Range Day - (with pictures) - So it DID Happen!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Range Day - (with pictures) - So it DID Happen!

Post by Griff »

I was going to post this on another thread... but can't find it, don't remember the title, or who started it... but in follow-thru, 4-½ .45Colt rifles, with barrels from 17" to 24-¼", with stops at 20" and 24" in between. The rifles were: 1894 Marlin with .45Colt Cowboy barrel cut to 17", an EMF Rossi 20" Short rifle, a Browning 1885 24", and a pair of Ubertis both with 24-¼" barrels, an 1860 Henry and 1873.

The rifles:

The setting: (Rancho del Krodle)
Yes, if you're going to be out in the sunshine on day in the low 80's, it's VERY nice to have some shade. I KNOW if kept some of the "red" off my neck! Rickey, don't let me forget it again!

Anyway, on to the results... they were VERY, very surprising... nothing that I expected. The ammo, .45Colt cases ( a variety of manufacturers were represented... To have been more scientific, I should have segregated ammo by case mfg'r. All bullets were 200 grain RFN, .452. Powder (for the most part), was Clays, 5 grains... but that ammo can also held some loads with RedDot, but should have been an equivalent loading... This was the left over rifle ammo from my son's & I excursion a coupla weeks ago to the Texas State Wild Bunch Championship! In chronographing the rounds for match qualifying, they only took one round, and if it passed the minimum power factor (150), then they didn't test any more. With the 200 grain pills ammo only needs to be 750fps to make the 150 power factor. As you'll see, mine did this.

Thanks RKrodle for the SD formula. So if there's any problem there... blame Rickey... the Ave. Velocity is mine own fault.

What I found interesting was the apparent sameness of the data from one rifle to the next... except for that little 1894 Marlin Cowboy! Either it just didn't get ANY of the low-speed ammo, or it's a little tighter chamber than the others. None of the loads or rifles were shot for group or to adjust POA or POI. Most shot "high" above POA. What I observed of group sizes (50 yard targets), is that they were between 2-3 inches. And all but the 1894 Marlin had a flyer or two! Go figure! It also has a rather large round bead front sight, which just obscured the entire bull of its target. (All five rifles were shot at individual targets, all of the same pattern). (I'd post pictures of the targets... but before I thought to take one, we'd taped new targets over those to sight in the new .223. Different subject, and will get its own post)! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Range Day - (with pictures) - So it DID Happen!

Post by RKrodle »

Looks like ya'll had a good time, wish I could of been there. Fell free to leave any of those rifle's laying around out there, I'll be more then happy to give them a nice home!!!!
Ricky

DWWC
t1nm4n
Levergunner

Post by t1nm4n »

Don't forget to thank the person responsible for the spiffy chrono you got to shoot through... Good thing you didn't actually shoot "through" it. A nicer day couldn't of been had to hang out with the old man and enjoy pulling the trigger.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:Looks like ya'll had a good time, wish I could of been there. Fell free to leave any of those rifle's laying around out there, I'll be more then happy to give them a nice home!!!!
Wished ya coulda been there also. I think I'll try to remember what rifles I bring, just so some don't find another home! The best part may've been getting dinner bought at our favorite local cajun eatery! When the kid pops for dinner, you DON'T wanna miss that!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
t1nm4n
Levergunner

Post by t1nm4n »

Only cause I'm an attention hog :mrgreen: Who was kind enough to let you shoot through that nifty looking chrono?

RKrodle thanks for letting us use the place for the afternoon, couldn't have been a better day to spend with my father pullin the trigger and picking up brass in the grass, tham ants like the shiny too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I love Range Reports - thanks for posting...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

AJMD429 wrote:I love Range Reports - thanks for posting...
Heck yea. green with envy. :mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

t1nm4n wrote:Don't forget to thank the person responsible for the spiffy chrono you got to shoot through... Good thing you didn't actually shoot "through" it. A nicer day couldn't of been had to hang out with the old man and enjoy pulling the trigger.
Yep, it WAS a Great day, made all the better by the weather and company. And yes, while you know I've talked about buying a chronograph for years, other'n "shopping" I'd not taken a single step toward buying one. So yes, thanks for bringing it with and helping collect this data.

You know of course, that I wouldn't have thrown you under the bus if you'd have read the instructions on how to operate it to its full potential, instead've using the real man method of experimentin' till ya figure it out! :P Mighta saved us some time we coulda been shootin'! :twisted: :twisted:

Oh yeah, Welcome to THE Forum. And please heed the complicated and inviolate rules:
This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.
and, while we're on the subject of rules, you've already broken one of the most important ones:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Howdy
That sun shade would be a very nice help.
Barrel friction. The light weight fast powder behind a 250 grainer was consumed and loosing pressure possibly after the first 12 inches. Those longer barrels represent more drag on the bullets.
Now had that load been a slow burning powder like 2400 or 5744 or even 3F I bet you would have seen the dirrect opposite.
Hard to beat a day outside with some 45 Colts !
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

missionary5155 wrote:Howdy
That sun shade would be a very nice help.
Barrel friction. The light weight fast powder behind a 250 grainer was consumed and loosing pressure possibly after the first 12 inches. Those longer barrels represent more drag on the bullets.
Now had that load been a slow burning powder like 2400 or 5744 or even 3F I bet you would have seen the dirrect opposite.
Hard to beat a day outside with some 45 Colts !
Mike in Peru
Yep, being as both my son & I are fair-skinned redheads (well, ok, but I used to be!), the shade was great!

The son & I were discussing just very thing last night. I hadn't thoughty of 5744, but since I have most of an 8lb jug, I'll have to try that. I'm relunctant to run BP across a chronograph...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When chronoing black I try to set up at 10 feet and hope for a cross wind or at least a breeze. If you can make all this happen it'll work fine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks like a fun day for sure.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:I love Range Reports - thanks for posting...
+1 Me too - but they normally make me so jealous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Who brought the chronograph? :) :?: :?: :?: :?:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Who brought the chronograph? :) :?: :?: :?: :?:
HE did! I'm was still shoppin'! But, if you want somethin' chrono'd, send me the data and I'll get 'er done!!!! If I have that type of gun... and components to make ammo that caliber... :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!