If you were to own one 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

If you were to own one 30-06

Post by rjohns94 »

For hunting in North America, which would you own and why? Costs? Action? Barrel length? Take down? Other features? Scoped? If so what power? Pre 64 Winchester? Kimber? Barrel sights? Semi? Lever? Bolt? Single shot? 30-06 only.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: If you were to own one 30-06

Post by Blaine »

I'm sure there are many, many to choose from. My older Ruger 77 with the tang safety might be close to the top of the list for a non-custom, not fancy one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Ruger Guide Gun (minus brake) in .30-06 would be close to ideal for me.

Close to original Mauser action with enough room for gunk buildup in extreme conditions. 3 position (apparently, the site thinks the first three letters by themselves are a curse word...) safety, iron sights and built in ring mounts.

I could handle a similarly equipped Savage and be fine. If I was going with non-US makers, I'd seriously consider a Sako or a CZ.

20 or 22" maximum, laminate or synthetic stock with stainless action/barrel, or if not that, then Cerakoted for durability.

I'd probably go with a 2.5-10X Nightforce or possibly a 4-14 depending on where i was planning on hunting (around here, close shots are more likely, so the lower end is better).

If I did go Winchester it'd be the pre-64 action. Irons+scope is (for me) not debatable on a serious gun. While my hunting experience is limited, I've seen scopes break and everything else too, having backups is always preferred.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

If only one, mine would be a 700 titanium (first ones). My cousin bought the one I was looking at, been trying to talk him out of it ever since. Leupold 2.5x8.
PERFECT 30-06 to me.

Byron
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Browning BLR, lightweight, 22" barrel would be MY go to 30-06. Just having a hard time figuring out if I want it in stainless and/or take-down version.

Mainehunter :wink:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Though one there, I like all my .06s. But if I could only own one it would be my 1950s Rem 760 carbine. Light and handy enough to tote all day. Plenty accurate enough to take deer out to 300 yards. Fast follow up shots you can take without changing your grip on the rifle, never have had to on deer, but have wacked 3 out of 5 pigs before they could get to cover. Bushnell Banner 3-9 with diamond plex reticle has worked well for me from close in quick shots out to 300 yards.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I love my Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight. It has a Leupold 3x9 compact. It'll shoot my 165 gr. hand loads into an inch all day long. 'long as I don't mess up on my shootin'
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A model 70 winchester featherweight topped with a leuopold 3x9 for all around North American game at long range. A remington 760 carbine for brush and long range hunting, and an 1895 Winchester SRC with the barrel cut to 18.5",s for fun :P
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Only one??? That would be easy. An original or repro M1903. -Tutt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

While I am not absolutely discounting Tutt...

If I were to be offered ONE 30-06, of my choice, it would be a tight Garand.

Period.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I would get really good with a sling shot, and a bow :lol: :lol:

^

dang Byron was at my computer again..... Log out next time bud!!
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

I could go one of 2 ways -

Pre '64 Model 70 - Well, just 'cause....

or

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter with Accu Trigger, Accu Stock, Nikon BDC glass and a Harris bi-pod. Steady, light, all weather and accurate.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Good job rafter.-7
Mike, found one of these Benelli's, but have never held or shot one.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost8522861
Byron
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I only own one rifle in 30-06... a Browning 1895 with 24" barrel and Williams FP peep. The 24" barrel makes the most of the 30-06, and the peep sight is good to 200 yards. Works perfectly for most North American hunting needs, except open grounds that require a scope.

- MacEntyre
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I wanted just one 30-06 for hunting. I settled on a Tikka T3 Lite in stainless with a 22" barrel with a Leupold VXIII 3.5X10. It's light and very accurate. For hunting, I love the detachable magazine and composite stock. It has taken a beating the past couple seasons but looks as good as new. Their customer service is pretty good. I needed a spring for my extractor and they sent me 3 complete bolt part kits. It's my third Tikka. The light weight is great for packing on an all day hunt. The action is very strong. I know because I did a bonehead thing one day, inadvertently loading and firing a .308 out of the 30-06. :oops: blew the parts out of the bolt and the magazine came apart. All parts were able to be put back together and after taking to an authorized dealer, it had no damage whatsoever. The roll pin in the bolt was loose after that and did cause a problem during a hunt, (I posted here asking for help with that). Beretta walked me though fixing it and sent the bolt kits me free of charge.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Garand. I like guns that are good to go and accurate without having to use a scope. I have some scoped guns that are good. I prefer irons.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hmm, 2 Garands. Great rifles. I have even used them for hunting but I don't know that I would go to them for the one 30-06 to be used for North American hunting. For instance, I can't hunt with a semi here in Pa. But it is interesting to me that 2 Garands were mentioned already. They are my favorite rifle all time though! Keep the thoughts coming. You are giving me much to think about.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

While I am not absolutely discounting Tutt...

If I were to be offered ONE 30-06, of my choice, it would be a tight Garand.

Period.
That would work for me too O.I. It is such a historically meaningful cartridge. I think the M1's were somewhat limited in bullet selection (ie weight) for them to function properly. Probably not so much with the earlier bolt action. Hey, why don't we have a "thumbs up" smiley thingy? :lol: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A quality bolt like a Sako or Tikka with a Leupold or other high quality 3-9x40mm.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've always liked the Savage 110/111.

22"/24" barrel. They shoot the same, it all depends on what you're comfortable carrying and where.

That and a good 3-9x or 10x Leupold scope is a set-up that's hard to beat.

Budget minded, but a rock-solid package.

JMO
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Allready got it ruger m77 tang safety
LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

My M70.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have a Rem Mountain Rifle that according to the ballistic tables and the chronograph will shoot 180 and 150 Corelokts within an inch of each other out to as far as I would shoot. Probably a Leupold 2.5-8x but a straight 4x would be fine too. Think it has a 4x Weaver on it now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got a Garand. I have an 1895 Browning.

But if I could only have one, it would be a Kimber Mountain Ascent with Leupold 2.5-8 scope on it. Light weight, dependable action, accurate, did I say lightweight?

I already have the scope. It came off of a Kimber Classic Select in .30-'06. Only reason I sold it was because it was too pretty to marm up in the woods. I like stainless and synthetic for my outdoor excursions. Someone made me a offer I couldn't refuse on the rifle so off she went. Just when I hd my sights set on a Mountain Ascent, I notice they have an Adirondack model out now....decisions, decisions.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Weatherby for me , either Vanguard or MArk 5 , and one of the nicer wood stocked models
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Garand. Oh wait... I already do own ONE .30-06! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Pretty good choice too! :lol: How the heck you find time to post driving around in a truck all day anyhow???? LOL :lol: :lol:

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There are several I would be good with, but for me it would be my 1903A3 scout.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Streetstar wrote:Weatherby for me , either Vanguard or MArk 5 , and one of the nicer wood stocked models
+1
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There are several I would be good with, but for me it would be my 1903A3 scout.
Now that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful rifle and historic too!!!!! -Tutt

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

MrMurphy wrote:The Ruger Guide Gun (minus brake) in .30-06 would be close to ideal for me.

Yeah. I so want that too.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you Tutt. I built it last winter. I'm in the process of building a 42 Husky carbine 6.5x55 for my son now. I'm hoping it turns out even better.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
The '03-A3 works for me....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Only one no problem, savage 110 with the accu-trigger, and a couple extra barrels for cartridges with the same case head diameter, 35 whelen, 270 ect ect. If you have your optic of choice set up with an EGW base and a set of Warne quick detach rings you can swap the barrels in 10 -15 minutes. If you swap the barrels and have the scope settings on a card or taped to the stock ect, you can adjust the scope well enough to get on paper the first shot, or better. If you want to clear out a shooting bench of old "dutchies" start unscrewing the barrel off a rifle at the range and watch'em flee. :lol:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

There is a fellow in Adamstown, Pennsylvania that I met about 8 years ago. Name is Mark Bansner
He makes custom guns that are actually very reasonable for the cost.
The one I looked at was called if memory serves me "the Sheep Hunter" It weighed about 6lbs All his guns then at least had a guarantee being half minute 3 shot groups or less at 100yds or he would make it right. I think now their called the Alpine Hunter Model ?? Around $2K now I believe?

Since getting it and holding him to that accuracy with no excuses in the optics dept.
Zwarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P

Since having only one and using it for whatever in North America including some fine goat hunting etc. lets make it a dandy. one! :wink:
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

My one 30.06 is a Ruger 77 (tang safety). It works for me.

Kevin
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would just go with a Remington 700 and put a Timney trigger on it. A good Weaver scope and that is all I need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm not sure which action, it would be a Ruger 77 tang safety (bolt locker), a commercial Mauser, or 03 Springfield. Match grade 22" barrel, Williams Shorty ramp in front with a Redfield Sourdough blade, steel Lyman No 57 receiver sight (slide inletted under the butt plate), Leupold VXII or III 2-7 with long range or Boone and Crocket reticle, high grade wood so beautiful I could sit on the side of a mountain and look at it for hours, shaped in sleek classic style with shadowline cheekpiece, ebony fore end tip, full wraparound checkering. Pachmayer decelerator pad, slightly undercut angle, maybe a cartridge trap in the underside of the butt. Some quality tasteful hand engraving, gold band on the barrel ahead of the receiver,....

That ought to about do it.

Oh, lets set it up for switch barrel with a 35 Whelen and 25-06 barrel as well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd have to vote for the Ruger 77. Mauser extraction and now Ruger is making their own barrels. IMHO you'd have to spend a lot more money to get anything close. I just bought one in .223.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have not owned or fired an -06 in about 30 years but if I were to buy one today it would most likely just have to be a Browning 1895 with a receiver sight. :D
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The only 06 that I do own is a Browning 1895 with a Williams receiver sight and a Recoil pad. But it's not the only rifle I own by a far margin so I don't have to rely on it for all of my hunting. If I did have to have a 30-06 as my only rifle, then I guess it would be a Bolt Action, and it doesn't really matter, it could be a Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 70, or an older Sako, or another favorite of mine, the old FN Browning Mauser because it had great iron sights already on it of top quality, add a 2 to 7 Leupold and maybe glass bed the barrel and I would be pretty happy.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That sounds pretty appealing to me as well. 8) -Tutt

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I was forced to only own one rifle it would be pretty unsatisfied . And if were only an 06 that would triple the disatisfaction .

But if I was and it were an 06 I suppose the the Remington 700BDL I have that was made in the 62-64 years would be about right .

And of course after having it I am sure I would do what I just did and rebarrel it to a 6.5-06 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Never said one rifle only. Said one 30-06 for North American hunting. :wink: You can have as many and in as many cartridges as you wish :wink:
Mike Johnson,

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Starting over, I might pick a Ruger No 1A Light Sporter with 22" barrel with iron sights and Ruger rings. Put a Leupold 2.5-8X and a Montana Sling on it, and it would be short, handy and capable of anything an 06 has any business doing...which is a lot!

But I have two 30-06 bolts: a laminated stocked, late tang safety M77 and a stainless, plastic stocked M77 Hawkeye. Both can get the job done.

Also like Winchester M70, Kimber, and Sako. Have them all, just not in 30-06.
The FN made M70's out of SC are very nice rifles!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:Never said one rifle only. Said one 30-06 for North American hunting. :wink: You can have as many and in as many cartridges as you wish :wink:
Okay as long as I'm not "forced" to make do with an 06 then I would like a Ruger #1B or possibly a Mannlicher Schienauer MCA Carbine .

I'd like the 1B to go with the rst of the Ruger #1's I already have and I'd like the Mannlicher Schoenauer if I actually planned on using the thing .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I like my Ruger American in 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 CDS, it does anything you would need a hunting rifle to do and only weighs 7.25lbs ready to hunt, shoots sub MOA and as a bonus, didn't break the bank.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Gotta agree with MacEntyre, Browning 95 with receiver sight. Maybe I would put a Marbles tang sight and a Sourdough front on it. Should do anything you need to on this continent.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Browning BLR with a 2.5X Leupold UL scope. I could even be tempted by a Take Down in the stainless laminate if available. However one of the earlier steel receiver walnut pistol grip stocked rifles would likely be the final choice. I had a 243 in one once, liked the rifle but not fond of the cartridge for my needs at the time.