Have any ideas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Have any ideas?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wasn't sure where to post this, as it will cover "general", dip a little into "political", and probably end up as a "classified". Heck, if I croak while typing this, it could also go to "Memorials"!

Anyway, I attended an open house last week for Y2K's MCJROTC program at his high school. Y2K really likes JROTC, and loves the Marine Corp, so decided to continue on in the program. He'll only be able to do it one semester this year, due to his honors class load, but he's going to try to continue on through all of high school.

One of the things he likes best is that the program fields an air rifle team - a very successful one to boot.

However, due to budget constraints with the school district, the entire program stopped receiving funding a couple years ago (after having it cut each year since it started). Then this year, due to federal funding cuts, the Marine Corp itself had to stop all support. :( Heck, the guys running the MCJROTC program in Washington have been furloughed the last eight (8) Fridays - essentially having their already meager pay cut another 20%. Yet, somehow, we have money for Obamaphones, Obamacare, and jetting her highness around to exotic shopping trips and vacations. :evil: :evil: :evil: (that was obviously the political part).

So, the air rifle team now depends on donations of pellets to practice. The don't need match ammunition for practice - just any old .177-caliber target pellet. They have been trying to scrounge up donations from local sporting goods stores and such, with limited success.

So, I'd like to buy several thousand pellets to donate, and hopefully do it with some frequency. I want to make the most of what I can afford to do. Who has the rock-bottom best deals on pellets these days? I figured many of you probably augment your leveraction shooting with air rifle practice, so hopefully someone knows where the best deals can be found (now slipping into a "WTB" type post for the "classifieds" section).

Thanks!

YK
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Have any ideas?

Post by JerryB »

Jay, have you tried to contact any of the companies such as Daisy or Crossman?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Also consider a fundraiser like the "walkathons". . .

Kids could get people to pledge a nickel for every shot in the outer ring and a dollar for every x-ring, etc. You would bring in far more than the cost of the pellets. Might do it early if you have to, or if later on it would recoup the cost if you could get the pellets 'on loan'.

You could actually raise money for another cause in the process, which could generate some very good P.R. for the shooting program if the cause/charity were a popular one locally.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

harry wrote:Try these guys:
http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/177caliber.html

Or Wallys World
Heck, Wally World could use some good press, and their PR people would be stupid for not jumping at the chance to donate a palletload of pellets to a pro US, pro Kid, Pro School program...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Old Ironsights wrote:
harry wrote:Try these guys:
http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/177caliber.html

Or Wallys World
Heck, Wally World could use some good press, and their PR people would be stupid for not jumping at the chance to donate a palletload of pellets to a pro US, pro Kid, Pro School program...
Wallys in Rock Springs has been selling the 4H shooters in Big Piney and Pinedale clay birds at cost and donateing 1000.00 worth of shotgun shells every year.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Wal-mart--order online for store pick-up= no shipping $

Pyramid AIR has the Buy 3 get the fourth free but the shipping pretty much eliminates any real savings . Maybe a $500 order would be different?

Tell your story at the below forums, and I bet something good will happen.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... tion=forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The 1250 pellet packs for $13 look like a great deal.

I may have to buy some of those.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

They're made of lead, right?

Design some molds.

Collect some wheel weights.

Get a stove and a few old pans.

Cast some pellets for practice.

Use the store bought for competition.

Just an idea.

It would also incorporate the old Marine credo of "Adapt and Overcome". Ride to the sound of the guns.

Charity is for girl scouts. :wink:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

We've discussed casting Airgun Pellets over on Castboolits. The consensus of a few thousand years of casting experience is:

Utterly Impractical.

First, Pellets are Swaged, not cast. Casting grain weights that small, especially with the requisite hollow base, would be a nightmare.

AND, at the Retail cost of less than .01 a piece in bulk... you can't afford to cast them even if you could.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Old Ironsights wrote:We've discussed casting Airgun Pellets over on Castboolits. The consensus of a few thousand years of casting experience is:

Utterly Impractical.

First, Pellets are Swaged, not cast. Casting grain weights that small, especially with the requisite hollow base, would be a nightmare.

AND, at the Retail cost of less than .01 a piece in bulk... you can't afford to cast them even if you could.
Yeah, yeah... Life is hard, then pffft.

The man asked for suggestions, I offered one up. Apparently not an actual 'good one'.

Here's another couple:

1) Petiton the DHS. Explain how it's an all black or gay unit and they want to practice defending the homeland from constitutional extremist hetero-crackers.

2) Do it the American way. Stand with hands out and cry until people start coming across with free stuff. Increase the take by making a sign that says "Starving children in Syria need pellets."

3) Sell scalps.

4) Politely suggest that the kids parents fork over to support their own kids extracurricular activities.

Just thinkin' out loud...

:wink:

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Might be worth an email or call to the CMP. They list a three position JROTC match on the web site and used to sell air rifles for junior programs. I looked on the ammo sales page for fun but did not see any pellets listed.

Chris
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWiedner wrote:...
Yeah, yeah... Life is hard, then pffft.

The man asked for suggestions, I offered one up. Apparently not an actual 'good one'.
Nope. It wasn't. ;)
FWiedner wrote:...Here's another couple:...
4) Politely suggest that the kids parents fork over to support their own kids extracurricular activities.

Just thinkin' out loud...
And here I agree... especially if every parent forked over a measly $15 for 1250 pellets, ($13 plus a little for the Organization to have some back stock) they would have plenty.

OTOH, when it comes to stuff like REAL ammunition (like Unobtanium .22lr) sometimes these Orgs need additional help from people willing to sacrifice a little Stash to promote the Training...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I would try
1 the American Legion and VFW. Ask for a cash donation and if you can put a can in the bar.
2 all gun and sporting goods stores.
3 all of the local military recruiters.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Has anyone tried BB shot? You know, it's .177 cal. I bet it is a LOT cheaper than pellets. I realize that it's not as consistent as actual pellets, but trigger time is trigger time, it's eye-hand-muscle-memory stuff that counts, and seeing where the front sight is AT THE SHOT.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Tons of them for sale over on Amazon, looks like for less than 10 bucks per 500 you can get pretty good pellets.