Getting your first lever action?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Getting your first lever action?

Post by bigbore442001 »

If you were in a position to act as wise counsel ,what advice would you give to someone who is interested in buying their first lever action firearm? What make? What caliber? What barrel length?
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

For the first one, How could anyone go wrong with a Winchester mod 94 in good old 30-30? It can serve you well in many ways, easy to find, not super costly, a real good choice for your first lever.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

OOHHH boy did you ever open a can-o-worms :lol:

What to get depends a lot on personal feel, some will feel good in your hands and some wont, barrel length will also affect feel because a longer heavier barrel will make the gun slower to swing but steadier to hold in most cases, but a short heavy octagonal barrel will do that too.

If you dont have experience with any other guns get a .22, both Marlin and Winchester are good but Winchester is only available second hand. Again feel the difference because they both feel very different to each other.

If you are an experienced shooter then there are dozens of calibers to choose from, from small pistol calibers to buffalo guns and also a heap of high velocity calibers like .22-250 through to .270 and 30-06 in some of the modern lever action rifle designs.

What do you want it for, plinking, hunting, target shooting. If its hunting, then what are you hunting and at what range?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

What are going to use it for....Hunting or just for shooting? Budget?
For hunting...I would choose the Winchester model 94, pre 1964 30-30
20" carbine or 24" rifle.....Ammo for the the 30-30 is very common,
and cheaper than other rifle ammo
For just shooting...I would choose a rifle that is in a pistol caliber like 357 mag or 44 mag...there are many choices. Some others are 32-20
38-40, 44-40, 45 lc, 41 mag...and a few more...
and with hot loads you can use some of them for hunting too!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

hard to go against that advice. however, that assumes the person will be bent towards hunting. Would have to know the intended purpose. For plinking a model 39 or winchester 9422 in 22lr. For general purpose plinking, SASSS and hunting for the non reloader, a .357. For a reloader, more inclined to hunting, the 30-30. For a person set on hunting some bigger stuff, a 45-70 (preferrably an 1886 Browning, VBG) in any of the Marlin, winchester or browning variants. If the person has one of the pistol cartridges, they may want to marry it up with a similar lever in 32, .357, .44, .45, or blackpowder equivalents of 32-20, 44-40, etc. Too many variables in my mind to give one choice. I'm thinking though, perhaps the .357 may be the most versatile for "most situations".
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would recommend a Marlin 39A Mountie (pre-safety). .22 LR so lots of fun and relatively inexpensive shooting. No recoil.

OR

A Marlin 1894C (pre-safety) .357 Mag. An all-arounder if there ever was one. Perfect for the Eastern seaboard. One could substitute a Rossi 92 in the same chambering. Very moderate recoil.

OR

A Marlin 336T or Winchester 94 carbine in .30 WCF (.30-30) (pre-safety guns) Handloaded the .30-30 can do it all and these guns are classics. Recoil can be noticeable to some folks.

It all depends on your level of shooting experience.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Everyone's got this pegged thoroughly, and I agree with all the thoughts here. So... the only thing I'd add is that I would REALLY, REALLY encourage them to make the jump into the first levergun, no matter which one they picked, then offer to help them get the feel for it! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Not to beat a dead horse, since the others said much the same:

[what advice would you give to someone who is interested in buying their first lever action firearm?]
Go everywhere, and handle all makes & sizes, to see what floats your boat

[What make?] - Whatever answer step #1 brings

[What caliber?] - JMO, but .22 L.R. unless deer hunting, then .30-30 or .35 Rem

[What barrel length?] - See answer #1, but IMHO 16" - 20"
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my first was a old marlin in 35 rem.I should have hung on to that one.
pete
DAV life member.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Plain-Jane 30-30, either Marlin or Winchester 20 inch carbine is a handy thing to have. Winchester pre-64's are pricey--if on a budget don't sneer at a bargain POST 64-especially those made after 1972 or so. Winchesters, regardless of year made, always had good barrels--but some horrible looking receivers for a while. Except for the crappy cartridge lifter they used between 1964 to about 1970 or so, they functioned OK- that tin lifter can be replaced with a later, steel version. Marlins never had a pre-64 problem. Only lately have they put a safety on that thing that would be best served being shoved up some lawyer's rectum--but it's really not that obtrusive, and could be ignored if you like. Marlin, I think, would be best improved these days by dropping the checkering from their wooden stocks and forends, and going back to the look and feel of Grandpa's guns. Either brand, though, might just fit your bill. If you find a good buy, though, on a Marlin in 35 Remington, snap it up. :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buy the .30-30 from Jim on the Mozambique thread. Rough looking, but I bet it shoots good...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

You need a .22 rifle. If you already have one in some other action, then get the .30-30 first, I don't care if it's a Marlin or Winchester. If you don't already have a .22, then get a 39A or 9422 first.

Of course if you get a good deal on one or the other, then get that one first.

Other than that, it will take a little more thinking about what you want it for, but these are universal.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's see my first was a BLR 81 in .243 and the second was a 94 30-30. So I guess that is what I recommended.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Marlin 336 in either 30-30 or .35 Remington.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hey, lots of mentions of the 35 Remington today... good advice.

I would get a rifle caliber, then reload for it for plinking. It's better to have too much power than too little. More power gives you more range and a better trajectory. If you get into it a little more, then get the .357 or the .22.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie said pretty much what I'd say:

A .22 LR (Marlin, Winchester, Henry, or 'even' a Ruger) if you don't already own one in another action.

If you do own a .22 rifle, and already own a revolver in .32-20, .38, .357, .44, .45, etc, then a lever gun to match.

If no revolver, a .357 with 16" if you like to shoot, 20" if you haven't shot much. If you live in bear country or want more punch, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull in a short action, or .444 or .45-70 in a long action.

Then start saving up for the other seventeen you'll want to buy after you realize how fun they are... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

357 Mag in an 1894 Marlin. Cans to squirrels to deer. You can reload it if you want, cheap if you don't.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I posted pretty much the same question a few months ago and ended up with a .44 Mag Marlin 1894SS. I like big bore cartridges though. I intend on hunting with this rifle in thick brush and the handy, short barreled rifle, with open sights, is exactly what suited MY needs. Will you be shooting over long distances? If so, I'd go with a true rifle cartridge like the 30-30. The pistol cartridge .44 Mag is only good lout to 100-150 yards, open sights, depending on the shooter. If you plan on sending soda cans scooting across the range then I'd go with a .22. I wish you luck and the members at this sight were very warm and informative towards me. I wish you luck in your choice and make sure to post what you decide on...pictures would be nice too!
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Top choice, IMHO, is a .44 Mag for caliber and one of the Winchester 1892's that are being re-created now days for model. Again, IMHO, it is the most versatile of all calibers.
It can be used for varmints to elk with many stops in between. If you want a challenge for varmints try PD's at 2-300 yards!
It can punch paper close or far away. If I can take down those metal critters at 200 meters with a revolver, surely I can do pretty well with a lever action!
It can serve the HD role as well as any possible lever action. Some of the .44 Specials or some lower powered mags will do nicely - and without making over penetrating shots through all parts of your house and the house of the people 1/2 mile down the road - if the proper bullets are used.
That is more than enough of the IMHO stuff!

Grace and Peace
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I still have my first lever gun; a Winchester 94, 1977, 30-30, and it even has my name carved in the stock with a nice floral pattern(I didn't carve it but found it that way in a local gun shop many years ago.) It literally had my name all over it. :D
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I sorta feel that buying a first rifle is a lot like buying a first boat or a first motorcycle. You should buy the biggest and best one that you can afford and that appeals to you viserally.

I didn't do that with my first motorcycle nor my first rifle, but I did with my first boat. Was better satisfied with the boat than either the rifle or the motorcycle. Lesson learned.

My first rifle was a Rem 700 ADL in 6mm Rem. The first year it was offered in the mid-60's. It was fun. I learned to handload for it, but I soon grew bored with it because, while accurate, it was limited by bullet selection as to what I could hunt with it. It was stolen in a burglary and I never replaced it.

Along those lines my first levergun was my .444 Marlin. An excellent choice if I do say so myself. With my .444 at the range, when asked, "What do you hunt with that?" I reply simply. "Anything I want!" and mean it.

I am better satisfied with the Marlin. Lesson learned.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

My first was a Win 94 30-30 and I was so happy witht that rifle. In this day and age though I would recomend a Rossi .357 mag in mod 92. This liittle rifle is so versitile. you can shoot .38s for small game and .357.mags up to deer. with the .38s you can plink at very little cost. I think its a geat way to go for any beiginner.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I mean no offense to anyone or their choice; and while I didn't do it either, this is almost not worthy of a discussion.

Depending on the age/size of the recipient, either a Winchester/Marllin .22 or a Winchester/Marlin .30-30.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!