Pork in the freezer via 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Pork in the freezer via 1894

Post by Dirty Dan »

I have been wondering around on a new place for the past two weeks and it has sign all over it. I have jumped hogs and deer 3 or 4 times, both times I have walked it previously.

Tonight I went prepared, 4 wheeler and all. I have an 1894 Marlin 357 Mag, rescued from a pawn shop, that had yet to draw blood, but I precede myself.

I took the Marlin and headed out for the back (north) side of this 130 acre tract. It is about 2/3 wooded but is leased for grazing and there are cattle on it. I scouted a couple of trap locations, found fresh rooting and wallows and a spot where they have been rubbing mud, a little gully with the sides all slicked up. Then a few rubs on trees.

So I hike all around the woods to the places where I had jumped hogs before and man am I tiptoeing like Hiawatha. Quiet like a little mouse. I cover most of the back side and run into a few head of cattle after jumping 3 deer, so I turn around and head for the truck, figuring I'm skunked for today. I console myself with the fact that I learned what I came for and that was the trap locations- one on each side of the creek. Well, it's nigh 'bout 6:30 and I'm striding for the truck at a pretty good pace along the edge of the woods.

For some reason I stop and take a breather and as I look over into the woods, there is a hog, just rooting along undisturbed. I take a look through the Weaver and pause for a better shot. She takes a few more steps and gives me a perfect broadside at not more than 30 yds. The 357 barks and she takes off in a big looping circle towards me, passes within 10 ft and I hear the crash a few seconds later. I step off into the woods and two little watermelons come running past me. I rip off a shot at one- a miss and he hits another gear. Mom left a fine blood trail from the pass through shot and is down in the bottom of a little draw, 30 yds from the edge of the treeline. I huff and I puff and I drag her out. I then complete the trek to the truck, unload the 4 wheeler, go load her up (barely), reload the 4 wheeler, pig and all and head for the house.

Don't know how she ran. One shoulder was completely destroyed, both lungs were goners. She will go 125 lbs and is black. I am using 158 gr Speer flat points over a max load of 18 grains of Li'l Gun. Safe in my gun. Use at your own peril. The Marlin wears a Weaver 1-3x 20 so my 55 yr old eyes can hit what I see and vice versa. It is sighted dead on at 50 yds and groups 5 shots under 2 inches. If I would take the time to do some improving on the trigger it would do even better.

First blood drawn with the Marlin. Pork is in the freezer, destined for sausage.

Sorry about the dark pics, but it was late when I got home.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess the .357 Mag works... :wink:

You sure do look a lot cleaner after a hunt than I do! :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Thanks for the story and the photos.

Good job!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Good shooting and good eating!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Your 1894c is a carbon copy of mine, nice work!

The one on the left ...
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Hobie- I went to the woods straight from work. I was hot & sweaty and I did get some blood on the back of my jeans. Can't help it when lifting dead critters, just happens every time.

IIRC that load is one I got from you off of this site. The Marlin and the load work very well, at least so far.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations! Great story and good shootin'!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good job! Ought to be some good eatin'.
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Warhawk- that's a straight 1894, vintage 1980 or 81, I think. I have an 1894C that I bought new. It has checkering, which I really prefer to do without. The 1894 has no sling swivel studs; another plus in my book.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!! :D :D :D

Terrific post, these are the kinds of posts I really want to read. Your pics are just fine bro...loved it & thanks for posting this.

(Tell me that the .357 is a weak sister & I'll tell you you're cracked!).

LeverBob
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

This was great and thanks for the lovely narrative. I agree with the last poster, LeverBob, when he said that is the kind of post I ilike to read.

I have egg on my face though....I just bought a .44 because I wasn't sure a .357 would drop a feral hog...Guess you showed me.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang, that's a long time to have pork in the freezer! :shock:

Oh, you meant the rifle! :wink:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

That was a great report, and pics. Hope to see more of that on this site!!! Congratulations. A job well done!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

congrats on the great hunt.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks for sharing that with us.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice work! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Irish Cop- don't fret about the 44. Give it a whirl and if you like it, that's all that matters. I have shot several other hogs and one deer with a little different set up: an NEF Handi in 30-30. Since it is a single shot I am using those new fangled pointy bullets- 150s. It has dropped everything I have hit with a single round. Literally no running at all. The deer took a few steps and called it quits. The hogs were unaware of me and unafraid- no adrenaline and took zero steps. I use (again a max) 32.0 gr of H-335 and it does the trick. I killed my 2006 buck with the same load behind 150 gr Speer flat points out of my 30TK. It's an 18.5 inch version of a 336. I posted pictures back then so you might be able to do a search if you want. I think you will like the Marlin. I like my 3.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting! I have learned to hunt every step in and every step out, no "traveling". It makes you luckier. That will be a good eating hog.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Outstanding. Thanks for the cool write up.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

What a way to bring home the bacon :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Good stuff Dan. Consider yourself blessed, that's a beautiful area up there around Navasota.

Chad
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Congratulations on a great hunt with a great gun, i've been using my 44 mag version for 32 years with great success.
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Great hunt, great story, and great pics. Man, I really appreciate this place...
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

clubkey wrote:Great hunt, great story, and great pics. Man, I really appreciate this place...
+1, great "oiker"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

A dandy hunt! :D :D

Jeff
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Thanks for sharing that story. Nice to see a place w/o snow right now. I really like your rifle set up. I've had real good luck with those Weavers (one 1x3, two 2.5) on my levers too.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Sounds like a lot of fun for sure! :) Congrats on taking that Hog...
Semper Fi
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nice shooting, and impressive bullet performance too!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

There's that dang underpowered 357 again. :D :D Nice post.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Post by Kismet »

Nice story and tasty-looking bacon. These posts sure me jealous of you guys that live in hog country (at least I have never heard of feral pigs in New England)!

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck