New, tiny little woods-walking levergun marketed. . . (not)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

New, tiny little woods-walking levergun marketed. . . (not)

Post by AJMD429 »

Just getting Sixgun's wonderful little Remington Model 25, and handling it, got me thinking a 'bad' thing, and a 'good' thing...

The bad thing... taking a hacksaw to it, and cutting to 16-1/2" and shortening the magazine tube. :o
  • I'd never do that to a 'collectable' gun, but still can't help thinking how nice it would be; one of the reasons I never liked the Marlin 39A is that it is just too long and skinny and ungainly for what could otherwise be a nice little carbine.
The good thing... winning the lottery, and starting a gun company, and making my own levergun. 8)
  • It would be a scaled-down Marlin 1894 or Winchester 1892, specifically for the 32-20. Kind of like Bighorn Armory's scaled-up 1886 (sort of) design for the 500 S&W.
I really like the little Marlin 1984's in 357 Mag, but the Rossi 92 I have (16") is even 'handier' and makes a sweet totin'-gun for woods-walking. But one in 32-20 could even be MORE petite, and I would really like that.

The little Remington 25 is very cool, though, even if it IS sort of long and 'spindly'... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New, tiny little woods-walking levergun marketed. . . (n

Post by msmith1228 »

They made a carbine too.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

38 Special 8) MoBetta....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

msmith1228 wrote:They made a carbine too.
Yea Doc, But you have to have a doctors salary to afford one of these carbines. :D They bring some serious money. :D

I see no reason why you could not do it to yours. It's not exactly collector status

Beings that it will most likely stay in your family, go ahead. Do some research on the original carbines to see what differences there are. I'm guessing they were 20 in. , but make yours 16.5 . That would be the ultimate woods loafing rifle. You will never get any kind of a levergun to be that small.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image YOU know better! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Image YOU know better! :lol: :lol:
Pics already on another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50545

So here's a photo-edited 'youth carbine' version. . . :wink:

I'd probably shorten the stock, as well, if I really were going to all the trouble - but I really like it as-is.

I just want to win the lottery and start my own gun-company... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I really would like a Rossi M92 in .327 Federal. It is very much the same ballistics as a .32-20, but the .327 is easy to reload with its straight wall case. That in a 16 inch barrel carbine paired with a revolver in the same caliber would be great for most anything up to stopping a bear attack. It might even do that, but I would not want to prove it in a close range situation. The lead 115 grain bullets for the .32-20 are great in the .327 using (If I remember correctly) about 5.3 grains of Universal. That little case does not hold much and this is one of the few things I load for that I weigh to the 1/10th of a grain.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 -- i think i would keep it original, really neat looking rifle...BUT with that said, i definitely can see why you would want to reduce it...many older guns have been altered to suit the "end-user" (really like the youth model too)...i also am a big fan of trapper style leverguns, love the handiness, my Henry 22 has the 16" bbl., and i'm presently looking for a older volunteer Marlin 336 (Glenfield) to turn into a trapper...so in the end my comments are conflicted...ok, if it were me i would turn mine into the youth size... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hey, Doc - What about a pump-action single-shot Rook Rifle ?

This one's a .297 (.30cal) on a Comblaine-type action.

http://www.micksguns.com/rook%20&%20rabbit%20rifles.htm

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The IMI Timberwolf in 357 magnum came pretty close to being an ideal woods rifle size and weight wise.

For a woods-walkin' gun I'm pretty happy with "Shorty" my bobbed 16.25" 3 lb. Rossi model R357S single shot trapper.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
wow...I always and I mean always wanted one of those...only seen one once... :)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, I'd say leave it alone. I know it has no "collector's value", but it's still a neat old gun. If it were me and wanted a "woods gun", I'd look around for a gun that fit my needs and ain't a classic, like a 16 1/2" Mod 92 clone or the like. There's sumpin about old guns...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I think he should cut it down on both ends and send me the tang sight that he will no longer need.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree AJ, it is clearly too big for Indiana - send it here - I found two boxes of ammo and have a S&W tucked away for the same cal ee brae. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:Well, I'd say leave it alone. I know it has no "collector's value", but it's still a neat old gun. If it were me and wanted a "woods gun", I'd look around for a gun that fit my needs and ain't a classic, like a 16 1/2" Mod 92 clone or the like. There's sumpin about old guns...
That's the plan, actually. . .

. . . but it would be cool to have a SHORT and petite 32-20 levergun (or pump).

Even a Rossi 92-sized one would be nice - the 16" ones they make are sure handy...!

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

To AJMD429:: back in the early 1960's the gun shop I spent a lot of time in started converting Winchester 1892 small actions to .357 mags. and the large actions to .44mag and .45 Colt. Why can't it be reversed now and make a 32-20 out of a .357????? Like some folks say, Just saying.........

Reckon Steve would know if it is feasible.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Hey, Doc - What about a pump-action single-shot Rook Rifle ?

This one's a .297 (.30cal) on a Comblaine-type action.

http://www.micksguns.com/rook%20&%20rabbit%20rifles.htm

OMG :shock: That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Mainehunter :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JerryB wrote:To AJMD429:: back in the early 1960's the gun shop I spent a lot of time in started converting Winchester 1892 small actions to .357 mags. and the large actions to .44mag and .45 Colt. Why can't it be reversed now and make a 32-20 out of a .357????? Like some folks say, Just saying.........

Reckon Steve would know if it is feasible.
That sounds reasonable...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:To AJMD429:: back in the early 1960's the gun shop I spent a lot of time in started converting Winchester 1892 small actions to .357 mags. and the large actions to .44mag and .45 Colt. Why can't it be reversed now and make a 32-20 out of a .357????? Like some folks say, Just saying.
True, but I can just use a regular 16" Rossi 92 in 357 Mag light-loaded for the purpose; what I'd really like is an even MORE petite one to take advantage of the smaller and lower-pressure round.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well doc, sounds like you want your Kate and Edith too. Are there any smaller actions around right now other than the small singleshots like a .310 Martini or something similar????? How about an original Winchester 92. My 1917 rifle seems to be a little slimmer feeling than my Rossi .357.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Convert a Model 39 to centerfire?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a can of worms you opened up. My thought is you could have chambered for a 218 Bee and have a full power load for varmints up to 250 yards and work up a 15-1600fps cast load that's shoot to the same impact to 50 yards or so for edible game. Then find a mouse fanny burp load for 20 yards or less for garden patrol. Yep you opened up a mess of worms (thoughts). :P :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

3leggedturtle wrote:What a can of worms you opened up. My thought is you could have chambered for a 218 Bee and have a full power load for varmints up to 250 yards and work up a 15-1600fps cast load that's shoot to the same impact to 50 yards or so for edible game. Then find a mouse fanny burp load for 20 yards or less for garden patrol. Yep you opened up a mess of worms (thoughts). :P :mrgreen:
Well, Freedom Arms came out with the ultra-powerful revolvers in 444 Marlin and so on way back when, then went to the other end of the scale and made 17 HMR ones as well.

Maybe Bighorn Armory would do the same thing, since they make a 500 S&W levergun; with that scaled up 1886'ish action, and a scaled down 92'ish action for the 32-20/25-20/218 Bee series, you'd have two leverguns that between them would cover everything from squirrels to elephants.