Walkie Talkies for Long Range Shooting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Walkie Talkies for Long Range Shooting?

Post by El Chivo »

I remember recently a thread about a system of cameras to monitor a target when shooting long range.

Ok that's complicated, expensive, and you might shoot your equipment. I was at the range yesterday and doing some long range shooting at metal swingers. I usually could not hear the clang (even with 200 grain bullets) although I could generally see the thing move a little. However 223 bullets don't move them. Some guys claim hits if they don't see dust; good for the ego but not a foolproof indicator.

So I was wishing the sound was louder, then I thought why not have a mic on it, and listen for the clang that way? A set of cheap walkie talkies would easily go a few hundred yards, there'd be no worry about cell phone towers. Perhaps you could hang one behind the target, so it wouldn't get shot. And other people could use it if they were tuned to the same channel on their own walkie talkie.

The other thing is, I think sound is enough for me, I wouldn't have to see it. Just after the shot, all I see is smoke anyway. Hearing the clang (half a second later) is just as good.

Now to look for a set that has an earpiece plug so I can slip an earpiece under my muffs.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Walkie Talkies for Long Range Shooting?

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:Now to look for a set that has an earpiece plug so I can slip an earpiece under my muffs.
My Howard Leight muffs are I think 28 dB muffs, and have an 'input jack' for just that purpose... Weren't very expensive, either.

You could dig just a small 'pit' near the gong too, and protect a walkie-talkie pretty well, if it's ok with the range owner.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's an interesting idea, but if you kept a cheap walkie-talkie (or even an expensive one) with a Hot Mike, the batteries are not going to last long.

Almost be easier/cheaper to use a pair of "unlimited minute" cell phones dialed to each other. At least you'd get a couple of hours of "talk time".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

At my long range club, we have a sensor attached to the back of the gong, and we have a strobe on a pole off to the side. When a bullet hits the gong, the strobe flashes so we know it was a hit.

Here is one:

http://flashtarget.com/store/

peizoelectric shock sensors are not expensive. I'll bet some people on this forum can come up with a home build target strobe setup easily enough. I have some out there for $400 including the whole target. I'll bet the component costs for the electronics and strobes are less than $50.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Don't they use walkie-talkies at the Quigley Match for that very reason?
And they're shooting the big stuff.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've been to long range matches where the scorer's are behind a berm and they DO have radios, but that's different from what's being suggested here... which is a way for the shooter to hear when the bullet hits the gong.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

At most of the "buffalo gong " matches they do use frs radios. The one at the target is equipped with a VOX mic so when the gong is struck it transmits back to the firing line/score keeper.
Here at home I use the Peltor electronic ear muffs and can hear hits on my steel target to 1000 yds with out much problem
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:At most of the "buffalo gong " matches they do use frs radios. The one at the target is equipped with a VOX mic so when the gong is struck it transmits back to the firing line/score keeper.
Here at home I use the Peltor electronic ear muffs and can hear hits on my steel target to 1000 yds with out much problem
Forgot about VOX mics...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yessir and some of them are more sensitive than others, they will key with the snap of the bullet passing by, even tho it was a miss. :| Windy conditions can sometimes keep the vox keyed and battery live goes down drastically..