303 and Big Moose, maybe a record!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

303 and Big Moose, maybe a record!

Post by Canuck Bob »

http://www.whitehorsestar.com/archive/s ... ld-record/

This did my heart proud. A local newspaper printing a hunting story and a good old Canuck shooting a bragging bull with an iron sight 303 Lee Enfield. There is hope for this country yet!!!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 303 and Big Moose, maybe a record!

Post by gamekeeper »

A great report and some interesting comments too!...Thanks for posting.. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:A great report and some interesting comments too!...Thanks for posting.. :)
+1 from here :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Not that old bottle necked rimmed slow lumbering round shot from an old rear locking and cocking on forward bolt action!
Thats nearly as bad as using a levergun :lol:
At liest a levergun cocks on the bolts rearward stroke!

I do like these stories that contradict conventional wisdom :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It appears that the .303 in the Lee Enfield does not know it is obsolete and too weak to do the job. All the articles that I read state that a moose will not fall to anything that is not a Magnum.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice bull great story, the comments are interesting some people go to the store for their meat and then rant on a guy that goes out and gets his, kinda like the knotheads that are against logging and live in wood houses. danny
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Wow! What a moose
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Great Bull From The Great White North
Hope it goes all the way for him

Any body read some of those comments?

ollogger
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Nath wrote:... an old rear locking and cocking on forward bolt action!
Would there were more like that! If all bolt actions were as smooth as an SMLE, I might have little interest in leverguns.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's a great story!

I hope he gets the record. 8)

-Stretch
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

ollogger wrote:Great Bull From The Great White North

ollogger

Yeah, I did. Made me want to reply to those fools and, figuratively,
kick some of them in the caboose.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Some of those people should move to Quebec :)
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The comments are typical but the way folks jumped on the idiots is refreshing. Knocking moose hunting in the Yukon is like knocking football in Texas! It could lead to capitol punishment. The article is a true hunting story. I liked when he said he knew he had him because of his aggressive behavior and tree knocking. The description of the bull closing and that rack swinging side to side in silence got my heart pounding.

A lot of arm chair experts regarding meat and such nonsense. My last bull was big by our local standards and certainly smelled like only a wet moose can smell. I was dating a gal with three hungry kids and they ate that beast for a long time and asked me for another one! It was deadly tasty bbq'ed and the butcher made a couple hundred pounds of pork assisted sausage, many pounds from the massive neck alone. It was dropped by a 444 by the way.

I do like cows and does for meat but the males are best harvested for the herd. A cattleman sells his steers and keeps his cows to build a herd. However, a young doe is some tasty and the best game I ever ate was from a buddies young cow elk.

It is interesting that the current record comes from Alaska and just over the line from this one. A smart man just might do some research for finding some B&C moose. I've never been a trophy hunter but as long as the meat is harvested I understand the pull. That rack would fill the whole wall of my house. I like that he is going to find a public place for display.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ain't that somethin'! Hunting the way our granddaddies did with the open sights and a cartridge very near our own 30-40. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

piller wrote:It appears that the .303 in the Lee Enfield does not know it is obsolete and too weak to do the job. All the articles that I read state that a moose will not fall to anything that is not a Magnum.

Maybe the moose THOUGHT he was being stalked by a hunter with a magnum?

...or maybe he was overtaken by class alone. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rusty wrote:
piller wrote:It appears that the .303 in the Lee Enfield does not know it is obsolete and too weak to do the job. All the articles that I read state that a moose will not fall to anything that is not a Magnum.

Maybe the moose THOUGHT he was being stalked by a hunter with a magnum?

...or maybe he was overtaken by class alone. :D
Could be. I have never hunted moose, but I just can't believe all the articles that say how much power it takes to knock one down. How did humans keep from starving to death before the magnums were invented?
D. Brian Casady
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Many locals who should know will say the elk is tougher than a moose. In my experience they are BIG and can absorb lead if the shooter is an iffy shot. Put a good hunting bullet were it belongs and most game drops quick. For years the 215 gr RN 303 was considered the ideal moose cartridge. However, moose are a heavy bush creature so long range is not usually an issue.

30-30 might be marginal for moose but thousands of moose have expired due to the 30-30 or 32 Special. In my opinion 7mm-08, 308 on up is plenty with proper bullets, heavier penetrating bullets. I suppose for past 250 yards the magnums have their place and I once used a 375 H&H and that is a game getter. My first choice is the 444.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, sorry to hear Canada has it's share of clueless dorks touting McDonald's fare over wild venison.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Wow, sorry to hear Canada has it's share of clueless dorks touting McDonald's fare over wild venison.
I suspect most countries have engineered and educated dorkness as a goal! We have a very strong anti-gun lobby that is steering us to European standards. But to rag on a guy for killing his supper while eating beef is just too stupid. It reminds me of the gal who was mad that deer crossing signs are put in the wrong place. She thought moving them to school crossings would be better!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Actually MORE gun than he needed. More moose,big bear, and elk were killed with the .44/.50 caliber muzzleloader, 44-40 and 30-30 than any other 4 rounds you could group together. Some hunters know how to shoot and hunt and don't need magnums and premium bullets. Bet alot of elephants were sucessfully taken by poachers and farmers in Africa with the .303 British cause they could shoot, it was all they had, they were hungry, and didn't read gun rags. :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

tman, I am sure the .303 and even other calibers can do the job. My comments were made in jest. I have seen a lot of times where the good folks here on the forum have tested bullets in water jugs and such. It is apparent that some bullets penetrate much better than the gun rags would be willing to admit to. It really comes down to their advertising sales being the driving force behind a lot of the calibers they want the reader to buy. I really don't think that dead moose cared what caliber it was since moose can't read the gun rags anyway.
D. Brian Casady
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It was a nice story. I liked many aspects of it. The commentary just shows you that both of our societies have its fair share of idiots.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

piller wrote:tman, I am sure the .303 and even other calibers can do the job. My comments were made in jest. I have seen a lot of times where the good folks here on the forum have tested bullets in water jugs and such. It is apparent that some bullets penetrate much better than the gun rags would be willing to admit to. It really comes down to their advertising sales being the driving force behind a lot of the calibers they want the reader to buy. I really don't think that dead moose cared what caliber it was since moose can't read the gun rags anyway.
That's the way i took it. Nothing against the modern supermagnums, just like the old time lever guns. If I went out west to hunt elk, and only had 1 week, I'd chose a 300WM. with a 3x9 scope with superformance ammo, and spend the summer shooting at 400 yards +. :D I don't like gunwriters' presuming that you are an unethical hunter, by choosing by their standards :o outdated inadequate, but PROVEN over 100 years of sucessfully game taken by , in their opinion substandard calibers. :evil:
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

That is quite a good hunting story, and shot with a old Lee Enfield , and the man wants to donate the antlers to where they can be seen by lots of people. His house is to small for them LOL
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I'll be in AK next year to hunt moose and I'll be happy to kill one with a rack the size of that one's brow tines...

That is a whopper of a moose and beautiful in shape and symmetry too.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

ollogger wrote:Great Bull From The Great White North

ollogger
Glad it went all the way for him

ollogger
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Awesome but some of those comments were disturbing
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Great story! When I did some research on the 303 Brit I came away very impressed with its ballistics using its "heavy for caliber" bullet weight of 215 grains. Its one of the reasons I bought my Savage-made Enfield! Its a very capable cartridge with a decent bullet!!!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

all the old cartridges and calibers are quite good enough......just like the modern ones......except when they arent ..... and then maybe nothing hand held would work.

i have knocked down moose with 338 and had them get right up,and be knocked down again.. have put three 338 right into the lungs of a smallish bull at 175 yards who walked on like nothing was happening for 30 yards or so and then dropped. all three hit within a 3" group

also had them go right down and never get up with 338s and also with 45/70 with 400 gr lead.

they all work quite well, except when they dont and who knows why

having noted that, i will say that i almost always hunt with leverguns. should also mention that lately it hasnt mattered since i havent seen a legal moose while i was hunting.
cable
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.303 enfield and a 1876 winchester 45-75 carbine would make a keen Canadian Yukon battery 8)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

hfcable wrote:lately it hasnt mattered since i havent seen a legal moose while i was hunting.
Wait . . . . are you saying that they actually exist?!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

7.62 Precision wrote:
hfcable wrote:lately it hasnt mattered since i havent seen a legal moose while i was hunting.
Wait . . . . are you saying that they actually exist?!

maybe but........ i think Bigfoot has them herded away somewhere as his personal food supply.
cable
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

piller wrote:I just can't believe all the articles that say how much power it takes to knock one down. How did humans keep from starving to death before the magnums were invented?
With bows and spears.

But moose made a quantum evolutionary leap, becoming suddenly much larger, stronger, and much more bullet resistant around the same time the hot magnum cartridges were starting to show up.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I see them when I'm bone tired on a dark logging road. The big black blankety blanks can get a guys heart race crossing fast in front of the Jeep.

I ran into a new report on this moose by the way on CBC news. Apparently he has sold it to someone since it went world record. He is having a cast made to hang in a local place.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Canuck Bob wrote:I see them when I'm bone tired on a dark logging road. The big black blankety blanks can get a guys heart race crossing fast in front of the Jeep.
They don't reflect light.

They will peel the top off of a car like a sardine can. A friend of mine in high school was killed when the girl he was riding with hit one. Peeled the top off the car and ended up laying in the laps of the three kids in the back. Its legs were in the front seat and it was kicking. The girl who was driving spent a long time in ICU.

One of my teachers hit one in an AMC Eagle. You could sit in the back seat and look up at the sky.

I had one hit me. I was going 30 MPH before I hit the brakes, and she ran into the side of the truck. Caved in the passenger door, the crew cab, wrecked the windshield frame, and dinged the bed. She got one leg forward and took out the front quarter panel. Totaled the Chevy 1500.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

When I lived near Sault Sainte Marie a trucker wrote off his rig claiming he hit two of them going around the lakehead. They only found one carcass until an OPP officer spotted a fifth leg.

They are a real hazard and get quite stupid during the rut. They really do appear out of nowhere and for some reason often don't even give off eye reflection glow which saves my bacon the most. To date I have hit a moose, three deer, and scared a couple of bears as much as they scared me with a big truck or pickup.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

He deserves all the praise, and $endorsments$......A great story.

(If you don't want a bunch of "stuff" from the rabid PETA People, don't publish your kill on a social network...they will try to eat you alive....there was one case where they burnt out her house/barn)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote:If you don't want a bunch of "stuff" from the rabid PETA People, don't publish your kill on a social network...they will try to eat you alive....there was one case where they burnt out her house/barn
A guy in ANC shot a bear that was mauling his neighbor. She had cubs. He caught one cub soon after, and then spent several days looking for the other s before he caught them. They went to zoos around the country. Anyway, it hit the paper and wrecked his life for a while. They wrecked his car and his house, he had to change his phone number, he got death threats, etc.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

7.62 Precision wrote:
BlaineG wrote:If you don't want a bunch of "stuff" from the rabid PETA People, don't publish your kill on a social network...they will try to eat you alive....there was one case where they burnt out her house/barn
I guy in ANC shot a bear that was mauling his neighbor. She had cubs. He caught one cub soon after, and then spent several days looking for the other s before he caught them. They went to zoos around the country. Anyway, it hit the paper and wrecked his life for a while. They wrecked his car and his house, he had to change his phone number, he got death threats, etc.
I'm sure those people would have rather he let the bear kill his neighbor than for him to take the life of the bear.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:
I guy in ANC shot a bear that was mauling his neighbor. She had cubs. He caught one cub soon after, and then spent several days looking for the other s before he caught them. They went to zoos around the country. Anyway, it hit the paper and wrecked his life for a while. They wrecked his car and his house, he had to change his phone number, he got death threats, etc.
I'm sure those people would have rather he let the bear kill his neighbor than for him to take the life of the bear.
Fact: Daughter and I were at the Oregon Caves for a tour. The Forest Service Officer told us that if we hurt one of his bears we'd better be missing an arm or leg first....Daughter was not pleased when I gave the guy some flack.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good for you Blaine!!!! What a triple A whole. :evil: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel