Marlin Cowboy 1895 question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin Cowboy 1895 question.

Post by kentdep »

I have a 1895LTD-V that I have been toying with for some time. I bought it used and it came with a Lyman tang sight that I want to replace. I tried a long range side match at the Wolverine Range War last year and I did ok but I really don't care for the Lyman. It is kind of junky, loose and not too precision to say the least.

I have been looking at Montana Vintage Arms tang sights. I like the idea of the Soule sight for the windage adjustments. Does anyone here have experience with these sights on a Marlin or any other rifle for that matter?

I have a beach or combination front sight from them and it is really well made.

Just wondering if you guys have an opinion on the subject.

Thanks,

Jay
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

I have no first hand knowledge of MVA sights.......but some friends of mine say they LOVE their MVA sights.

FWIW :wink:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

We like the Smith Ladder sight it works well on our 1895 marlin. I can never get use to a Tang sight.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you just want to add windage remember that unlike the Lyman, the Marble's DO adjust for windage, and even the Taurus clones of the Marble (about 1/5th the cost) also adjust for windage, and the ones I have are tight and sturdy, although the detents could use a little work with a tiny triangular file to deepen them if I wanted to do lots of back and forth adjustment.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

Thanks for the tips guys.

AJMD429,

I hear what you are saying about the Marbles sights. I have them on a couple of rifles currently and I have looked at them for my LTD-V but on this particular rifle I don't care for the way they look. I have to have the right look to go along with the function and if it doesn't speak to me in the looks department I wouldn't be happy. I got one for a buddy who shoots an .38-55 Cowboy and he like it. It works for him. To me they look like an add on and that isn't what I am after. Thanks for throwing that out there though.

Jay