Back Yard Targeting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Back Yard Targeting.

Post by Eye-Bite! »

So I finally got my NIB Browning 1886 out for a shake down for the first time. Loaded up some BHA Brass with CCI Primers behind 300 Grain Oregon Trail with 35 Grains of IMR-4198. Used a limb saver too! Recoil was manageable. Really wasn't out for the accuracy as much as the... well you know. Set rifle on top of Pillow from bed for cushion... (Wife's Side). Some of the backstop included Pine trees. Two Boolets went clean through 9" of a 31" Diameter tree! Wow! This is my first experience with the 45-70. Think I should download?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back Yard Targeting.

Post by Grizz »

I like the ear muffs protecting the tree's hearing. That is so thoughtful.

Oh, now you've done it. There are OODLES of bullets available and they all do exactly the same thing: they generate BIG smiles every time one goes down the bore.

so far I have not found one load that didn't cause smiling and sometimes outright laughter.

all my loads are downloads. I start with the mildest data I can find and never seem to require any more oomph. definite game getters regardless of configuration.

keep the reports coming

Grizz
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

quote: "......Used a limb saver too!....

trees also appreciate that ! having their limbs saved.
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a pretty mild load. My favorite handload is a 405 "whatever" with about 43-44 grains of H4198....it was chronyed at about 1700+ with a 26", and 1600+ with Guide Gun.....With that 12 pound Sharps, I might load it up a bit more and see what that 30" bbl will do.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

The Lie: I put the Ear Muffs on the tree to indicate the two exit holes above and below the muff.
The Truth: When a tree falls in the woods I didn't want the tree to know if it makes a noise or not.

The Limb Saver really works wonders! Shoulder is in great shape this morning.