Somethin'-Somethin' for the wife... What gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Somethin'-Somethin' for the wife... What gun?

Post by Panzercat »

I guess it was somewhat expected, but my 1911 is something the wife has determined she is likely never to use and has a hard time seeing herself operating it in a defensive situation. I don't think she would have a problem with the recoil so much as the act of mechanical operation. Racking the slide seems to present the biggest hurdle and she's barely able to do so. Likewise, the weight is formidable for her petite frame.

So now I'm looking for alternatives. Something light, and mechanically easy to operate. This requirement doesn't preclude semis; She knows how to work them, the slide just has to be easy to rack Same goes with revolvers in double action trigger pulls. I would kind of like any automatic to be no less than 9mm, but I'm open to suggestions. maybe 380 or something. Revolvers in .38 (preferably 38/357) would be acceptable.

Any ideas?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Somethin'-Somethin' for the wife... What gun?

Post by Tycer »

Sure. Two hours of lessons at a range that rents guns. Would you choose shoes for her? Fit and comfort (7.62 precision is correct, and COLOR) are even more important with a sidearm. Give her a certificate for the gun of her choice. With my wife, if it's not her idea.....
Last edited by Tycer on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My wife has carried for 13yrs. She is a pretty good shot and a quick study. Her first handgun was an old flatlatch chiefs special I gave her. I let her try my LW Commander and was shocked how well she did with it. When I bought her her second gun I told her she could have whatever she wanted. She got a S&W 442. She is comfortable with a 38 snubbie and I don't think this should be overlooked. I keep a Glock 21SF with a TLR1 on the nightstand. If I'm at work and something goes bump she won't touch it but will pick up her 442 and a Surefire. Being comfortable and confident with something can't be measured but is nonetheless important.
By the sounds of what you are saying, a small j-frame type revolver may be a good choice for your wife also. I don't know how much shooting experience she has had but I DO think she needs to be the one to make the choice. The more guns she can try the better.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed, have HER choose (formerly working at a gunshop and having taught a few dozen females how to shoot).

Disassociate yourself from the process. Your job is to cough up the $ and say 'yes dear'.

In a revolver, a 3" S&W K frame is easy to hit with and easy to shoot, especially with a triggerjob.

In the 2" size, the Ruger LCR has the best trigger out of the box I've seen, and the model with the Crimson Trace Lasergrip isn't hard to use with practice.

Racking a semiauto is a matter of practice and physiology. Most women can't rack it the way guys do.

Have her (keeping the muzzle safely downrange) turn the gun 'sideways'. Assuming a right handed shooter, aim it left across the body. Using an overhand grip have her push with her firing hand and pull with the left hand in the overhand grip at the same time. Especially with a full size piece (1911 with hammer already cocked, Glock, M&P, Beretta, etc) it's not hard.

Chick in my academy class was 4'9" and using this method, could rack her M&P 9mm easily.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Great suggestion! Will try the side racking method first.
All in all, I was just looking for starting points. Time on range before purchase was a given. :p
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My wife has similar issues. I got her a stainless steel Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum and had a gunsmith do an action job on it to smooth things up. It is very easy to load, operation is just a matter of pulling the trigger, and it shoots very well with lighter .38 Special loads.
She doesn't really care for the semi-autos, but I recently got a Ruger SR40c, a very nice, slim double action semi-auto in .40 S&W (also available in 9mm). She hasn't had a chance to shoot it yet, but really likes the size and feel of it, along with the fact that it holds nine in the magazine plus one in the chamber, and is just as easy as a revolver to put into action. Just pull the trigger. I'm sure we will have to work on racking the slide.
As soon as the weather improves, I am taking her out for a shooting session and see if I can get her interested in the semi-auto.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A J-Frame .38 Special is the easiest to master. I carry an LCP with the Crimson Trace built into it, but, it's a vicious little bastage to practice with.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my wife's 442 has a much harder trigger pull than her lcp, and she won't use it for carry. she can't maintain the sight picture through the trigger cycle. the lcp holds two more rounds, has a manageable trigger, and she hits well with it. I mean to add the crimson trace.

she has similar issues with racking the semis, and I have her practice with all of them the same way, cup the slide and push with the grip hand. I usually do it the same way unless I am checking the chamber on the 1911

I am a big fan of the lcp and use one as a backup. I wish I had bought about five more.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

BlaineG wrote:..., but, it's a vicious little bastage to practice with.
And intimidating, as most in a J frame can be for some women after a couple of rounds down range. A mid frame revolver is generally a better choice for the uninitiated woman. Plenty to hold on to, enough weight to somewhat mitigate recoil and can be had in efficient cartridges for self defense, recreational shooting, etc. I echo the above about not getting in the way of her decision, but do, diplomatically, discourage her from choosing a J frame or similar. She may be so inclined due to the size and weight and appearance of the "cute" little revolvers.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GoatGuy wrote:
BlaineG wrote:..., but, it's a vicious little bastage to practice with.
And intimidating, as most in a J frame can be for some women after a couple of rounds down range. A mid frame revolver is generally a better choice for the uninitiated woman. Plenty to hold on to, enough weight to somewhat mitigate recoil and can be had in efficient cartridges for self defense, recreational shooting, etc. I echo the above about not getting in the way of her decision, but do, diplomatically, discourage her from choosing a J frame or similar. She may be so inclined due to the size and weight and appearance of the "cute" little revolvers.
I've only used 130s....I can see where a .357 or 158gr +P in a 38 could be really uncomfortable in a JFrame. They make a 130 grain fmj 38 that I practice with, and winchester has a platinum (whatever they are calling it these days) 130+P JHP. At SD range, they hit to the same POI....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Men and women don't think the same. Let her pick what she likes. My wife doesn't like autos and won't touch them. She is fine with a S&W M65 though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Take her and let her try one of the smaller S&W 38 specials that fits her hand.
Show her how to load it and even use a speed loader once she gets used to it.
Let her use some nice mild target loads to start. tell her this is her gun and her gun alone.
It will protect her.
Maybe one even in the fancy multi colored wood with pink accents?

Once she sees she can hit stuff and it feels good to shoot it, my take she will like it and it will make her a fine weapon!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My wife is petite as well, 5' on a tall day, with hands to match and like most women doesn't have the greatest upper body strength. I figured out long ago that what works for me will never work for her. I let her try what we had, and she decided she like revolvers best. Then between what I had and what friends had, she decided on a 2" .38 spl, 5 shot.

What I'm getting at is what has already been said, she has to choose for herself. I did end up putting somewhat smaller grips on her .38 snubbie to make it more comfortable for her. And that's one big advantage with a revolver, you have greater latitude with grip size and shape.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

at the risk of repeating myself I am going to say it again

the two women in my life shoot the lcp very well. it does not hurt their hands. they do not have any problems with it at all. I think it might be BECAUSE it has such a small grip, and they have small hands. I mean, look at Blaine's hands, of course it can bite him.

the think I value in the lcp vs my snubbies is how THIN it is. and that is something the ladies like a lot.

not trying to sell them, I just think guys mis-underestimate them.

out
Last edited by Grizz on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

My wife's favorite gun is her Colt 1911, she took her ccl with it and out shot everyone else, On the other hand her carry piece is a S&W 3" model 60, with a longish grip. She shoots this pretty good also. She practices with .38 special 130 gr, solids, but when carrying the gun has .357 mag. 125gr, HP's. This is the gun is the one with adjustable sights. Easy to use and never fails, just a little heavy.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Outside of injury that decreases strength, charging a semi-auto is a matter of training, not size or strength.

However, if you want something that is easier to charge, it should be 9mm (lighter springs), have a slide that can be gripped easily (for example, XDm slide can be gripped more easily than an XD frame, and stay away from slide-mounted safeties), and a reasonable size (very short pistols tend to have very stiff springs).

Don't have her turn the pistol sideways to charge, it is dangerous to bystanders, especially on a range, and can be dangerous to her own elbow, especially under stress. It is also not as reliable as charging correctly. She will have to learn to hold the slide with her support hand and punch the pistol forward with her firing hand. This is hard for most people to get initially because there is some sort of mental deal we have that says the slide should be pulled back.

Some people will recommend having her lock the slide open and use the slide release to charge, which would work just fine except that she still needs to be able to charge it if she has a malfunction.

Best thing is to let her get some professional training (and not from one of these puffed-up swaggering wanna-be Delta instructors that seem to be popping up in every town, but from someone who is balanced, reasonable, and will work with her to find the best solution for her) and then after she has the experience of the training behind her, let her choose a pistol.

Don't let the guy behind the counter or an instructor force his favorite pistol, holster, etc. on her. It should be her choice, and it matters not at all which she chooses, so long as it is a reasonable caliber and a reliable pistol.

You might look at a S&W M&P, CZ, Jericho, or other CZ clone, SIG 239 - allof these seem to be especially popular with women. For smaller pistols, the XDs seems pretty nice, the SIG 938 if she likes 1911 style pistols, and the Kimber Solo is really nice, but on the expensive side. Most of the really small pistols will have tighter springs. Of course, she should looks at the Smith or Ruger revolvers if she prefers a revolver.

Keep in mind that looks, colors, etc. may be much more important to her than they are to you, and might play a bigger part in her choice than you think they should. Don't worry about it.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Many times a woman can show a woman how to operate a pistol. If you know a woman who is proficient at operating said pistol, have her show your wife how to do it. I tried showing my wife the slide racking procedure, and she could not 'get' it until a female shooting acquaintance showed my wife how to do it. All of a sudden, she 'got' it.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm thinking a lady smith would be a great starting point.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Indianagirl who just started shooting about 2 years ago likes the LC9 and the S&W 642.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I just picked up the parts for another Rossi small frame double action revolver.
With handloads good results can be accomplished.
Every woman who has ever shot the first one has LIKED it.
I think it is a comfort level with them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:at the risk of repeating myself I am going to say it again

the two women in my life shoot the lcp very well. it does not hurt their hands. they do not have any problems with it at all. I think it might be BECAUSE it has such a small grip, and they have small hands. I mean, look at Blaine's hands, of course it can bite him.

the think I value in the lcp vs my snubbies is how THIN it is. and that is something the ladies like a lot.

not trying to sell them, I just think guys mis-underestimate them.

out
I hope I didn't dissuade anyone....it's a high quality, small/THIN piece that fits perfectly in my leather vest pocket and is undetectable. When I practice with it, I wear a bandaid on the trigger finger and if I need it I won't care if it bites a little 8) Get the Crimson Trace Model...worth every extra penny!

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yeah that laser sight is awesome, and I still haven't gotten one yet. my bad.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm probably only rehashing what everyone already knows but....
If she is going to carry it for self defense I would think something she can point and pull the trigger, like a Glock or DA revolver. We can't carry in Oz but if we could I would be happy with my Ruger security six, it fits my small hand and with a set of Wolfe springs fitted it is a light, smooth trigger pull.
As everyone else has said, she won't use it if she don't like it, so let her find her own, but without some moron salesman to guide her.
On the subject of self defense, it is probably more important that she has the mindset to use it, so that it will not be taken from her and used against her.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I would not let her choose. She needs guidance here. If you let her choose, she will most likely pick one that looks cool and feels good, with a long barrel, automatic or in a caliber that is too small or too big.

Let her "choose" a 642 'Smith or other small 38 revolver without a hammer is a first best choice. In times of stress, the last thing a somewhat unknowledgeable person needs is to think about is safeties, disconnectors, racking the slide, and if something bad happens mechanically, like a stove pipe, she will be history.

Sure, anyone can be trained on these issues with repetitive practice, but do you really think a non-gun individual is going to follow through with this demanding discipline?

With a hammerless revolver, there is no thinking involved and no hammer to snag on clothing or her purse. Its pull, point and shoot...no brainer---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I would not let her choose. She needs guidance here. If you let her choose, she will most likely pick one that looks cool and feels good, with a long barrel, automatic or in a caliber that is too small or too big.

Let her "choose" a 642 'Smith or other small 38 revolver without a hammer is a first best choice. In times of stress, the last thing a somewhat unknowledgeable person needs is to think about is safeties, disconnectors, racking the slide, and if something bad happens mechanically, like a stove pipe, she will be history.

Sure, anyone can be trained on these issues with repetitive practice, but do you really think a non-gun individual is going to follow through with this demanding discipline?

With a hammerless revolver, there is no thinking involved and no hammer to snag on clothing or her purse. Its pull, point and shoot...no brainer---------6
Yep, but, if she don't like it....."When Mama's happy, everyone is happy" :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sixgun wrote:I would not let her choose. She needs guidance here. If you let her choose, she will most likely pick one that looks cool and feels good, with a long barrel, automatic or in a caliber that is too small or too big.

Go figger, this from a guy calls hisself sixgun.

Clearing drills on a semi are a piece of cake. Reloading is faster unless you are Jerry M. The small nines are easier to shoot than a j frame and the recoil is less felt due to the barrel being lower in the hand.

That said, Nancy carries a snub Smith 60 with pink Crimson Trace grips and Speer 135 grain Short Barrel LE ammo.

It was her choice. Her friends carry everything from 1911s to Walther P22s
Kind regards,
Tycer
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Maybe so Tycer, At Targetmaster, they have twice monthly classes, of which most are women. Targetmaster has every current manufactured gun available for the women to shoot and the course is run by cops who are certified NRA instructors. These classes are always sold out and there is a waiting list to get in.

After the classroom instruction is over and choosing a gun to shoot the second part of the course, with the help of the instructor, 8 out of 10 women choose a small frame 38 Spl or 357.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My Wife bought a LC9 & it just don't work for her, bad trigger, hard to load mag
trouble with the slide, stiff safety,that said I get along with it just fine, but don't really
care for it, she has found out she likes my 642 & how handy it is in a purse or pocket
I may have lost my little snub to her, so I may have to look for a 44 bull dog pug

ollogger
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I was ribbing ya Six. Even though Nancy shot over 20 different guns she ended up with what you recommended. Between us we know nine women who actually carry regularly. More than half do carry revolvers, the others don't. And you are right, the ones that carry are women who shoot regularly.

I'll still stick to my guns on it should be their choice. They are smart enough to know whether or not they will take the time to master clearing drills. Nancy won't. That's why she chose the revolver. I'm lucky to get her out with the sidearm once a month for a cylinder full. Shooting 200 clays? No problem, but the shorty? Not so much.
Kind regards,
Tycer
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Let's not fall into the common gunstore counter trap of assuming a woman cannot learn to shout a semi-auto pistol.

There is no reason why a woman cannot be as well trained and effective with one as a man.

Imagine if we were talking cars here: "Don't get her a powerful sports car because she won't be able to handle the power, and if she get's in a dangerous situation trying to avoid a wreck, she won't have the strength to steer it and she won't be able to remember how to use the clutch and the brake and the throttle and shift gears. Leave that kind of car to men who have the brains to drive them, and get her a mini-van, so she can handle it with her diminished female mental capacity."

How well would that go over?

If she prefers a revolver, great! And I'm all for having a simple-to-operate weapon for women AND men. But to suggest that women need revolvers because they are simple, take no brains, and don't require training is both insulting and ludicrous. The answer is never to suggest less training. Get whatever works best for her and get training, training to do training on her own, and let her do more training on her own, but always the emphasis should be on training.

My wife often outshoots me with a number of different pistols.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I got my daughter this one. they took the 40 single stack mag and shrunk the 1911 to fit. she loves it

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ld+emp+.40

its got factory night sights also. I took my females to the gun shop and told them to pick out what feels good to them.