in the Army I had never been around anyone north of the Mason Dixon line and that was a real revelation to me. Hell, I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me but we ate, slept, drank and did everything together. After awhile you begin to understand the others and they you. I found most were pretty good guys and really don't recall any animosity at all. After basic, and we finished AIT training and went our separate ways we all said our goodbys and even corresponded later.

You're not going to get along with everyone all the time...ain't going to happen. I guess that's why I had five wives! They just couldn't get along. :mrgreen:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This place is civilized compared to a forum like AR15.com.

I wish this forum was a little more firearm related too, but I'm definitely happy it's not like the "love fest" over at Marlin Owners. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:This place is civilized compared to a forum like AR15.com.

I wish this forum was a little more firearm related too, but I'm definitely happy it's not like the "love fest" over at Marlin Owners. :wink:
Dude I used to post ALOT on MO !

There "are" some good folks over there and then there are those that think it's their way and NO OTHER !

Kinda like the original mod on the 444 forum from the Pacific Northwest and another little person from South Carolina !

Those two can go p...d sand as far as I'm concerned !

Hence I haven't set foot there in several years now !

There "were" four fellows there I enjoyed talking with ! Gunjunkie , Ranch Dog , LeverDude and Marlinman93 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

jumbeaux wrote:
We seem to have forgotten the openness/kindness that we once shared...after all we are suppose to be at least partially like minded members of a forum that enjoys the subject of lever guns...I will never achieve the 10,000 post count...I doubt I will ever make the 750 mark and I will never be a "clique member" but it does trouble me to see in-fighting and self destruction...

Only my two cents worth and not really worth that...

rick
Rick,

You bring up a great point. I also used to belong to the Old Marlin Forum and stopped visiting it for the very reasons you stated. It had more drama than a bunch of HS Girls. Thankfully the site members and moderators tend to keep this site in check a little better than other sites, but it is always good to have a post remind us to stay positive!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

44-40 Willy wrote:I can see the OP's point of view. I still come around to see if there's anything new to learn and occasionally it happens, but I figured out a while back that if you're not part of the clique, then you're pretty much ignored here. Unless you ask a "dumb" question. And you still won't get your answer.

Great point, I know I seen a recent post from a newbie that fell into this category. I started to respond, but I honestly did not feel like I knew the answer. I suppose that many others felt the same way and didn't respond for the same reason. However, the first response quickly chastised the individual telling him he needed to reword his question. The post had over 100 views before anyone made a comment, I would say we need a few more members on our hospitality committee!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, right now, before the rush starts; if I've bashed your Marlin, denigrated your Ruger, scoffed at your Henry, ridiculed your Winchester, implied your wife was homely, intimated your children would never amount to anything, or gave a smart-alecky(sp?) response to even the most inane query, please accept my humblest, if slightly insincere, apology. And if you had to rush off to the dictionary to look up a word or three... good; expansion of one's vocabulary is a "good thing" (as defined by a felonious former TV hostess). And if you didn't, I meekly apologize for not making this posting challenging enough!

And if you think I posted this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, you'd be w....right! Mostly because when I took leave of associating with Red Man, I took up a new affair with a couple, Romeo y Julieta, interspiced with an intermittant fling with Monte... Cristo; and I find the heat often goes out unless one pays contant attention. So I often find my tongue abiding there.

I know, thousands of underemployed conedians are out of work and, look who's trying to be funny. If I failed in my attempt at humor, then maybe you failed to see any prior attempt also. Laugh and the world will laugh with you, even if they don't quite get the joke. Frown and you exercise 32 muscles that could be put to better use, like masticating the poison in your soul.

I sincerely mean it when I recoginze a post from a newbie and post "...Welcome to THE Forum." Being away from home so much, this is like a surrogate family, we may not like each other all the time, and while some replies to pleas may be pro forma, there are many that truly take the pain of a brother levergunner to heart. While some speak their mind out of "tuff-love", that comes from the same well-spring of empathy.

On occasion, I've been tempted to tell some, if you can't step away from the bottle, step away from the keyboard, but then maybe I assume too much... (NOT)! To others, don't be so thin-skinned, it ain't like most of us haven't had a barb or a dozen slung in our direction before. Someone might be along to put a little salve on your wounds. Or not. As needed. I've seen some take up in defense of others, and unfortunately, some good men run off. Over such little, trivial squabbles such as politics, when in fact, neither was wholly "right"... however they may justify their actions to themselves. But such is family life.

Well, again I must apologize, because if you read this entire missive, then I have to say... "GET A LIFE!" :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: Those smilies are meant to convey that I'm teasin' and laughin' with/at/for ya... take yer pick.

I've had the real honor and pleasure to meet some of this nation's finest men who frequent this forum... (wish I could meet some of our brothers on the other side of either pond, for I'm sure I could include them)... men who may only be important to those that know them... but men of whom the rest of this nation could do no better than to heed them. I was complimented this past weekend, by one such... and am humbled that such a man would think so of me.

I do not mean to trivialize what I feel about the members of this forum. Each has a place in my heart.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Well, right now, before the rush starts; if I've bashed your Marlin, denigrated your Ruger, scoffed at your Henry, ridiculed your Winchester, implied your wife was homely, intimated your children would never amount to anything, or gave a smart-alecky(sp?) response to even the most inane query, please accept my humblest, if slightly insincere, apology. And if you had to rush off to the dictionary to look up a word or three... good; expansion of one's vocabulary is a "good thing" (as defined by a felonious former TV hostess). And if you didn't, I meekly apologize for not making this posting challenging enough!

And if you think I posted this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, you'd be w....right! Mostly because when I took leave of associating with Red Man, I took up a new affair with a couple, Romeo y Julieta, interspiced with an intermittant fling with Monte... Cristo; and I find the heat often goes out unless one pays contant attention. So I often find my tongue abiding there.

I know, thousands of underemployed conedians are out of work and, look who's trying to be funny. If I failed in my attempt at humor, then maybe you failed to see any prior attempt also. Laugh and the world will laugh with you, even if they don't quite get the joke. Frown and you exercise 32 muscles that could be put to better use, like masticating the poison in your soul.

I sincerely mean it when I recoginze a post from a newbie and post "...Welcome to THE Forum." Being away from home so much, this is like a surrogate family, we may not like each other all the time, and while some replies to pleas may be pro forma, there are many that truly take the pain of a brother levergunner to heart. While some speak their mind out of "tuff-love", that comes from the same well-spring of empathy.

On occasion, I've been tempted to tell some, if you can't step away from the bottle, step away from the keyboard, but then maybe I assume too much... (NOT)! To others, don't be so thin-skinned, it ain't like most of us haven't had a barb or a dozen slung in our direction before. Someone might be along to put a little salve on your wounds. Or not. As needed. I've seen some take up in defense of others, and unfortunately, some good men run off. Over such little, trivial squabbles such as politics, when in fact, neither was wholly "right"... however they may justify their actions to themselves. But such is family life.

Well, again I must apologize, because if you read this entire missive, then I have to say... "GET A LIFE!" :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: Those smilies are meant to convey that I'm teasin' and laughin' with/at/for ya... take yer pick.

I've had the real honor and pleasure to meet some of this nation's finest men who frequent this forum... (wish I could meet some of our brothers on the other side of either pond, for I'm sure I could include them)... men who may only be important to those that know them... but men of whom the rest of this nation could do no better than to heed them. I was complimented this past weekend, by one such... and am humbled that such a man would think so of me.

I do not mean to trivialize what I feel about the members of this forum. Each has a place in my heart.
I esteem most everyone here. ...it is, however, hard to look up at someone talking down to you.........I bow down to no one :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:Well, right now, before the rush starts; if I've bashed your Marlin, denigrated your Ruger, scoffed at your Henry, ridiculed your Winchester, implied your wife was homely, intimated your children would never amount to anything, or gave a smart-alecky(sp?) response to even the most inane query, please accept my humblest, if slightly insincere, apology. And if you had to rush off to the dictionary to look up a word or three... good; expansion of one's vocabulary is a "good thing" (as defined by a felonious former TV hostess). And if you didn't, I meekly apologize for not making this posting challenging enough!

I esteem most everyone here. ...it is, however, hard to look up at someone talking down to you.........I bow down to no one :P
If I came off like that, I didn't intend to... and include myself in those that need a little whippin' into shape every once in a while... but mainly, just describing how I feel about the fine folks on this forum... including yourself.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Big group hug.....That my comment followed yours was accidental...........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pitchy wrote:Rudeness and insults are what shouldn`t be allowed on boards, plain and simple. :)
Mar 25 wrote:... you can go to xxxx...
+1

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.