Winchester 240 gr jsp .44 magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 240 gr jsp .44 magnum

Post by steve817 »

When I first got my 1892 I thought these rounds were beating me to death. Adding a kick killer pad to the rifle and not shooting off of a bench has made it much more pleasurable. Now that I have accumulated enough brass I'd like to reload and possibly try and reproduce these since I am getting to the point that if I can see it I can hit it.
Does anyone by any chance have a recipe?
Last edited by steve817 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 240 gr jsp .44 magnum

Post by Pete44ru »

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You can use any of numerous recipes for a 240 gr. jacketed bullet in any manual. The list of suitable powders is long, and you should find it fairly easy to discover good loads with several of them. As always, start low and work up; often the best load will be sub-maximum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite source of reload data is AmmoGuide.com, partly because they have far better 'search' and 'filter' options than any other site I have seen. Yes, there is a small 'membership' fee of $18.95, but I'd rather have that than banner-ads flashing all over. They have 594 44 Mag loads listed at the moment, and 166 for the 240 grain bullets, with 37 just for 2400 powder and 240 grain bullets. They also have great graphics for cartridges, dimensions, and so on. Many other features.

I use less than 20 grains of 2400 powder and it approximates the same FPS with the Remington 240 grain JSP's I bought in bulk. Don't have the data handy here at work. If you use 2400 it helps to have a strong crimp; I use the Lee Factory Crimp die, but it is a 'Rifle' type and not the 'Pistol' one they sell ordinarily. You can custom order a 'Rifle' type die for something around $25, but Lee is overwhelmed still from the Obummer-II election, so not doing custom orders at the moment.

For a while I used a 44-40 Lee FCD, as they are normally sold in the 'Rifle' configuration; it can be used to crimp a 44 Magnum case properly by just using a hard file or stone to take off a few thousandths of an inch off the bottom of the die where it contacts the shell holder.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I did the same and bought 44-40 crimp dies and lathed the bottom to length for 44mag, 44 special, and 44 Colt. I don't know if there is enough meat left to go to the shorty 44 Rus. but I have the die, just haven't tried it yet.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

AJMD429 wrote:My favorite source of reload data is AmmoGuide.com, partly because they have far better 'search' and 'filter' options than any other site I have seen. Yes, there is a small 'membership' fee of $18.95, but I'd rather have that than banner-ads flashing all over. They have 594 44 Mag loads listed at the moment, and 166 for the 240 grain bullets, with 37 just for 2400 powder and 240 grain bullets. They also have great graphics for cartridges, dimensions, and so on. Many other features.

I use less than 20 grains of 2400 powder and it approximates the same FPS with the Remington 240 grain JSP's I bought in bulk. Don't have the data handy here at work. If you use 2400 it helps to have a strong crimp; I use the Lee Factory Crimp die, but it is a 'Rifle' type and not the 'Pistol' one they sell ordinarily. You can custom order a 'Rifle' type die for something around $25, but Lee is overwhelmed still from the Obummer-II election, so not doing custom orders at the moment.

For a while I used a 44-40 Lee FCD, as they are normally sold in the 'Rifle' configuration; it can be used to crimp a 44 Magnum case properly by just using a hard file or stone to take off a few thousandths of an inch off the bottom of the die where it contacts the shell holder.
I have a set of the Dillon dies. Guess I should have been more specific and said a recipe that would equal the performance of the rounds mentioned in the title. I love everything off the shelf about them except the price. I will be checking out ammoguide.com though.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Steve,
My "go-to" load for any of the 44 mag firearms I've owned is as follows:

W-W cases
W-W LP Magnum primer
24.0 gr W-W #296 powder
240 gr Hornady XTP HP bullet

This load is straight out of the Winchester handbook, with the exception of the Hornady bullet, they used a Winchester bullet, of course. They warn you not to reduce charges of 296 as it may result in dangerous pressures. I've used this load in every single 44 mag I've ever owned over the last 30 years and it performs wonderfully! As several truckloads of dead deer can attest...............if they could!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

steve817 wrote:Guess I should have been more specific and said a recipe that would equal the performance of the rounds mentioned in the title. I love everything off the shelf about them except the price. I will be checking out ammoguide.com though.
My last box was 19.9 grains of 2400 and was under factory velocity by about 75 fps out of my Ruger 96/44 levergun vs. the Winchester 240 jsp factory loads, but more accurate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

.44 Magnum is my all time favorite cartridge. I've been reloading for it since '86 and have 5 guns chambered for it. 99% of all my .44 reloads is lead bullets and my favorite for my '92 clone is a 265 gr. LRNFP by Ranch Dog. It feeds well in my Puma and works great in my handguns too. I have a few loads I like, one with Blue Dot, one with 2400, and one with WC820. I also used some Trail Boss for some lighter loads and got a pretty accurate load (for me) of around 2"-3" at 50 yds. I've tried loads from a 125 gr. round ball ".22 short feeling" gallery loads, up to 300 gr T-Rex killers in .44 Magnum.

I too had a problem with recoil in my Mod. '92 Puma (I have a SS bar for a collar bone and shooting my Puma would draw blood) so I got a leather lace on butt pad from Buffalo Traders and it looks "western" and I can shoot my Puma a lot more.

Sorry, no jacketed info as I haven't shot a jacketed bullet in .44 caliber since the early 90s... :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...