G42

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

G42

Post by TedH »

I stopped by a local shop the other day and got to coon finger one of the new Glock 42 pistols. I'm already a Glock fan, but this little 380 is a super CCW gun. I can't believe it took them so long to make this gun. I WILL have one! :D
NRA Life Member
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: G42

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not so impressed myself. I know Glock fans have been clamoring for a Glock .380, but this one is large for a .380, is still a .380, and with the quality and design problems Glock has with the Gen 4s, I would be hesitant about any new Glock design until it proves itself.

I know people will buy it because it is a Glock. Fans have been falling all over themselves to proclaim it the best new firearm of the year.

In my opinion, it is too late, too big, and caliber is too small. I can get 9mms in the same size or smaller pistol, why would I buy a .380?

And yes, people are already asking us for tactical KNG drop-leg or MOLLE vest multi-retention-level holsters for them. :lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I already have a slightly bigger 9mm (Shield) so it doesn't do much for me even with 15 years carrying a Glock.

A .380 is on the very low end of reliable performance for carry. People will buy them, but in a year when they introduce a similar or slightly larger 9mm model (trust me....it's coming) they'll sell even more.

Glock USA has been telling Glock Austria for years what they need to do to keep up with the market. It took them nearly 7 years to get the Gen 4 going despite Glock USA telling them they should be looking at that in 2000. Glock Austria as usual with Germans/Austrians, think they know better.....till sales started dropping.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

To each his own. As you can see, it's just slightly larger than the Ruger that everyone loves, and it has real sights, a much better trigger and a locked breech action, unlike my PPK. Yeah, it's "just" a 380, but in this gun, follow up shots if needed will be much quicker and more accurate than the LCP, in my opinion anyway.
G42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got to handle one at the Toy Store a few days ago. I'll bet it's easier to shoot than my LCP, but, my LCP was lighter, and narrower, and I already have it. Yet, that Glock sure looked spiffy :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote:Glock Austria as usual with Germans/Austrians, think they know better.....till sales started dropping.
The US market is different than any other. It is driven by consumers who are always looking to change what they have, for more feature (needed or not). The customers do not draw the design from the manufacturers, the manufacturers push the design on the customers with marketing.

So from a foreign point of view, the Gen 4 Glock was unnecessary. The Gen 3 was fine, why change it?

What they have trouble understanding is that in the US market, when one company markets a design feature (even if it is totally unnecessary), you have to counter with your own, or you loose the market.

The average American shooter wants to be able to switch things around, he want adjustments, levers, buttons, switches, interchangeable parts; he wants reticles that are astoundingly complicated, he wants slings that resemble and octopus, he wants to "make adjustments on the fly" "while he is being shot at" and spends more time researching and arguing features than he does shooting.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

TedH wrote:Yeah, it's "just" a 380, but in this gun, follow up shots if needed . . .
You can count on it with a .380. :D

Or with any other caliber. It is a real consideration - something to plan and train for.

If I was to carry a .380, it could be a consideration. 10 years ago, they would have owned the market. 5 years ago, we always had the max allowable number of Seecamp .380s (3) on the year-long backorder with people contacting us every month asking us to get one for them.

Now, there are a number of good options for .380s, but more importantly, there are some really nice 9mms that are the same size. I can't see carrying a .380 when I can carry a 9mm.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm tempted to buy one, but think I'll wait and see if they come out with the same thing in 9mm. Then I might buy two.
It's about the same size as a Kahr CM9. I had a CM9 and liked it, but wasn't crazy about the trigger or the way the magazine fed.

I'm trying to find a Remington R51 to coon finger. I like the little gun from what I know, but I can't find info on whether it has a magazine disconnect safety or not.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

TedH wrote:To each his own. As you can see, it's just slightly larger than the Ruger that everyone loves, and it has real sights, a much better trigger and a locked breech action, unlike my PPK. Yeah, it's "just" a 380, but in this gun, follow up shots if needed will be much quicker and more accurate than the LCP, in my opinion anyway.
G42.jpg

Ted,
i'm also interested in one of those too but am curious if you had any idea how it compared in size to the Sig 238? - The 238 goes everywhere i go , but i'm also OCD enough to buy a G42 eventually just because its a Glock

edit: Google was my friend :)

http://www.guns.com/2014/01/21/glock-42 ... -8-photos/
----- Doug
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I think my wife will really be interested in the handgun. She is rather small and not particularly strong in the hands and wrists. She presently carries a SW60, but the double action trigger is tough for her (even after spring replacement). My wife has trouble retracting the slide on tiny .380s and 9mms, and they are too snappy for her to enjoy shooting.

The Glock 42 will be less snappy and she should be able to cycle the slide reliably. Perfect, I think. And in reality, the 42 in her hands (5'2" and slim) will look and act much like a 19/23 in my hands.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

InTheWoods wrote:I think my wife will really be interested in the handgun. She is rather small and not particularly strong in the hands and wrists. She presently carries a SW60, but the double action trigger is tough for her (even after spring replacement). My wife has trouble retracting the slide on tiny .380s and 9mms, and they are too snappy for her to enjoy shooting.

The Glock 42 will be less snappy and she should be able to cycle the slide reliably. Perfect, I think. And in reality, the 42 in her hands (5'2" and slim) will look and act much like a 19/23 in my hands.
That was why we went in the store in the first place, I wanted to see how my wife liked it, and she is the same size as your wife, and she doesn't like DA revolvers. She really liked it too, so it's entirely possible we may end up with a matching pair. :D
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I used to poo-poo the 380 too, until I got my wife one and did a comparison to my 9mm and 45. The truncated cone fmj 380 penetrates to the same spot as the 9mm gold dots I carry.

then too, the 380 has a better record as a fight stopper than I ever would have credited it. I posted that study before and will again when I find the link.

it is also significantly smaller than any 9 I have seen of the same capacity. the lc9 is almost as big as my xdsc, and that's a lot more bulk than the lcp.

not claiming anything wierd about the little mousegun, but it does use the same size projectile as the 9mm, the 38spcl, and the 357 magnum, and it hides far better than any of those guns.

if you haven't done the penetration tests, try it, you might surprise yourself. I did.

just saying :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My biggest complaint about .380 is that it is so popular, it's hard to find any ammo other than FMJ, and even that is scarce.

Plus, I like my handgun, my backup, and my carbine all using the same ammo and magazines. :D The magazine part won't be true if Glock does come out with a single-stack nine.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

vancelw wrote:My biggest complaint about .380 is that it is so popular, it's hard to find any ammo other than FMJ, and even that is scarce.
Worth looking at FMJ for carry ammo in the .380 - it will give you the penetration that you need. It makes it more like shooting someone with a 9mm FMJ, except without the over-penetration issues.

I would rather have an 9mm FMJ that penetrated as deep as it needs to than a 9mm HP that stops too short.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote:My biggest complaint about .380 is that it is so popular, it's hard to find any ammo other than FMJ, and even that is scarce.
That's why I have Ranch Dogs 380 mold. It's a dandy little flat nosed 100 grain bullet. I figured since those flat nosed hard cast hunting bullets of his work so well, then a 380 flat nose hard cast should work just as well on two legged critters. As soon as the weather improves a little bit I am ready to try those in some ballistic gel, along with a couple different jacketed hollow points.
NRA Life Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Will hold out for the 9MM version hopefully with extended Magazines. 8)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Worth looking at FMJ for carry ammo in the .380 - it will give you the penetration that you need. It makes it more like shooting someone with a 9mm FMJ, except without the over-penetration issues.

I would rather have an 9mm FMJ that penetrated as deep as it needs to than a 9mm HP that stops too short.
MY 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 147 gr gives me the penetration I need. That's why I don't want a .380. Not when 9mm can be had in the same size. I'll wait and see if Glock follows up the 42 with a 9mm.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not when 9mm can be had in the same size
I can't think of a 9mm the same size as the LCP....If I holster something, it will be a .45acp 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TedH wrote:
That's why I have Ranch Dogs 380 mold. It's a dandy little flat nosed 100 grain bullet. I figured since those flat nosed hard cast hunting bullets of his work so well, then a 380 flat nose hard cast should work just as well on two legged critters. As soon as the weather improves a little bit I am ready to try those in some ballistic gel, along with a couple different jacketed hollow points.
is that mold available any more? I think you can load that into the other 38s too, is that correct?

thanks
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

vancelw wrote:MY 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 147 gr gives me the penetration I need. That's why I don't want a .380. Not when 9mm can be had in the same size. I'll wait and see if Glock follows up the 42 with a 9mm.
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a 9mm diameter .380 FMJ that penetrates deep enough, opposed to a 9mm diameter .380 HP that does not penetrate deep enough reliably.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote: I can't think of a 9mm the same size as the LCP....If I holster something, it will be a .45acp 8)
Kimber Solo and SIG 938 are a couple nice pocket-sized pistols, also the SIG P290 is pretty small, and there are a others from smaller manufacturers, like Rohrbaugh's r9.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

7.62 Precision wrote:
BlaineG wrote: I can't think of a 9mm the same size as the LCP....If I holster something, it will be a .45acp 8)
Kimber Solo and SIG 938 are a couple nice pocket-sized pistols, also the SIG P290 is pretty small, and there are a others from smaller manufacturers, like Rohrbaugh's r9.
If I ever get to feeling naked with a LCP, I'll go back to my AirWeight with my Favorite 130gr +P JHPs..... 8) The LCP is strictly based on size and weight. I also have an AirLite that is pretty cool, too....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

7.62 Precision wrote:
vancelw wrote:MY 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 147 gr gives me the penetration I need. That's why I don't want a .380. Not when 9mm can be had in the same size. I'll wait and see if Glock follows up the 42 with a 9mm.
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a 9mm diameter .380 FMJ that penetrates deep enough, opposed to a 9mm diameter .380 HP that does not penetrate deep enough reliably.
Maybe I was the one who was unclear :D

I don't NEED a .380 of any kind....when I can have a 9mm that is just as small and has a bigger selection of factory ammo.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

7.62 Precision wrote:
The Kimber Solo is a nice (and pricey) gun, but it's even bigger than a few 9s out there. The other's you listed are boat anchors. Only brand of firearm I've ever owned that I will never, ever own again. Even after a trip to the Sig custom shop, it was still unusable. No, I'm not afraid of being sued. I have well-documented evidence. But that's another thread entirely.

Ted showed the LCP against the G42, and my Kahr CM (or PM9) are even a little smaller than the G42. I'm not knocking anyone who carries a .380. A lot of the time I have a NAA .22LR on me, because the gun you have is better than the gun you don't have.

I'm always glad to see mfgs bring new products to us, even if it's not what I personally want. It shows the industry is strong when they can take risks with new products. Some things simply amaze me that there is enough market share!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Grizz wrote:
TedH wrote:
is that mold available any more? I think you can load that into the other 38s too, is that correct?

thanks
I don't think those are available any longer. I load them in light 38s for my wife to practice with too. They drop from the mold about .358".
NRA Life Member
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

BlaineG wrote:
Not when 9mm can be had in the same size
I can't think of a 9mm the same size as the LCP....If I holster something, it will be a .45acp 8)
LCP--

Taurus 709--

Not the same size... But dern close. Throw Keltec's PF9 in the same category.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

vancelw wrote: Ted showed the LCP against the G42, and my Kahr CM (or PM9) are even a little smaller than the G42.
That's too bad about your SIG. I like the Kahrs.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: I already got the LCP, and a couple suitable backups....I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, here. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My Star .380 fills my hot weather carry void in Phoenix.
The holster in the picture is a Bianchi for a Colt Mustang, I took it to a cobbler and he added a piece to get it to sit right in the holster.
Remember it shoots from a locked link, so you have some versatility when reloading.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
I would be interested in reading that penetration thing about .380.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:Grizz,
I would be interested in reading that penetration thing about .380.
Mescalaro, here's the data I was thinking of:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

compare the stats for the 9 to the 380

here's the 380 page from Steve's Pages

http://www.stevespages.com/page8f380acp.html

and here is the BuffaloBore 380 gelatin test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3b3ZGmZuT0

notice the shape of the bullet, this is close to the shape of the federal american eagle fmjfp that I carry in my 380
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks, very interesting.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here's more a recent test that I had not seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E

I think that anyone poo-poo-ing the 380 should still not stand in front of one.

think about it, the 9 mm, 380, 38spcl, and 357 are all shooting variations of the same bullet, and the 357 is renowned as a stopper because it shoots heavier bullets, not because it shoots them faster.

UPDATE ! !

check this out, here is another video comparing the hardball loads in .380. The one I use and the one I recommend is the one on the right in the intro, the truncated cone design called FMJFP by American Eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E

So an argument could be made that the mousegun has too much penetration, but bones and belt buckles will take a lot of steam out of the light projectiles. I think the tip-of-the-nose hold gives the best combo of stopping the fight and not having casualties beyond.

Lest anyone say that I am extolling the virtues of the 380 as a replacement with the ones that begin with 4, I AM NOT.

I am saying that seven rounds that can kill as well as a 9mm is a lot better than the 9mm left in the car because it prints thru the short shorts or spandex or whatever.

I know there is a huge amount of prejudice against the 380, which is giving a performance right up there with 38spcl, by folks who prefer to carry 5 rounds in a bigger, heavier gun. kwim?

Grizz
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I asked an old friend, retired military, why he carried a .380 mustang when he had a dang truckload of big pistols. He said that there is one thing you can say about a .380, "If you shoot some body with one, it is going to hurt, bad."
I have always liked .380s, never had one, always looking around for a mustang, but having got three new Glocks last year, a 9 and two 10 s, I think I'm starting to admire plastic guns for carry. The little Glock 42 sounds like just the ticket.
Ted I say buy it, bring it to Texas, and I'll try it!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

octagon wrote:"
I have always liked .380s, never had one, always looking around for a mustang, !
The Mustang is back in production , both with an alloy and a polymer frame --- as well , the Sig 238 is darn close, close enough to use the same magazines
-- both are little baby 1911's -- they're both expensive, but the Colt is even more so

-- I've been carrying a 238 for 4 years now, It has great sights and is as accurate as a lot of my larger guns - (i'll likely try a G42 when the buzz dies down about 'em a bit

--- 238 and an older Mustang -- could be siblings

----- Doug
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the links Grizz. As soon as we get a good day above freezing I'm going to do my own ballistic gel test with the Ranch Dog cast bullet, Remington Golden Sabre, Hornady XTP, and the CorBon JHP.
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I look forward to that Ted

Did you notice in the video of the two hardball test, that it appeared to me that the roundball drifted out of line and exited the side or near to the side. The flat meplat appeared to me to go dead straight.

I am curious about this because this is evidence of one of the stated benefits of the flat meplat bullet, they go straight thru and are less prone to veering off course.

Something to watch for. Though I have captured roundball in water and it seemed to stay in line from jug to jug. Maybe it's different in flesh, which the gel is supposed to mimic.

Grizz
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I predict that the G42 will be extremely popular and will remain so even if Glock comes out with the same gun in 9mm.

Why? Because of the lack of recoil. In this country the women are women and so are most of the men. It's one of the reasons the 223 is so popular too. I read a review of a Kel-Tec 223 the other day and the author was "concerned" about the recoil in a 4.5 pound 223 rifle! Seriously!

Sheesh.

Cat
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I may be in trouble. I just bought a 6 pound rifle in .325 WSM. Better call me a waaaahmbulance.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What recoil ?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Vance, if you need to get acclimated I'll let you borrow my 45-70 Handi rifle and some of my 2050 fps 350 gr. Swift A frame loads. :D
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

But Ted, this X-Bolt has a special recoil pad that eliminates ALL recoil. In fact, I will probably have to hang on to it to keep it from flying downrange! Is your hand-rifle lighter than my Guide Gun? Those are about the same loads I shot in my 1886 Browning rifle and now in the GG.

Back to business....I may break down and buy one of those G42s. They are certainly cheap enough.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I think they weigh about the same at around 7 lbs. Handi might be a few ounces lighter.

You might want to put a lanyard on that X bolt to keep it from jumping downrange. :D
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I got my hands on the G42 .380 on Monday and really liked it. The only one they had was their display model and they had 250 orders on it already! Today I called and put in my order. The salesman said the Austin store had over 800 orders! It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get it.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I use to be a big fanboy for the .380acp and 5-shot J-frames...But now I have been carrying either a Glock 27/26, (sold the G-27 recently) and have been using the G-26 in .9mm as my EDC/BUG...I really like the .9mm over the .380acp or the .38spl, shot from a snub (I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P, same ammo that NYPD and other larger PD's use)...I also like the mag capacity of the G-26 (10+1)...plus I have no problem in pocket carrying the G-26.

Having been involved in "Active-Shooter" training over the last six years has convinced me that 10 +1 and an extra mag (G-19 mag, 15 +1) is a better choice than carrying a J-frame with two speed strips, or a smaller .380 auto and an extra mag...just my lousy cranky back-east opinion... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Took 4 months but I got my G42 last Wednesday. Also managed to find lots of ammo, even though it's twice as expensive as 9mm. (Which is why I prefer 9mm over .380) I haven't shot it yet, but I am really gonna like this little pistol.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

th.jpg
Then you can get the 9mm version when they release them in another year or so. :D
NRA Life Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Grizz wrote:I look forward to that Ted

Did you notice in the video of the two hardball test, that it appeared to me that the roundball drifted out of line and exited the side or near to the side. The flat meplat appeared to me to go dead straight.

I am curious about this because this is evidence of one of the stated benefits of the flat meplat bullet, they go straight thru and are less prone to veering off course.

Something to watch for. Though I have captured roundball in water and it seemed to stay in line from jug to jug. Maybe it's different in flesh, which the gel is supposed to mimic.

Grizz
This is interesting, Woodleigh promote a hydrostatically stabilized dangerous game bullet. The shape is basically a medium flat nose meplat and very cylindrical. Also cast bullet hunters rave about the penetration and straight wound channels of wide meplat big bore bullets. Their science may be suspect and not verifiable by me.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/prod ... stabilised

However I am always reminded of a story from the internet credited to Col. Copper. While attending a meeting to discuss the then new 5.56 Nato as a military round he quoted a Marine Gunny's statement. "I ain't got time for them to bleed to death."
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:
Then you can get the 9mm version when they release them in another year or so. :D
Yep :D :D :D
I already have two Glock 9s and a 45. Need more....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No thanks, I'll stick with my AMT Backup in .380 (single action). If nothing else, I can smack someone up side the head with it. It's a nice hunk of solid stainless steel.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad