348 bullet casters question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

348 bullet casters question

Post by BenT »

I made a sizing die for my 351 Win . I sized down some 358 190FP bullets and it didn't leave me with much for lube grooves, but I am tumble lubing with alox. The problem is the flat point won't feed , the melplat is too wide. So I was looking in the Lyman book and see that they make a 187gr bullet for the 348 , #350447. Just wondering if anyone cast this bullet and if so what size does it drop out of the mold at. I would be interested in what size the bullets drop out of any 348 mold. Then I would know if it is worth pursuing 348 bullets for the 351. Thanks.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 348 bullet casters question

Post by TedH »

I'd be interested in learning a little about this too. There is a Winchester 07SL locally that I might be able to pick up cheap, at least I think it's cheap. It's on a local auction that ends in a few days, and right now is only bid up to $180.
NRA Life Member
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The 351WSL rifles are gorgeous well made rifles of steel and wood. But they are very heavy. Where are getting your brass. I read on another forumn that some of then can use "223" brass cut down. It depends if your rifle's extractor will grip the smaller rim. Some will, some don't. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

The Lyman 350319 was made for the .351 self loader.

.352 is the size for the .351 according to Lyman

Accurate molds makes a mold for the .351

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 175A-D.png

I have a single cavity 358311 that you could trade me out of pretty easy, it is out of round a few thousandths , but if you are sizing down to .352 shouldn't matter, has a round nose so should feed, around 160 grns.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks for the replies. I put the bullet I had in the lathe and took the melplat down. Now it feeds and shoots 2 in groups at 50 yards. So I am good with this bullet. It is a short term thing since once I shoot a deer with it I plan on just plinking. I use Grafs 180gr plated bullet, they shoot great and are affordable. But they did not perform well on water jugs.

I've made brass from 223 , which works. But the best is 357 brass with rim turned down , no extraction groove needed. The chambers are very generous in diameter, the cases are bulged quite abit. Which is why blowback guns operate , because the bras has to expand so much it doesn't get a grip on the chamber walls. I use 357 dies , but you must have a Lee crimp die to keep the bulletin place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ben,
I cast for the .348 and my custom NEI mould drops the bullets out right at .351, which by the way, is what I size my bullets at.

Get Joel at NEI to cut you out a mould for your 351. They have about everything ever thought up.----6

www.neihandtools.com
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD