looks like my Chaparral 1876 is a keeper!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

looks like my Chaparral 1876 is a keeper!!

Post by coyote nose »

Bought it in April (28" bbl, 45-75 cal.) and started out with shotgun size groups, as many of you may recall. Glad to say I now have a few loads that average 2 or so inches (3 shots at 100 yards, bench). Below are some loads that show even more promise but I don't have enough data yet to know for sure. The testing continues!! Thanks to all who helped me.
Top left is lee bullet , pure linotype, with 55 grains VE (volume equivalent ie: bp measure at 55 gn volume) of 777, group size is 1.3"
Top right is Lee bullet, 70% linotype 30% lead, 65 gn VE pyrodex RS, group size 1.5"
bottom left is Lyman 457122, pure linotype, 65 gn VE RS, group size 0.5" (!)
Bottom right is Lyman bullet, 80% linotype, 20% lead, 65 gn VE RS, group size 1.5"
I reuse targets thus the target pasters all over the place. One of these days I will get a "keeper" target the first time I use it and thus won't have patched holes everywhere! :) [/img]
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'll say! More and more I'm thinking I need to be squirrelling away some money for a new `76.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It is definately coming along!

Please refresh my memory, what is bullet weight and approximate velocity with those loads?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I need to get casting and get to the range. I've got th brass question licked, I think. So, what are the mold numbers and what are the powder charges?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

1/2" group at a 100yds? hey, you already found your load. most scoped hunting rifles won't do that. good shooting and good post.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Fantastic!!! :D :D :D
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Those loads can't possibly work.. Why every school boy knows you have to use 30-1 or 20-1 lead/ tin with BP & the Subs!! Nice shooting!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice!

Hope you have a big supply of Lino!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

That 1/2" group was only 1 group.....my wiggles probably compensated for my wobbles!!! I need to shoot more groups with that load before I get a meaningful average. I hope that load will average around 1 1/2" or so when all is done. Tycer, no, my lino supply is limited, that is why i have been trying diluted alloys to stretch it (the 70% and 80% lino loads). I also have heard that pure lino is more brittle than other alloys, but then again I heard that at these velocities it does not matter so who knows. Ben, I tried 20:1 as I have a lot of that alloy as I use it in my trapdoors, where it shoots good. With this 1876 though it and the pure lead I tried were terrible. I am guessing the velocities I am currently getting are around 1400 fps. The pure linotype Lee bullet weighs 311 gns, the Lyman weighs 314 gns. Lee mould number is 457340, solid nose. Lyman is 457122 and is a hollowpoint design which makes for s...l...o...w.. casting. Made a plug at work for this mould so I could try it as a solid and this boosts the weight to 330 gns with pure linotype. The key I think was the use of a 0.030" LDPE wad. Every single bullet/alloy combo I tried shot better with the wad. I am using reformed .348 brass and I am somewhat afraid that all the data I have collected with this gun so far will not correlate to jamison 45/75 brass. I really want properly headstamped brass when it becomes available. Hobie, I have the loads listed under the photo I posted. I use VE as an abbreviation for volume equivalent (ie: bp measure set at this number) so no one tries actually weighing out these charges.
PS: Should also mention the tang sight from Jeffs Outfitters helps immensely. You can see it at the extreme edge of the photo.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Missed the charges... :oops:

I don't see why you won't need to do just a bit of tweaking on the Jamison brass if/when it returns to the market. I'll tell you if there are differences between the .348 and .50 AK/.50-90 brass and performance. With BP and Pyrodex I would not expect much if any difference as long as the volume of the case is filled.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice shooting - keep that one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

coyote nose.. I was joking you about the hardness of those bullets..Toungue in cheek...
I figure if I get a good bullet fit, alloy hardness won't make much difference as long as I don't exceed the velocity limitations of it..I've permanently altered my 457122 mold to defeat that pesky HP feature.. Well ballanced & much more accurate bullet now ...
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

Here's some groups that got with mine ...
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78395&hl
Last edited by John Boy on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
John
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

tang sight

Post by rjohns94 »

Which tang sight did you put on the 1876 from Jeff's outfitters, the general long range tang?