Photobucket Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Photobucket Issues

Post by jkbrea »

Photobucket is driving me crazy. :x If this has already been addressed, I apologize.

Here is my problem. If I try to post a picture, it say photos cannot be more than 1000 pixels wide. OK, no problem. I go back to edit the photo and it has the dimensions on top. I change it to make sure the width is way less than 1000 and replace the original photo with the new dimensions. When I try to post it, it still has the same message of being more than 1000 pixels wide. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Photobucket Issues

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You have to SAVE the changes in PB. I had the same problem. After changing the picture`s size you must click on the save button. After clicking on apply a save button will come up. Click it. If you cant find it, PM me and I will try to help you sort it out. Chuck
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jkbrea wrote:Photobucket is driving me crazy. :x If this has already been addressed, I apologize.

Here is my problem. If I try to post a picture, it say photos cannot be more than 1000 pixels wide. OK, no problem. I go back to edit the photo and it has the dimensions on top. I change it to make sure the width is way less than 1000 and replace the original photo with the new dimensions. When I try to post it, it still has the same message of being more than 1000 pixels wide. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way?
The problem is is that Photobucket does NOT properly overwrite the original file - even when you tell it to.

When you edit a pic, you MUST save it with a different name and use the link to the new file.

Yes, it's a PITA, and you need to go back & delete the original file to eliminate duplicates, but it is what it is.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Photobucket is as much of a nuisance as Facebook & Yahoo! mail are: loaded with JAVA script & stuffing my computer with all sorts of ads & "convenience" features. Also, Photobucket has taken to hiding the true URL of your pictures, so that, when you post a picture on a forum, you are actually posting the photograph as a clickable link. Clicking that, in turn, causes one to go to that picture's album, once again, loaded with JAVA & "convenience" scripts. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I re size in PB all the time. Have no issues with it . You don`t have to do a bunch of deleting or renaming although that way does work. Why make it more complicated than need be.

Double click on the pic you want to change. Click on edit, click on re size, change to the size you want,click on apply,click on save. Works for me.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I re size in PB all the time. Have no issues with it . You don`t have to do a bunch of deleting or renaming although that way does work. Why make it more complicated than need be.

Double click on the pic you want to change. Click on edit, click on re size, change to the size you want,click on apply,click on save. Works for me.
That's the way it used to work for me too.

But recently I have had to resort to renaming because no matter how many times I try to save over the original file it doesn't "take" with the same link.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That IS strange. I just now changed one and changed it back. Wander what is up???
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's why I use the "direct link" and enclose it in the "Img" brackets on the forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Resize in the original source then send that to PB.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I re size in PB all the time. Have no issues with it . You don`t have to do a bunch of deleting or renaming although that way does work. Why make it more complicated than need be.

Thanks. I think I got it now. I was hitting "apply" but not "save". :oops:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Alright, this explains my explaination better than I can, from RimFire Central:
PhotoBucket Album Privacy Settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to be a situation with PhotoBucket that not all our members are aware of. RFC members should be aware of the "Public/Private" nature of using PB as a hosting service for pictures linked to RFC.

I am definitely not a computer guru. PhotoBucket keeps changing every time I get it about half way figured out. I believe the latest change was made around last January. It appears to me that they are trying to cash in on the "social networking" craze.

When opening a new PB account or creating a new subdirectory, the default appears to be "public". There is also a default user account setting that is set to "link back to album".

I have noticed when moving the pointer over an image posted on RFC that it turns to the pointing finger, indicating a clickable link. This means that the "link back to album" option in the PB user setting has been checked. Clicking on the photo displays the same picture in the user's PB account. It also exposes the user's directory path in the upper left corner. IF... the album is "public", clicking on the directory path reveals the user's entire PB account subdirectory. ALL albums not marked as "private" (indicated by an icon of a closed lock) can then be viewed by anyone.

I apologize if it appears that I'm snooping, but the same thing was happening to my own account until I caught on and reset the privacy tabs. Any member unaware of this may be unintentionally exposing personal pictures or information to the public.

I went to the help section (of PB) and read all the "self help" stuff to figure out what was going on with my own account. Here is what I did to make mine private.

There is more than one way to get the same results, but I'll tell you the easiest universal fix.

* Your account user name will display at the upper right of the initial screen.

* Click on your user name.

* Click on "user settings" on the drop down menu which appears.

* Click on the "Privacy" tab when the next page appears

* Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "make all private"

Click "save"

At this point the RFC photo is still linked back to PB, but the album is now private and no one can progress into your albums or into your main directory.

To prevent the link back (works for future uploads only):

Scroll back to the top of the page if previously clicking the "save" didn't take you there.

Click on the "Albums" tab.

Near the bottom Uncheck the "Link back to albums" box

Click save and you should be done.

This only stops the link back for future uploads to RFC, etc. The reason for this is that some sort of a code is imbedded in the previously uploaded pictures. You can (if you really want to) edit any post in RFC and delete the picture and re-upload with the new security settings. However, the "Private" setting should prevent leaving the one photo in PB and viewing the rest of your albums.

This is not intended as a PhotoBucket tutorial, but I should note that albums can individually be set to "public" or "private", as well as "password protected", in order to customize the users intended access to his PB account. Study the PB Help section for more guidance.

Hipshot
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

EXCELLENT, Hagler. Thank you!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Found a way to make PhotoBucket a bit more user-friendly (or less user-hostile, depending on your point of view).
  • Go to the "Slideshow" view (make it your saved link so you always start there), and you will see your photos scrolled across the bottom of the page (the "Ctrl -" key combination will shrink them and show more at a time, and one will be bigger and shown above the others).

By hitting the end-arrows on the scroll-bar below, you can quickly look through dozens upon dozens of your photos, then when you select one with a mouse-click, it will be shown above.

To select and post that photo, you can right-click on it, and select 'properties', then put your mouse on the 'http stuff' and do Ctrl-A to highlight it all, then Ctrl-C to copy it, then close the 'properties' window. When you are in this forum (or others), just click the 'Img' button, and the Ctrl-V to paste your photo in between the brackets that appear.
Seems a faster way to find and post a chosen photo than using their ponderous 'page' system.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where is the crossed eyes smilie?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Can the board alter its settings to accept a 1024 pic ?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

See if the standard resize, apply, replace. save works?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No visible means of support?
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have had the same issues, do I have to have and use Photo Bucket?
I have given up posting pictures.

Gordon