125 grain SST vs Whitetail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

125 grain SST vs Whitetail

Post by wvfarrier »

I got this doe on the 27th about 2pm. It was pouring rain so no pic of her but I wanted to show the damage done by a 300 blackout rifle with a 10.5" barrel can do. The round was a handloaded 125 grain Hornady SST. The doe weighed about 125 pounds. Next to the one I head shot this was the fastest kill I have ever had on a deer. The bullet struck, she dropped like a stone. Then she got back up and walked about 8 feet. At that point she kinda looked around like "stuff I think im dead" and crumpled. Whole time from shot to death was about 10- 15 seconds. Iwas extremely impressed with the bullet. The shot struck just in front of the right front shoulder angling away and exited out between the 4 and5th rib on the opposing side. Found two small fragments of the jacket in the hide. The exit hole was an inch wide at least.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww12 ... 4da4e1.jpg

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww12 ... 9203bb.jpg
Last edited by wvfarrier on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 125 grain SST vs Bushytail

Post by ollogger »

Well that pix. explains the sudden death!!!
How fast is that bullet going? I know nothing bout the cartridge
does it have a parent, Seems it went in a black gun so I choose to remain mostly ignorant
but curious

ollogger
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My chrono is busted so I am not sure. Its a mid range load for this round.
it is a standard 556 casing that it modified to fit a 308 bullet.
Uses mostly pistol powders for propellant
can be loaded from 110 grain up to 247 grain
most heavier bullets are loaded subsonic.
I have a 247 cast lead going 1000 fps that is wicked.
uses all 556 rifle parts except the barrel
excellent reloaders round
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

You and I have a different definition of what a bushytail is.

Impressive wound.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Yeah when you said bushy tail I had this mental picture of a rabbit without much left to call a rabbit lol

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, I was picturin' Hasenpfeffer also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I Heard squill....... :lol:

I don't think I could do that to an animal. .... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wvfarrier wrote:My chrono is busted so I am not sure. Its a mid range load for this round.
it is a standard 556 casing that it modified to fit a 308 bullet.
Uses mostly pistol powders for propellant
can be loaded from 110 grain up to 247 grain
most heavier bullets are loaded subsonic.
I have a 247 cast lead going 1000 fps that is wicked.
uses all 556 rifle parts except the barrel
excellent reloaders round
I've not messed with the Blackout other then to sight in a couple rifles for customers .

I have however worked up subsonic loads in 4 308 bolt guns with suppressors . Generally a 220 grain jacketed bullet with 14.5 grains of Trailboss puts me in the 950-980 FPS window . I killed a groundhog or two with these loads and they did the job although I wasn't overly impressed . The guys I worked the loads up for however killed several deer over last season and the DCP season this year and they seemed quite satisfied .

I used the Sierra 220 roundnose to work up to velocity and then went to the 220 grain Outlaw State Bullet .

http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

RustyJr wrote:Yeah when you said bushy tail I had this mental picture of a rabbit without much left to call a rabbit lol

RustyJr
Tehcnically I think a "bushytail" is a squirrel and a "cottontail" would be the rabbit :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Not here. Everyone I know calls whitetail deer bushytails. And squirrels are tree rats
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ollogger wrote:I know nothing bout the cartridge
does it have a parent, Seems it went in a black gun so I choose to remain mostly ignorant
but curious.
This page has lots of links and a couple videos - http://300aacblackout.com/

Article on the 300 Blk - http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK.pdf

YouTube Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbYLyfFf9u8

Suppresses well, too - (more YouTube videos)
It is one reason I like the versatile 'Mystic' suppressor from LibertyCans.net - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrLkQ1U ... detailpage

I don't know Travis Haley, but he made a great video about the round as a military one here:
[b]Advanced Armament Corp.[/b] wrote:"Introducing the Advanced Armament Corp. 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK). This system was developed to launch 30 caliber projectiles from the AR platform without a reduction in magazine capacity and compatible with the standard bolt.

Full power 115-125 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK, and eclipses 5.56mm with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target. Or choose subsonic cartridges for optimal use with a sound suppressor - 220 grain Sierra OTM (open-tip match) bullets vastly outperforms a 9mm MP5-SD in penetration and long range accuracy.

Ammo and brass prices are low - Remington 115 grain UMC ammo is $12.99 a box MSRP - and it is not bare bones. It has waterproofed primers, crimped and cannelured open-tip match bullets, and a low-drag design.

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

For hunting - think of it as like a 30-30 but from an AR. After you are done, you can remove your 5-round magazine and put in a 30 for plinking or home defense. For ammo, Remington has you covered with the Premiere AccuTip 125 grain. Want industry-wide support? Over 60 companies have already announced or sell products.

Due to the high efficiency of the cartridge, less powder is used than 5.56mm, which results in a rifle that is a comfortable to shoot - even with a short barrel.
"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "