First lesson on new to me 9422

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

First lesson on new to me 9422

Post by Canuck Bob »

My 9422 showed up today. It is clean and the metal is almost 95%.

The stock has been sanded in a proper fashion with what looks like 120 grit paper. The sanding marks follow the grain and a gentle finer grit sanding should fix it up. It appears to be an oiled finish.

The trigger is good, not match quality but proper weight with a tiny amount of creep.
The take-down function educated me on the cam pin so easily lost as warned here. In the future I'll not pull the two piece bolt for transport take-down.

The mag tube very easily falls out as also reported. I found a small o-ring that puts some pressure between mag cap and the rifles tube keeping the pin in the cut-out.

This action is so smooth!!! I've read were folks say the Browning and Henry are even smoother. It is hard to imagine they must be amazing. This is no clink clank 444 or 94.

The front sight is adjustable for elevation with two little screws. There is also a spot for a wedge elevator not there. Is an elevator adjuster standard? Other than that the rifle is complete including the front sight hood.

The rifle fits much more like my 94 than I expected. It is an adult sized rifle and fits nicely. A peep is in its near future for sure.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: First lesson on new to me 9422

Post by geobru »

Bob,
I'm sure you will like hat rifle. A year or so ago, I bought a 9422M. I liked it so much that I decided that I "had" to have one in 22 lr so I could afford to shoot it more. They are adult sized rifles and have a really nice feel to them when you shoulder it. I find that the 9422 is easier for me to hold steady offhand because of the heft it has.

I also have a Browning, and bought a Henry for my son in-law. I love my Browning, it's a really light weight, quick handling gun. The Browning action is different. All it takes is a flick of the fingers to reload, but the action requires a sharp lever throw in order to get the carrier to snap up to the chamber. I can't say that it is a smooth action, just different. YMMV IMHO, The 9422 and the Henry have smooooth actions.

My ONLY complaint about the Henry was the sights. They are not as fine as the Browning sights are. I got dime sized groups with the Browning, but quarter sized groups with the Henry. I didn't have the Winchester at that time, so I can't compare it to them. (yet! :twisted: ) After my SIL got the gun, the plastic front barrel band broke. A call to Henry and a new metal band and sight came in the mail at no charge.

I like all three of those rifles. Why? Because they are levers of course!!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

geobru wrote:I like all three of those rifles. Why? Because they are levers of course!!
You are preaching to the choir around here. I almost had a major brain short circuit and bought a bolt action. After handling this beauty I was relieved that I had a return to common sense just in time.

Thanks for the details on the different actions. I was looking at a 39A or Mountie as well but am happy I went for the 9422. It is hard to not sit back and admire the lines.

I must admit that I prefer the 336 action for a working hunting rifle in centerfire but the Winchester 94 just looks right and is some handy as the 9422 from that Winchester heritage.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I cannot believe that no one has chimed in with a "my 39 is better than any 9422" comment.
We must all be getting more tolerant in our old age.

By the way - I have some 39's, an 1897 and a 9422 and love them all.
Pop.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Hi Pop, I'm a bit jealous. You are heading into summer soon and we are heading into winter. We get some winter here.

At least here we debate the favored lever action. I'm so tired of the nonsense from other forums were one can't say anything positive about a lever or a 30-30!

I would have grabbed a Marlin in a heartbeat if the money was right. As it turned out a decent 9422 rifle at an affordable price happened along. Research had me convinced that if something I could be happy with came available with a $400 tag to not hesitate because it would be gone. It amazes me that these older lever action 22s are so treasured. It is one niche in our sport were the lever really shines still.

Now that the rifle is home I am glad fate intervened and I ended up with a Winchester. My 444 is retired and if I ever hunt again it will be a Win 94 32 Special. The 9422 is close enough to make it a training pair of rifles. That is why a d&t is going to be used so it will have the same receiver sight as the 94. I also found out I can't see the barrel sights well enough to hit anything small.

I took the time to shoulder both rifles side by side. Practicing my 94 for the cost of 22 ammo! That is a good deal.

Besides if it wasn't for guys like me who modify, dare I say bubba, a gun future working men would never afford some of these fine working mens rifles. Some guy drills a hole or refinishes a stock and I can afford a nice pre-64 94 or sweet early 9422. The folks with collectibles in mind have their values increased as the pool shrinks, a win win.