Lyman Lube sizer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Lyman Lube sizer

Post by pwl44m »

At least I think it is a Lyman. There is a piece of a tag on it but totally inconclusive of a manufacture. It is orange in color so I am assuming Lyman. I have no idea what model it is but the dies look like what is offered for sale at various retailers. The only difference I see is that the dies I see for sale have an O-ring at the top and Mine does not. I am posting some pics for reference and identification. If Someone can tell Me what model it is and if all the dies are the same it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to order $50 worth of parts and have them not work. I also need a top punch as the one in the press is for round note and the bullets that I want to resize are flat nose.
I am a total Novice at sizing and operations of that nature. But I would like to get into Casting and the such as there may come the day when that is the only option if We are going to shoot.
I did determine that the die in the press is 358. A simple cleanup revealed that plus a mold that came with the trade is a 358 casting a 235 bullet. Might be handy to have those.
The little pot that came in the trade is Cute-no other word to describe it, plus the little dipper with a pour spout.
Anyhow by looking at the pics is the Lyman complete ?
enough rambling, on with the show
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Lyman Lube sizer

Post by Griff »

The groove at the top of the die is for an o-ring. Just missing. I'd guess Lyman from the color also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My 358432 is a 148 grain wadcutter.
That's a Lyman 45 and if it's not cracked, will serve you well. The Lyman and RCBS dies will work fine in it. Unless the thin groove in the very top edge of the die is so caked with lube that I can't see it, that's an older Lyman die that does not take the O-ring. Boil it all to remove the old lube and start over. Any lube with a hole in the middle will work, or you can pour melted right in there. I like LBT Blue Soft to buy and also the 50/50 beeswax/Alox 2138F home made mix. A hard lube might be too stressful on the old 45, but a 100w lightbulb will warm it if that's all you have. I can send you a bit of 50/50 if you decide that's what you want.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Tycer, the reservoir is empty but I got a stick in the deal. There is only one groove and it seems that is where the set screw goes. I'm wondering about the new dies I see with an o-ring and an empty groove. U mentioned a crack, where would that be ?
I will sort this out and shoot that Rifle.
Perry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

They can crack where the set screw for the die is threaded. It will press out ribbons of lube.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Tycer wrote:They can crack where the set screw for the die is threaded. It will press out ribbons of lube.
Thank You, I will watch for that. I have watched a few U-tubes and the newer Lymans have a Nut to hold the die in place, must have been a prob with the set screw.
Perry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Perry,

If you're interested in getting into casting, then bookmark this web site: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

It is the place to go to learn about casting.

Cat
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have bought several Lyman type Luber/Sizers in the past Several Years. Some are Gray in color.
When I get them, I take them apart. Then using my Heat-Gun I clean them up. All the old dried lube just runs out and off the cast Iron frame & piston. I spray the case inside and out with WD-40 and blow off the excess with compressed air.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

There should be an extension spring that goes down to that bottom cross bar. It will hold the handle in the up position while you put in a new bullet. Can't see it it's there or not. I only have a few top punches but many will work with other bullets than they were intended for.

I use an old electric percolator, with the guts removed, to melt my lube in and just pour the tube almost full. Leave enough space for the follower to go down and catch a couple of threads.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Guys. Yes I am interested in getting into casting. I will clean it up with a heat gun so everything is like new lube wise. Still have to get a Die to size those 383s down to 377. Would going in steps be recommended or can I take .0006 off all at once ? another die would be another 30 bucks.
MM, there is a spring but it is so weak that it won't hold the lever up.
I see a lot of top punches that look like the right config for My bullets but there also seems to be about a million different ones.
Stay tuned - Perry
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I know that .006 reduction is quite a lot (I've never had to take one down that far). My most oversized mold is a 30 cal mold that casts about .317 I take down to .313 for a 32/20 and it looks kind of "damaged" to me (nose area shows uneven size line and grease groves a little scrunched) but it seems to shoot fairly well.

And I don't know if taking it down in steps helps anything -- hopefully somebody here has experience with this and can let us both have the benefit of their knowledge.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Perry,

You are wanting to size some .383 bullets to .377? The mould you show is intended for the 38/357 cartridges. The bullet should drop somewhat near to .358 or so.

Well, the Lyman isn't the best for that sort of thing as it's got it's weak points.

However, it also matters what the bullet's alloy is. The harder the bullet, the more effort to size.

I would try one and see. Sizing a great deal can make the lube grooves more shallow or wipe them completely off the bullet. If that happens then you can fill the grooves with lube first and then size them.

You can also try shooting bullets unsized, just lubed. Seat a bullet in a case without primer or powder and then see if it will chamber in the gun. If it will, then you can try shooting them unsized.

Cat
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

.006 doesn't sound like much does it, Old cars wouldn't even run with points set at .006 at least not very well.
@ catshooter, sorry My post was a little misleading. The mold, casting equip and lube sizer came in a trade which at some point I might need. That's why I need a sizing die and top punch for 377. One of Our Gracious members has offered to loan Me one. That will at least tell Me if it can be done successfully. And if so then it is purchase time.
I was going to try and get a picture of the bullets I want to size but this was a very busy day, maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow morning the repairman is coming to fix the dishwasher - between 8 & noon, U know what that means.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lyman Lube sizer- new pics

Post by pwl44m »

I snapped a couple pics of the bullets I am working with. The biggest one measured 382 and nominal was 381 so I may not have as far to go as thought. When I bought the bullets they were supposed to be 383s and they did work well in the old Marlin. I have another bag that measures 379 which is probably what a 375 mold throws. Average weight of the 2 is about 257.
I did shove one of the bullets down the Bore of the rifle and it was verry tight. It measured 365, I'm thinkin that aint good unless I did sumthin wrong. anyway a couple pics of the bullets and one of the slugged bullet and a couple of the Gun that I had rebored.
This Gun had a scope on it when I got it and I don't think it will be going back on. Rifle didn't have a dovetail for the front sight so JES called Me and asked if I wanted one cut in for $25 and if so He would trust Me for the money. Well of course I had it done. If the pics show it there is some rubber strip on top of the barrel that was used to level the scope mount. The mount was for a round barrel and mounted on an Octagon barrel - Sheesh. 5 holes in the barrel that will have to be filled. The dovetail blank will be removed if I use a barrel sight but I do have a Tang sight that I might use.
On with the pics- Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.