Post 64 Model 94 Winchester Jammed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mudcat
Levergunner

Post 64 Model 94 Winchester Jammed

Post by mudcat »

Hi guys, newbie question......I have a model 94 with the cartridge guide screws on the outside so i think that makes it a post 64. Anyway, when leaving deer camp last year one of the guys was missing the guide screw (left side) on his so I took mine out and gave it to him, knowing I would need to replace mine before this year's season. Kind of slipped my mind so when I grabbed the gun to sight in last weekeend I forgot and cycled the action. Now the action is jammed slightly open, maybe a 1/2 inch. It looks like the guide has dropped or moved backwards. Duh.

Anyone been in this rather emabrrassing position before and figured out the best way to get the cartridge guide back in place so i can install a new screw?

Mudcat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Post 64 Model 94 Winchester Jammed

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin guy here, but WELCOME to Leverguns. Somebody what owns one of them rattletrap Winchesters will chime in soon...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum!
mudcat wrote:Hi guys, newbie question......I have a model 94 with the cartridge guide screws on the outside so i think that makes it a post 64. Anyway, when leaving deer camp last year one of the guys was missing the guide screw (left side) on his so I took mine out and gave it to him, knowing I would need to replace mine before this year's season. Kind of slipped my mind so when I grabbed the gun to sight in last weekeend I forgot and cycled the action. Now the action is jammed slightly open, maybe a 1/2 inch. It looks like the guide has dropped or moved backwards. Duh.

Anyone been in this rather emabrrassing position before and figured out the best way to get the cartridge guide back in place so i can install a new screw?

Mudcat
Can you see any of the guide thru the partially open action? The cuts the guides sit in are radiused on both ends, as are the outside of the guides themselves. So, it IS possible that you jammed the bollt against a poorly positioned guide and both are wedged against the side of the receiver.

If it were mine, and, I could see that the guide was in its proper channel, not cock-eyed, but just back farther than necessary... I'd sppray some lubrication between the receiver & the bolt sides, (on both sides), and using a rubber or plastic mallet drive the bolt forward. No more than a coupla smart whacks should be needed.

If you can't see it, or it appears to be out of position, or beatin' on it doesn't free it, remove the link screw at the lower, left front of the receiver and drop the link. Hopefully, enough of the lever has dropped that you can remove the link/lever pin. In a post '64 top eject this should be a rool pin. That should get you enough movement to have the link far enough out of the way to perform the next step. Remove the carrier screw and let it drop out the bottom. That should get you a clear enough view to see where/how the bolt is jammed. If more room is needed, remove the spring cover (loading gate) for more visibility and another angle to work from.

Pictures are worth a thousand words... So... all of the above is just a guess. Intriguing question. Let us know how it comes out. (Bad pun, I know)! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The moral of the story is: Don't take parts off your gun for nobody!!!!!

I say that cos if the other guy didn't see fit to keep his gun in good order, why should you risk damage to your gun just to fix his?

As for getting the bolt back forward ..... what Griff said.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I remove a part, or mount a scope or sight that isn't adjusted yet, I tie a piece of orange survey-tape around the gun someplace (usually near whatever isn't ready yet). That saves me from grabbing a gun with a missing screw or non-sighted-in scope, etc...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

mudcat,

This tutorial may help you:

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
mudcat
Levergunner

Post by mudcat »

Hey Griff, excellent idea. I think the guide is just moved back a little so it may indeed be what you have described. I'll give a try at tapping it forward before I commit the time to lower the action out of it, I'll bet that works! Spare time is at a premium in the fall and I was looking for a suggestion that might buy me a couple of hours this weekend.

Just proves that no good deed goes unpunished but I've been deer hunting with the guy i gave it to going on 25 years now and i'm pretty sure he would have done the same for me.

Thanks again all, really appreciate the help. It was my dad's gun and I can't imagine going into the woods on opening day without it. I'm pretty sure this crowd understands that aspect of the hunt.

Will let you know how it went next week.

Mudcat
mudcat
Levergunner

Post by mudcat »

Worked like a charm fellas. Tapped it forward, just needed a little more force than i could give it by working the action. My brother inlaw gave me a screw out of his old parts gun, I'm all set!

Thanks for the help, you guys know your stuff.

Mudcat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mudcat wrote:Worked like a charm fellas. Tapped it forward, just needed a little more force than i could give it by working the action. My brother inlaw gave me a screw out of his old parts gun, I'm all set!
Thanks for the help, you guys know your stuff.
Mudcat
Congrats. You can now officially call yourself a "gunsmith"... :wink: Or not. :P In fact, it might not be a good thing to brag about... your buddies will all be wantin' stuff done cheap! Glad you got it working. Now, go forth and enjoy the hunt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mudcat
Levergunner

Post by mudcat »

I think we'll keep that between us guys! Thanks again Griff, really appreciate the advice. Not sure where you hang your hat but if you ever make it to Southern Ontario let me know and I will buy you a cold one.

Mudcat