"Just how paranoid ARE you...???"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

"Just how paranoid ARE you...???"

Post by AJMD429 »

Another instance where the Scary Music wasn't heard...

• A woman who was sitting outside the back door of her suburban home, in broad daylight, suddenly sees several armed men vault over her privacy fence, and bolts for the house, but she's not quite fast enough, and within the next few minutes her husband and children are being beaten nearly to death while she's being both beaten and raped right in front of them.

So. . .
  • I wonder how many women, who would decide to sit out in their own backyard, reading or relaxing, would have a gun on their person...? I know a few who might, but - in their own suburban backyard...???

How many husbands or kids would be in the house when such an event happened, and have a gun on their person, which seems to be the only possible way this situation could have been stopped...? Again, I know a few who might, but not many.

Some of my friends tease me about being 'too paranoid', but I'll have to admit, I am not always as 'ready' as one would have to be to deal with such an awful situation (unfortunately, odds are if it happens, it won't be as I am heading out to the back pasture range to shoot a couple magazines out of my Mini-14... :| ).

This forum has people who live in big-city apartments, and remote rural ranches, and everything in between, and some who live in areas where one could tote an M1A when going out to check the mailbox and not attract attention, and some who live in areas with strict bans on carrying and even possession of anything 'too powerful'. Some places, if scum like these guys tried that kind of thing, they'd be shot to pieces before they got halfway across the yard, and likely triple-S'd or found a few years later accidentally fallen down some abandoned mine-shaft, but the frightening reality is that for even most of us 'gun' people, such an event would have a good chance of catching us in Cooper's "condition white", or perhaps "pale yellow" (condition yellow but-without-a-weapon).

Just something to think about - and remind your loved ones to think about. This was a real event, with tragic consequences for real human beings. The Scary Music only happens in movies and television; in the real world, trouble is just suddenly there, and it comes no more slowly or gently just because you happen to be in a place where you are 'statistically safer' than those scary and bad places other people live.

P.S. - if you think about it, the same thing can happen on a national/social scale, instead of just a home/family one; riots and chaos and large angry mobs of people are just a few meals away in most cities (or few days with the grid down or the banks closed). Then it likely isn't a matter of just rallying the other household members to fight some rape-gang, but a matter of rallying the other good and honest community members to protect entire communities; without any sort of structure or Civil Defense type planning, I doubt that would ever materialize in most communities rapidly enough to do any good... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Just how paranoid ARE you...???"

Post by Streetstar »

That's a horrible situation

In many many instances like this, it got initiated SOMEHOW --- hubby p-o'd somebody bad in one way or another ----

but if its just senseless violence, -- that's just sickening.

I have to admit that I am not that paranoid and have always felt pretty secure in my surroundings --- I definitely do not have a gun on me when I am on the back deck enjoying a cool one , -- unless I am admiring one of my Colts or something - and then it may not be loaded :shock:

Something or other is always in my pocket when I am going to or leaving my office in a downtown area, -- but home? - not really

I guess i'm a good target (as are many other people)
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:I guess i'm a good target (as are many other people)
Looks like you've got a fierce weapon there, actually...

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I tend to be fairly well provisioned with hardware, even in the yard. Having grizzlies, wolves, black bears, big cats and the occasional tourist in the neighborhood helps encourage awareness. The dog also is more aware of anything or body that comes around, usually before I am.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Why should I be paranoid? I carry a gun....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:Why should I be paranoid? I carry a gun....
Yeah, I titled the post with the phrase sometimes I hear people say to those who CCW, but it is funny - most CCW people don't "worry" about being attacked any more than someone who keeps an umbrella in their car "worries" about getting rained on. On the other hand, many of the anti-gun fools ARE paranoid, and worry that every person who CCW's will turn into a homicidal maniac the first time they are disrespected. :roll:

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Doc, I am not one to carry on my person in the yard, but I still have some defenses. Number one is a 100 pounds dobie, while not an end all be all ,he is a deterent sure enough, and he (I hope) gives me enough warning and handles the situation long enough to grab one of the guns stashed throughout the house. It's my plan and I pray I never have to see if it works. The 120 pound yellow lab is just cause their cute!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry, all the time. Sometimes it may be deep carry and not as quick to get at, but I always carry. I also always have a folding and EDFB on me. I'm also armed with the determination, will, and skills to use them. No guarantees, but I am ready as I can be. My family, not so much.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm with Fordwannabe, a Dobie, or Rottie will take care of most of the garbage your likely to encounter at home and will slow them down while you retreat to the gunsafe.
Here in Oz there are more and more cases were garbage is finding its way into homes while the occupants are inside and in increasing numbers of cases the results are not pretty, due largely to our draconian laws on self defense.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Zackly!! It's rare something is not in reach. ....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

do you have a link to that info Doc? I know a few folks who need to read it

in that scenario THERE IS NO TIME TO GET TO A GUN SAFE or a stashed gun

and that scenario is replaying over and over again

there is only one way to successfully deal with that scenario and

there is only one way to be that ready
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

NOBODY is ALWAYS prepared. In pubic, or past my driveway, I am in condition orange. (I don't know if that's a condition, it means I am aware of what's happening around me)

At home, I am relaxed and for anyone to approach the homestead, they have to cross at least 100 yards of open space from any angle and that's why I have near a dozen dogs. Not even a mouse can sneak up around here, even at night.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Elmer Keith wrote; "when You "need" a Gun You need it badly. As I related here some time ago My Sister was paid a visit by a couple of long haired sleezballs when She was home alone. they jumped on the back porch and tried the back storm door just as She grabbed Her revolver in the kitchen.
Her 120lb Rottweiler "Angel" let them know She wasn't alone, and saved Her from a very nasty confrontation. they left. I would consider myself pretty paranoid. :shock: .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Being cognizant of, and prepared for, 'the possibilities' is not paranoia.

Dropping your guard always invites geting punched.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Buck said all I have to say about it. If I am not carry at home there is one in reach anyplace I or my wife happen to be, outside, on me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If I'm out of the house I have a handgun in my pocket/ belt and a 12 gage in the truck.

Since the junkie/dealer next door ( they have them in nice neighborhoods too) got locked up for a good stretch this time,
I usually have a mouse gun in my pocket when I'm doing yard work. There were days when I'd walk around the back yard with an AR or if I was in a really obnoxious mood an SVT 40 or M1A!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

agreed. pretty much no time i am without one. we were walking around at our place out in the valley with a friend, who suddenly realized we were getting into the woods in bear country - the friend said to her, 'gosh, maybe we should have a gun with us ' ; my wife's reply was that there is just about no time ever that cable doesnt have a gun on him or within reach, usually several.. she was right, i had two with me that time. my wife usually has a firearm on her or within hands reach as well.

i live in a state where you can carry and cant think of why i wouldnt [ for that matter, long ago when i lived where you couldnt legally, i just did it anyway , preferring the risk of that to the other risks]
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and as of sept 18, this year, we can legally carry automatic knives, i.e.'switchblades'. not a substitute for a gun, but just fun, and convenient to use. so today i have my pocket pistol and a swithcblade on me, and several other 'items' in my truck.
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:do you have a link to that info Doc? I know a few folks who need to read it.
Not yet, as it is something I only know through friends of the victims, and it likely won't be "in the news" until there (hopefully) are some arrests. I don't get the newspapers for that city, but will probably hear more about it, especially if/when there are some arrests. There are some reasons to think that will happen fairly soon, too. If anything 'public' comes out I will certainly post an update. Of course though 'non-degrading' things like burglaries and ordinary robberies or even assaults are often pretty public, I wouldn't be surprised if the family in this case chooses to remain relatively anonymous.

I hope they catch the perpetrators, and better yet, that after conviction, they are en route to some prison, and 'accidentally' escape (get turned loose) somewhere where there is a 'training exercise' going on for a sheriff's department or some majorly-redneck rural 'militia' group, and they run across the line-of-fire. It would save the taxpayers housing the vermin for the next few decades.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote:
Grizz wrote:do you have a link to that info Doc? I know a few folks who need to read it.
Not yet, as it is something I only know through friends of the victims, and it likely won't be "in the news" until there (hopefully) are some arrests. I don't get the newspapers for that city, but will probably hear more about it, especially if/when there are some arrests. There are some reasons to think that will happen fairly soon, too. If anything 'public' comes out I will certainly post an update. Of course though 'non-degrading' things like burglaries and ordinary robberies or even assaults are often pretty public, I wouldn't be surprised if the family in this case chooses to remain relatively anonymous.

I hope they catch the perpetrators, and better yet, that after conviction, they are en route to some prison, and 'accidentally' escape (get turned loose) somewhere where there is a 'training exercise' going on for a sheriff's department or some majorly-redneck rural 'militia' group, and they run across the line-of-fire. It would save the taxpayers housing the vermin for the next few decades.

yes, +++1 !!
cable
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

If I am out of bed and not in the shower, I have a pistol on my body. It doesn't guarantee safety, but it is likely to give me a fighting chance, which is all we can expect. to have. I have a rifle for self defense in the house and one for bear, but if you don'thave one on your body, chances are that you may not get to one in time.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:I guess i'm a good target (as are many other people)
Looks like you've got a fierce weapon there, actually...

Thanks Doc ! I needed to smile today !
----- Doug
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I will have to admit that I only CCW occasionally, even after having a couple of close encounters with 4-leggers.
I guess that I'm hoping that if the stuff hits the fan, it will happen far enough away to give me time to prepare.

Jack
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

7.62 Precision wrote:If I am out of bed and not in the shower, I have a pistol on my body. It doesn't guarantee safety, but it is likely to give me a fighting chance, which is all we can expect. to have. I have a rifle for self defense in the house and one for bear, but if you don'thave one on your body, chances are that you may not get to one in time.
exactly

when I am in the shower the gun is under the towel

when seconds count it's not good if the gun is yards away
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote: when I am in the shower the gun is under the towel

when seconds count it's not good if the gun is yards away
If it isn't under the towel or something, it rusts. That's where mine stays, too.

I know many people who walk in the door, take their pistol off, and place it up on a closet shelf, in a gun safe, on a nightstand, ore somewhere, where it stays until they leave the house again. How many times to we read about people who are held at gunpoint, tied up, retrained, beat up, whatever, and then broke away somehow to get to their guns? How many do we not read about who never could get to their guns?

Home invasions are among the fastest growing type of crime in the US and many other parts of the world. Carrying a gun in the home is no more paranoid than wearing seatbelts in the car.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

In my line of work I carry pepper spray. Primarily this is for the occasional aggressive dog. The only time I had to use it I was confronted by a dog who clearly had bad intentions toward me. By the time I retrieved the spray from the belt holster I was bitten and the dog made it safely away. Now, besides the pepper spray, I carry dog biscuits.
Happy Trails!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

roundup wrote:Now, besides the pepper spray, I carry dog biscuits.
Reminds me of Massad Ayoob's comment in his 'Gravest Extreme' book, that he advises one can carry a $20 bill wrapped around a pack of matches, ready to toss it to some punk wanna-be who tries to start trouble, say "Hey, sorry man - buy the guys a round on me...", but that if they still want trouble, he backs it up with a gun, saying "Your choice - do you want to call your lawyer from the police station, or the emergency room...?"

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It never hurts to have a dog that will bark at strangers. I have a Chihueenie and she is quiet most of the time. If anyone who she doesn't know comes close, fence, front door, yard, whatever, she makes lots of noise and wants to attack. The noise is the Chihuahua and the attack is the Dachshund part of her. You aren't coming in to my house without her making noise, and that is enough for me to have a firearm in hand when I check out what is bothering her. I'm not paranoid, not even a noid paired with something else, but I am practical. Home invasion robberies are an unfortunate fact of life in today's world, and people have got the wrong house more than once. Oh, don't think someone will just kick or shoot the little dog. The big dog is not a barker, but she has been known to pop her teeth when she doesn't know you. At night, you might be dealing with the little noisy one and the big quiet one will sink teeth in you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

I now live in one of those areas that I could walk to my mail box (1/2 mile) with a rifle and not only would no one notice... probably not one person would see me.

But after 22yrs of police work..... I've learned that victims are victims because they were not prepared or not willing.....

100% of home invasions happen in the home.... no matter where they occur. If I'm awake there is a handgun on my person or within arms length away.... if I'm moving to get a firearm, it not because I don't have one on me... just getting a better one (rifle/shotgun) to be more efficent.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I am not paranoid at all, which means I don't think there are people out there actively seeking to harm me. But, like everybody else I might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or my home might be selected at random or by mistake by some pendejo violence on his mind.

I have a firearm within arms reach at all times, in the house, in the yard, in the truck or on my person going about my business. If and when I need one, nothing else will substitute.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

MikeNV wrote:
victims are victims because they were not prepared or not willing.....

100% of home invasions happen in the home.... no matter where they occur. If I'm awake there is a handgun on my person or within arms length away.... if I'm moving to get a firearm, it not because I don't have one on me... just getting a better one (rifle/shotgun) to be more efficent.
Amen! If I'm not going to or coming from the federal installation where I work, I have a pistol and a knife on me. Not near me, on me. All it takes is one time being caught unprepared, and your loved one and you could have your life altered or ended. That is something I'm not willing to allow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now after reading all these comments, I've concluded:

1) I'm not as abnormal as I thought (I stick a gun in my pocket even if I'm just going out to feed the chickens - not so much because I fear something happening, but really just because I hope some dead LibTard up in heaven will be watching me and wet his panties because he sees me doing that :twisted: ).

2) There really ARE two kinds of people in the world. NOT black and white, or male and female, or rich and poor, or educated and uneducated, or even rural and urban - - - the two kinds are ones who think/adapt/anticipate, and are smart (even if 'uneducated'), and willing to take responsibility for their own actions, and value human life to the point of being willing to be 'politically-incorrect' to protect theirs or other people's lives - and the ones who are unthinking, can't or won't adapt or anticipate anything the 'authorities' don't tell them to do, and are so stupid (even if 'educated') that they are willing to sacrifice their life (or worse - other people's lives) in order to stay safely politically-correct.

If that second group ever read a thread like this or overheard a discussion like this, they would indeed wet themselves.

I'm glad to associate with 'levergunners', because they seem to be the smart ones.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I seem to meet people from the second group far too often!... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.