OT: Gun Smith Woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Gun Smith Woes

Post by HEAD0001 »

I dropped a new Remington LH model 700VSF off at a gunsmith in October for a new rebarrel. We ordered a new Krieger barrel. Krieger said it would take three months to get the barrel. I left the 700 with the gunsmith., He said he would do all the action work while we waited on the barrel. I talked to him a couple of weeks before we received the barrel(first of January). I asked if the action was finished, his answer was "Is the barrel here yet". He told me that in an agitated tone-as if why would I have the nerve to ask him that. I just shrugged it off. He told me that he would prefer that I order the scope base-then bring the base to him-I agreed to do so.

We have had the barrel for almost two months now. I e-mailed him Tuesday to ask about the progress, and was he ready for the scope base?? He blew up on me. He said that he refused to be rushed!! He told me that he would not finish the job under pressure and that I was to come and pick up my parts!! I e-mailed him back to tell him that I was not trying to rush him, but I would like to have my rifle as soon as possible, and when should I bring him the scope base. He again said to come and pick up my parts!!

I gave this guy a $400 deposit. When I went to pick up my stuff he did not even have the action done yet(was suppose to be done in January). He had my action in over a dozen pieces, in a cardboard box, and scratched up!! Can you believe that. He said he did $375 worth of work and gave me back $25.

I took this guy a brand new 700 Remington, and I got back a box of parts. I was going to allow him to just give me my $400 back and I was going to drop it. But this guy ****** me off. I have decided to take him to court. He is the one that breached the contract. I am going to sue him for the $400 plus a new Remington 700-I will give him back his box of parts.

Am I wrong about this?? Tom.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Nope.
Time for small claims court. Just have all of your facts clear on paper and in your head, especially the dates, as well as your canceled checks and e-mails.
Good luck, the guy sounds like a winner.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep Tom, I'd say you're on the right road. Since you have the parts back now you might try to write him a letter with return receipt requested and tell him what you're after. If he refuses go to court get the papers fill everything out then send him copies of everything to show him you're serious, if he still refuses to comply file the papers. That will show the judge you made every effort to let him make things right before you ended up in court.
After you win in court if he refuses to give you the money and you file a judgment you can then bring ATF down on him as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Why do people in business do this? I have a small oil company, I sell Conoco and Chevron stuff, some Mobil and a little Shell product too. I care for my customers needs, I want them to tell others about service and delivery being good. This poop head gun smith is in the wrong business, he ought to go to China or Russia and see how he gets along. One day, someone will slap him silly and get his money back the hard way.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Pieces

Post by HEAD0001 »

I do not even know if I have all the pieces to the action. There are over a dozen pieces in a cardboard box!! He did not even have the courtesy to put the action back together. He even scratched up the action. I do not think I want to settle with him out of court. I think I want to see him in court. Tom.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

homefront wrote:Nope.
Time for small claims court. Just have all of your facts clear on paper and in your head, especially the dates, as well as your canceled checks and e-mails.
Good luck, the guy sounds like a winner.
Document, document, document.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Not in my opinion....a gunsmith is a professional and he should know enough about his vocation to resposibly quote time and price for the work he is being contracted for.

If anyone took their truck into a body shop for a paint job and to have a some fog lights added and this or that and got treated this way they would be upset off.

Whats the difference?

I have off and on dealt with alocal gunsmith here named Dick Williams and after reading some of these stories I am so appreciative of the fact that Dick and his son have always been up front and cooperative. They may not have the 'flair' of the big name gunsmith operations but they get it done right, on time, and for the price quoted. That is enough for me.

Wm
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You are doing exactly what I would. as others said have all dates and documents ready and take the parts or if the court won't let You, alot of clear pictures. Good Luck. Jim.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Make sure you're polite and professional in your letter to him.

Send it registered - it ALWAYS gets folks' attention, and it
shows the court you were seriously trying to resolve the dispute.
And like the other fellas said - it document, documents
documents. Good Luck
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Remember that this is business. Keep your letter strictly factual, without any emotion. If and when it gets to court the judge isn't going to care about anything either, but the facts.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

burn him.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

jdad wrote:Remember that this is business. Keep your letter strictly factual, without any emotion. If and when it gets to court the judge isn't going to care about anything either, but the facts.
Yep, stick to the facts....I have been considering sending a rifle to Simmions Guns in Kansas, but after reading some of the experiences you Gentlemen have had, I am reluctant. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Semper Fi
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I feel your pain! I would do exactly what your doing. Cant imagine getting a gun back in parts and have the A##hole have the nerve to expect me to pay money as well. Best of luck with your suite. Hopefully we can get rid of a few of these guys that cant provide reputable service.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a jerk. Make it as hard on him as you can.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Document eveything in hand written notes right away! Don't lt any of the dates or emails, phone calls, conversations go. Make sure you write it all down, and try to put dates and times to each one!
Make sure you take pictures o this box of parts as it is now. Spread it all out on a sheet or cloth to take pictures, and then date those also.
Once you've got everything together, then sit down and write him a letter stating exact facts, and hat you are requesting your money back. Don't warn him, or theaten to sue him. Wait until he replies to your letter, and if he wont make things right, then file suit. Don't give hime the advantage of a warning that you'll sue, or he'll be able to get his ducks lined up too!
What he did was not only unprofessional, it was rude, and obnoxious. He should be taught a lesson.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

Another gunsmith wannabee screwing someone over... as if he's Rembrandt or Michelangelo refusing to be rushed.

I would document everything to the letter as objectively as possible and remain as polite as possible at every turn... ask for your money to be returned and await his predictable answer.

Then run him through court, and when you get your judgment make sure you notify all the credit reporting agencies.

He will probably never repay you, he sounds like a real horse's a**, but you can renew your claim forever, presuming you prevail in court.

But I would definitely take his unskilled kitchen-table-gunsmith wannabee’s butt to court and I would post his name and your story on every discussion board in the universe.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I don't believe in the "will not be rushed" thing. I work hard, I produce a lot of good work, and every bit of it is under tremendous time pressure.

I know that big name gunsmiths usually have a big waiting list, but they have a lot of business too, and they do produce.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

You left out one thing about your lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!! $1,000.000 for aggrivation!!!!!!!!!!!!!Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!