What are the lube-sizer options?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

What are the lube-sizer options?

Post by KirkD »

I'm about to spring for the cost of a lube-sizer. What ones should I be looking at? One deciding factor will be how many options they offer as far as standard sizing diameters.

I'm making the big move to casting all my own bullets in an effort to cut down shooting costs.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

First... It is always best to size bullet nose first. When it comes to rifle bullets, this is a very significant advantage in accuracy. If you don't want to go this way, then it's doesnt much matter which base first machine you use.

Now here are the reasons for nose first sizing.

1) Most lube size machines are not in perfect alighment and that mis-alignment increases with wear. Bullets shoved in base first can have more material removed from one side than another.

A nose first die has a taper and the bullet will align itself in the die. Of course with your typical pistol SWC bullet this benefit is lost.

2) Sizing base first requires pressure to be placed on the nose. In the case of rifle bullets this can expand the nose or even bend the bullet. Neither of these do anything good for accuracy.

Let me assume, you actually believe that nose first is best. What are your options.

If you are just getting started, save your money and spring for the Star. They have their standard sizing die sizes and there are folks who will custom make dies any size you want.

If, the start is a little pricy the Lee press mounted push through dies do as good a job as any and Lee will custom make any size you want if you don't want one of their stand dies. Again, there are folks who will custom make Lee type press mounted dies in any size you want.

However with the Lee, you still have the lube issue to deal with. Lee believes that everybody will want to use their liquid alox goo for lube. Well, I for one want nothing to do with that stuff.

I have a custom made gizmo that fits in the top of my reloading press and hold either Lyman or RCBS sizing dies. I have been using the Lyman lube/size machines for 45 years and have dozens of dies that fit this machine. So I size in one of these dies held in the press and remove the die, place it in the machine and lube. The bullet needs no sizing and it requires little or no force to lube the bullets.

My method requires two steps and is used for all rifle bullets. However for most pistol bullets I just lube and size in the Lyman machines and am done with it.

The Lyman and RCBS are of very similiar design and the dies will interchange. There isn't much difference to choose between the two, but RCBS does have great customer service.

The SAECO is a different design and uses dies different from the others and being a base first set up, doesn't offer any advantages over the cheaper Lyman and RCBS machines.

I hope I didn't complicate this too much, but accuracy wise, how the sizing is done can be a big factor in accuracy.

I have allot of money tied up in machines and dies and that is why I use the convoluted method I do. If I was starting from scratch I would go with the Star, even at it's heafty price.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Kirk;

Depends a lot on how much shootin' of what bullets you do.

For Volume, especially pistol/revolver bullets, you can't beat the Star. Initial investment is at least twice what the Lyman 4500 would be, and sizing dies are near twice the price. Sizing and lubing 1000 bullets an hour...???

The Lyman and RCBS units are pretty much equal now that Lyman's changed their linkage setup. Lyman dies are under $20.00 US and I prefer them to the RCBS dies because of hole spacing. The couple of RCBS ones I have only have one row of holes compared to 3 or 4 with the Lymans.

I'm an "old man", so I like "old school" sizing and lubing. I like GROOVES, not "micro bands" like the Lee tumble lube designs. You may be a bit more "progressive" than I am and fine the Lee setup just what the Doctor ordered.

Lee's "commercial" moulds tend to cast to near stated size. .357 moulds drop .357 boolits. The only one I've been satisfied with is their 230 gr (that drops 240+gr) Truncated cone .45 ACP. I just cast, tumble lube and load. No sizing.

Lee's sizer dies are simple and ¢heep. The die, a bottle of Lee Loquid Alox, and the die "box" serves as the catch box as the sized bullets come out the top of the die.

If I had to start over and settle for just one sizer/luber it'd be the Lyman 4500. Right now I have 2 Stars, 3 Lyman 450's, (one for Tamatak 50/50, one for LBT Blue, and one for BPC lube), and several unused Lee's.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD,

IIRC, current production consists of:

Lee, push thru from the bottom, convienent, but you either get another press or give up the setup on your reloading press, not that big a deal.

Lyman, excellent product, basic push down tp size, pull up to lube, very positive lube application as you can maintain good pressure fill grooves. You have to have nose punches for different bullet nose shapes, (not always bullet/size specific, but little overlap.

RCBS, shares features, operation and even interchanges dies & nose punches w/Lyman. One's gray, the other's green is probably the greatest difference.

Saeco, features & operation similiar to Lyman & Big Green, but dies & top punches do NOT interchange.

Brief, but accurate to my knowledge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I vote for Lyman or RCBS just for the interchangability of the dies and punches. Sometimes one doesn't have the size I want and the other does (i.e. .413). Some love them but I have several Lee dies and I'm not impressed; never will use them again, PITA.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

+1 to Leverluvers statement, with the addendum that you can get custom size dies from Buffalo Arms.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well men, thank you for all that helpful info. I do have several of the custon Lee push-through dies that mount in my press, but I still have to lube them afterward. I'd like to size and lube in one operation. Charles, nose first is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Butt first makes no sense at all to me, for the reason you mentioned. I always shove mine nose first through the Lee sizer.

I'm thinking of the Lyman, if it is cheaper than the RCBS and the same quality. I like the idea of interchangeable dies, and I like all the extra ones that Buffalo Arms show on their site.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Just a thought..There's another option with Lee sizing... Pan Lube & then push them through..
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ben, I have been considering pan lubing. It would be the cheapest way to go for sure.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Just a thought..There's another option with Lee sizing... Pan Lube & then push them through..
I tried that when I first started, man what a mess.<G> Even using a home made "Kake Kutter" left too much lube on the bullet.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Buy the best, get a Star. I have a Lyman 450 and have had it for years. It is O.K.. The Star is better. :wink:

If you do casual size/lube buy a Lee, just remember you get what you pay for.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Nordsee
Levergunner

Post by Nordsee »

Hallo!

I just started with casting and choosed a Saeco Lubri-Sizer.
During the one session I used it until now, it was very comfortable (for .32-20). It has a spring that preloads the pressure onto the lube, and I could size and lube about 30 bullets without touching the lube handle again, so work went very quick. A friend with an old LAM would like to have this feature on his.
However, top punches and sizers are more expensive, not interchangeable, and the LAM can size some larger diameters.

Greetings
Nordsee
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lefty Dude wrote:Buy the best, get a Star. I have a Lyman 450 and have had it for years. It is O.K.. The Star is better. :wink:
Lefty,
Are Star's still being produced? I woulda included 'em, but I thought they were outta biz.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

U-can buy Star's from Magma Engineering, Queen Creek, AZ. The maker's of the Master-Caster Mold products. They sell the Star products.

http://www.magmaengr.com
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30