Reloading for the .35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading for the .35 Remington

Post by S.B. »

Why wouldn't a reloader use the factory formula for this ammo, seeing it has been so successful with game animals? I have an older Lyman manual that has a factory duplication load in it. I saw Midway USA now has some new Winchester brass for this caliber but, is very expensive.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The old .35 is a good round and will do its job well at factory velocity. No need to hot rod it.
My reloading efforts for it are not to increase velocity but to get the best accuracy I can with my rifle. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

39.0 gr of 4064 with a 200 pretty much does that in my rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Actually, the old Lyman book I've got says IMR 3031 is the powder for factory duplication loads?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am sure you can duplicate factory loads with anything slower than 4064 that is appropriate to reach factory velocity.

38.0 gr of 4895 would probably do it also.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use the 38 gr. of H4895 with a 200 gr. Hornady or Rem RN and it functions perfectly in my old Remington Model 8 autoloader.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie have you chronographed that?

Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Hdy 200gr/H4895/38.0 gr. Great accuracy in my 1980 336C 35Rem.

Best,
Dan
miestro_jerry
Levergunner

Post by miestro_jerry »

I used 38.5 grains of 748 in my 35 Remington reloadings with Hornady 200gr bullets, Acts like factory ammo.

Jerry
Always lookin' to learn
Always ready to teach

NRA Patron Member
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

After years of playing with the .35 Remington I settled on 39.0/IMR 4895. This chronographs with 200 Hdy. at:

Winchester case; 2178
Remington case; 2133

These fall really close to the old published velocity of 2100.

FWIW, the Federal factory I have chronographed was 2009
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That makes sense compared to these other loads I have tried. The new Leverevolution is at 2100. I like the fact that 39.0 of these powders about fills the case. Perfect load me. I see the post count hit 1000 - reminds me that I should be at my taxes. :?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

CBH how many rifles have you worked with on this?

Guess not on the taxes just yet. :D

JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Has anyone loaded Hard Cast 200 grn bullets in the 35 Remington? I'm thinking of trying the Beartooth .358 or .359 200 grain GC in my just arrived 336 in 35 Rem.

Advice or experience would be welcome.

Thanks,

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Hobie have you chronographed that?
Sorry for not getting back to you. IIRC I got about 2150 fps from both my Remington M8 and my Contender 21" barrel.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

JP_TX, I have loaded for 35 Remington for several years. If you want to try a cast bullet, you can do no better than the RCBS 200 gr gascheck bullet. I cast mine from wheelweights with 5 percent pure lead, a Hornaday gascheck, lubed with Javalina Alox, sized .359, with 21 gr of Accurate xmp5744. It shoots as well as any jacketed load out of my two Marlins. I have no experience with the other bullets you mentioned, but don't see why they wouldn't work well either. From what I can tell, the micro-groove issue and lead bullets is mostly in gunwriter's minds. Good luck. :)
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

jlchucker,

Many thanks. I don't cast... yet. lol so I have been checking the ready mades and Beartooth has a good rep. I'll order some and give it a try. The gun is a Gunbroker special so I'm still getting aquainted. Hope to shoot some factory 150s within the next couple of weeks. When i get my dies then I will settle down to business.

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Anybody doing a 200 gr copper bullet yet?

I'm going to try later this season, but haven't started yet.

Of course the bullet is much longer than lead. That leaves me with the question, how safe is it to load light with H4895?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

JP_TX, as long as you are just now tooling up to reload the 35 Remington, let me suggest that you not forget to get yourself a Lee Factory Crimp die for that caliber. The 35 case has a dinky little shoulder that is really easy to compress out of shape during the crimping process if you do it with the seating die. I think you'll find that the LFC die, in spite of it being an extra step, will be well worth the trouble, since it doesn't press down on the case-instead, it acts like a collet and squeezes your crimps in from the sides, uniformly, all the way around.

By the way--as far as jacketed component bullets go, the 35 round nose made by Remington are hard to beat--after all, they invented the caliber in 1906 or so, and have had lots of practice making the coreloct bullet for that cartridge.